Mike Azariah for CSM16

Mike was/is the hisec candidate, especially for newbros

I have seen this proposal often, over the years. Thing is . . . very hard to implement. How do you decide who belongs to which ‘riding’ when we all can fly all over the place. I am willing to be that there are a lot of goons who never leave hisec, including some of their ‘high command’ Would you welcome them getting voted in as they lay claim to be hisec people?

Would you have each of us fill out some form or survey to find which voting block we truly belonged to? Or would you allow data to tell us what our designation is. Wormhole daytrippers, are the wh or hisec? As with a lot of the game the concept may be easily said but the mechanics of it behind the simple idea makes for a much more complex knot. In the real world who can vote is dependent on place of residence, quite often., But in space a lot of us have no home to speak of.

I would also argue that it would become a granularity issue. I know damn well that a lot of folks who call Amarr home would not want some Jita scum representing them. Going back to CSM8 which was the first election to use the STV voting system there were a lot of surprises from that election. The biggest (for me) was I finally won a seat.

So perhaps I am biased in favour of the current election scheme but that does not mean that I will immediately reject other proposals, just I will question how valid they will be and how easily implemented. Going back to 2015 when Corbexx was elected as the wormhole rep and then signed on with the Goons. (CSM10) Even when you guys elect folks who have the pedigree to say who they represent you cannot be sure that they will continue to do so.

So, how would you vet the person to represent who they say they will? How will you vet the voters to be voting in the right category?

m

1 Like

There are two Goons, one INIT, 1 PL, 1 Test, 1 PH, 1 FRT in terms of nullsec players on the CSM this year.

I’ve had to say this before. As much as I would like to see more representation from all of them. All of them have Goon’s in them in some form. So it doesn’t bother me that there are a lot of Goon’s on the CSM. They have the experience and have been more than willing to shoot themselves in the foot to make the game better. Something CCP is unwilling to do. :roll_eyes:

Mike gets my vote.

1 Like

You already have my vote.

Now, if you bring Brisc along, or persuade him to run again - if it’s persuasion he needs - that will be two votes.

CCP deciding how to sort candidates into categories would be the natural solution.

While open democractic representation is nice, it’s all CCP’s game property and they have ultimate control. As you and others have said, the primary purpose of the CSM is to be an expert focus group. It would make sense that the best composition of that group is partially determined by the players and partially by CCP. CCP can also use their internal data to determine what proportion of the playerbase falls under each category they decide on, and allocate representation based on that.

On more sensible topics, it seems a lot of the newbros I’ve seen and talked to go through the standard Tutorial > Career Agent > SOE arc progression, then hit a wall where they’re not sure what they’re meant to be doing in the game. Any thoughts on adding some additional guidance beyond those first 3 steps?

Looking at career agents for common newbro income sources, they explain the bare bones on how to do it, but don’t give much help on doing it well.

• Teaching newbro miners about compressing, as well as basic in-game tools to compare the estimated value of different ores in raw / refined ores given their current skills.

• Teaching newbro explorers how to move around hostile space to reach the good rewards, a pop up letting them know if that relic/data site has deadly NPCs, etc.

Convention wisdom is to join a decent corp and learn via them (for good reasons), but lots of players don’t (I didn’t).

Keep doing the great work for newer players Mike, o7 from Bombers Bar

1 Like

On this vein, though, could asset safety be used almost like an escrow to mitigate that impact? 3 months after a ‘wealth tax’ type thing goes in, if you’ve been out of game completely since before it went live, your stuff goes into asset safety, and you can pick and choose what to get out when you come back, and what you don’t want to have to pay taxes on just yet? (For that matter, could asset safety be used as a kind of tax harbor, since you don’t have direct access to those items?)

1 Like

I really gotta make some time to come fly with BB again, I miss it. I still totally suck at bombing mind you.

There is a fine line in the latter bit though. How far into the game do we want to ‘guide’ and show before we slap the newbies on the butt and yell “Go get em, kid”? As I said earlier I would like them to see some more of the ‘other stuff’ that Eve has to offer but somehow without feeding them to the wolves as mid afternoon appies.

m

We could call them ‘Nooby Snacks™’.

2 Likes

I voted for you in CSM 15 because I felt that the NPE was the most important problem facing Eve. In assessing my choice, I cannot tell if you were able to have any impact. CCP doesn’t seem to be working on the NPE.

I cannot ask anything that is covered by the NDA - but in your own assessment, is your presence on the CSM having any benefit for new players?

Yes, it just is not visible.

That is the reason I am running for another term, to see things through.

m

edit, addendum

Look I am an internet space politician and I am asking you to take my word for something without being specific or having anything to show you aside from my track record. I KNOW that is a risky and probably stupid thing to do but it is the situation I am in. You asked

and my simple answer is yes.
m

2 Likes

You’re always welcome along no matter how rusty, we’ve even got a 48h rolling fleet this weekend people can drop in and out of whenever.

I think the issue is that player tactics have advanced so much over the years, and what we teach newbros hasn’t really adapted to that. I totally understand how great it is to work stuff out for yourself, but I think there’s a few more basic things we can teach to newbros around the interface and in-game tools that doesn’t take away that thrill of discovery and gives them a less unforgiving experience.

So Mike, there is kind of a big problem with Pochven - you can’t refit your ships in NPC stations and you can’t use the star gates unless you grind standings with the Bandito Doritos.

I know it is not your focus. When this gets discussed with the CSM, are you going to sit quietly with your hands folded in your lap, or are you going to have an opinion?

Present tense. I do have an opinion. A lot of it has to do with the fact that the whole thing still feels unfinished, especially on the EDENCOM side. That the Pochven content is mainly being run by a very small group of people, In the past this was a recipe for removal of content.

So CCP has to decide. Do they scrap Trigs or do they double down and try to make it something that more of us can access and enjoy? I support the latter including easier movement and access.

m

2 Likes

Hi Mr. Frizzle,

Are there any new candidates this year that interest you and think could be a good addition to the CSM?

Will vote for you as per usual.

2 Likes

No real players, simulate it. With trash talk in local (overacting to make it fun), unfair things, surprises, and Aura to help you out … slow motion “PvP” first, then faster.

Please god, no. No automated trash talk from Iceland. It’s a bad idea. They’re isolated and insular enough that they didn’t know Apartheid was a bad name for a drink where light and dark alcohol stays separate.

2 Likes

I agree that there are some good folks running but I will wait until all the hats are in the ring before I start making my ‘list’. And I have a lot of reading to do on the new folks as opposed to us old warhorses like myself and @Brisc_Rubal .

m

1 Like

Perhaps because most of us agreed that Eve needed to ‘go on a diet’? Unlike you, we saw a bit more of the numbers.

Well, then, there you go. I will answer the rest of your post but it does seem that you have already made up your mind to not vote for any of the incumbents.

Actually I also fight for the alpha accounts and work a lot in that direction. You know, the folks who are not paying and unable to vote in the upcoming election. Thing is? You seem to be laser focused on us publicly fighting CCP, calling them out and yelling from the rooftops. I don’t work like that, because my experience is that a calm and mannerly demeanor gets me listened to more than haranguing them in public.

<assorted ranting about Rattati and video/streamers.>

I cannot actually speak to your delusions about Rattati so we will just move on . . .

I think you will find that I do read the forums and so does one or two other CSM 15 members.

No, I already covered that above but it bears repeating. Getting angry just makes people defensive, not cooperative. Even when I think that CCP is\screwing up I try for a reasonable approach, showing them how this might effect the game in ways that they apparently overlooked. I do not yell, I do not bang a shoe on the table, or throw spoons. I reason, listen, work towards solutions.

Now, as I said, I am fairly sure that you will not be voting for me, that is fine and your right. But I spent the time answering your ‘questions’ because I am hoping that this might convince others that I AM the right person to re-elect.

m

5 Likes

Are you nuts? I’ve been shitting on scarcity weekly on the Meta Show, and I’ve opposed it constantly. It’s in my platform.

It’s literally the #1 thing on my list.

1 Like