Mining Redesign: Big, Lone Rocks

That’s because it was a bug and wasn’t designed around growing that big. Big roids are, the way I see it, things that spawn in big and only get smaller as they’re calved apart by strip miners into belts or what have you. We have planets and moons, the point you raise is not actually a problem for something designed to be big.

So you’re thinking anom spawning rocks which get chewed up and go away?

That’s what it seems shaping up to be, something to add variety to the mining scene, I guess and give larger corps or ‘freegangs’ small semi-permanent locations to control. This would be near perfect for long-term uses of those “day trip” stations CCP was talking about, possibly even the smaller citadels/engcoms. Ideally, months of content, but balance needs could throttle that down to weeks or more probably days of group mining.

Ooh! You could put them on randomly alinged long-period orbits (i.e. comets) out into deep space- maybe cometary variants of the anom that spawns a mix of ice and ore belts (or even mixed ice/ore belts?) that take months to process into and out of a system, allowing a station to ride out into deep space- again taking months to get out there, bringing back the allure of deep space pockets in a very controlled fashion. An emergent reward worth fighting over or denying to others. ED: are moving planetary orbits even a thing in this game?

Simply wouldn’t work in high sec. It would be a 24/7 non-stop gank, bump, and grief fest. I’d make sure of it…

An area with a constant thrust vector adjustment? Now we’re talking about chasing down an asteroid.

1 Like

It’s a thought.

We really need to be more supportive when it comes to certain ideas, instead of dismissing them because they potentially could create content. People in PF&I really need to realize the massive cognitive dissonance they appear to be suffering from.

1 Like

I dont see much gameplay difference between a big rock and a belt other than the big rock is more afk friendly and has less ore variety.

Have to agree, if its just normal ore. then how is it different from a belt?

If you want to find miners… go to belts = Big Rock does not add anything.
If you want to mine… everything is all in belts already = Big Rock does not add anything.
For adding drama over who has a claim, why would it be different from a belt = Big Rock does not add anything.

Easier to AFK mine = Big Rock is bad, Mkay.

However, Saying all that… I can agree with the OP when he said “There’s still some nostalgia for large-scale environment objects”, I would have like to see Spodzilla.

1 Like

That should be really rare, but that should exist.
Even if it seems “op”, that should be a real thing, and it would be fun.
For miners, AND gankers…
And only in belts, not anomalies, so rorquals won’t go there

1 Like

Everything is easy to AFK mine. If a MOVING asteroid would be easy to afk mine then it would equally be able to be attacked at random just as easily to kill AFK miners.

1 Like

I like the idea, but also want mining to no longer be AFK. I think it should be active like carrier ratting. No drones. Mining laser has to retarget and recycle continuously.

Carrier ratting?

1 Like

So… anything can be AFK’d?

Everything can be AFK’d. Including structure defense.

Because existing and doing nothing can cause things to happen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.