Missions Faction Removal

i’d like to see ccp add faction / corporation standing tags into the game.

It would bei enough If you could Tell the Mission npc the factions you will Accept to Fight. Consequences: If you Accept to Fight vs more factions you get better payments for all Missions cause you are a more valuable merc

2 Likes

I really wouldn’t count on any real changes being made to the mission system. The last real changes made to missions was when CCP added the burner missions several years ago and the last real changes before that was when CCP added one single new mission, Dread Pirate Scarlet. CCP really doesn’t seem to give a hoot about missions.

I like that idea. It would invite new players to discover what New Eden is all about and make them take decisions, get involved in the life of their chosen faction and they could take that a step further with Faction Warfare.
I don’t think the Standing system is bad at all. It’s an integral part of what makes New Eden a living galaxy with factions, betrayal and combat. It’s only complicated because the factions aren’t islands onto themselves and do interact with each other through the players doing missions or anything else for that matter.
I’d like to see better missions, that run longer and are more entertaining but that’s for another thread.

I hate grinding standings. It’s a grind designed to keep you busy (and, in the case of themepark MMO’s, to keep you from chewing through the content too quickly). Moreover, the ramifications of running missions against empire NPC’s often come as a nasty surprise to new players.

@Algathas
I agree with you in theory, but it seems like a raw deal nowadays. Blitzing is easier than ever thanks to the Nergal, and there are many other good money making opportunities in Eve (including HS) that don’t require standings grinds, or that make your life more difficult in the long run. I guess some people still think it’s worth it to run missions against the empires, but I certainly don’t.

Anyway, one solution I’ve heard that I liked, was to make missions against the empires function like anomic missions. In other words, you can turn them down as often as you like without losing any standings with the agent or his corp. And, of course, if you do run those missions, then you would get a standings hit with the faction that you fight against.

And as far as role playing is concerned:
Me: I’m here to hunt pirates.
Agent: Good for you. Now go attack the British navy.
Me: What? No, I’m here to hunt pirates, not declare war on a sovereign nation. Besides, I do business in Great Brittan. I go there all the time.
Agent: Well, if that’s the way you’re going to be about it, I don’t like you anymore.

Note that I am not an Eve lore expert, but from a writing perspective, it would make sense to me that the empires would use proxies to attack each other. However, I would also think that there would be a difference between the types of missions handed out by different entities. For example, wouldn’t it make more sense for the Federation Navy to give missions against the Caldari state, while random Galente NPC corps ask you to deal with things like local pirates and smugglers that might be interfering with the businesses? Instead you have situations where the local university asks you to wage a guerilla war against a foreign superpower…

Well 5hit. How many credit hours am I going to get?

4 Likes

A character is not ruined forever. You can recover standings with factions with some work.

Then think before you act. Thoughtless actions should carry nasty consequences. It is not hard to figure out how the standings work if you just search for it on the internet or ask someone in your school corp’s corp chat or Rookie Help. The information on how to deal with missions is readily available. If people don’t look, don’t ask and then claim they got screwed over, they are a failure and have no place in EVE. Moreover, EVE should not make changes just to accommodate these failures.

That exist already: It’s called anomalies and exploration sites. You only lose standing with pirates in these. But if you want mindless shooting of people, I suggest you play COD or Rust or something … Oh wait, you have to observe standings and agreements in those games, too, and can’t just mindlessly kill other people unless you can bear the consequences. Well, looks like you are out of luck in gaming when it comes to “mindlessly shoot stuff”. :slight_smile:

If that is already too much for you and other people to comprehend, how are you going to cope with actually complicated aspects of EVE like missions, surviving in low and null sec, industry, hostile space exploration and so on? Not to mention that it is not complicated at all. All you need to be is a tiny little bit mentally awake and observant.
When I started playing, I also went into missions really quickly. I had a blast running missions for Amarr. I never took a mission against other empire factions because I knew that this is not good. I still accepted storyline missions and my minmatar standing dropped. After a while, when I was approaching -5, I asked people in the starter corp if that’s bad. They told me yes and suggested that I should start fixing that if I don’t want to get hunted by the faction NPC in that space.
I started to do that by finding a Minmatar NPC corp that I “liked” to run missions for and did just that for Eifyr. Was ardous and taught me a valuable lesson. In the process, I even noticed that running missions for the Gallente corp Poteque Pharmaceuticals and taking a storyline for them improves my Minmatar standing better than running missions for Minmatar itself. I switched to that because Poteque had stations much closer to my Amarr mission location. I carried on with missions for a while longer, happily and never dipping below -5 for Minmatar. If I manged to do that, I expect the same from other people. If they can’t put that tiny amount of thought and effort into the activity, it’s their fault and not the game’s.

5 Likes

This.

Holy crap I am agreeing with the CODE person.

The thing is in Eve everyone is someone elses bad guy. Why shouldn’t there be consequences for your actions?

3 Likes

Derived standings are a thing.

I’m -10 to Deep Core Mining

2 Likes

No. You do not gain or lose any faction standing with normal missions. You gain only NPC corp standing and they do not have any impact on the faction standing.

1 Like

This is an outrage. They should set you purple immediately.

It’s amazing how old-ass carebears will cry crocodile tears about wars this and ganking that, and will use new players as human shields in their arguments against anything PvP-related, but the second that you start bringing up game mechanics that they use to systemically oppress new players by ensuring that they’ll never be able to drag themselves out of the gutter and become actual economic competition, the conversation suddenly turns to “consequences.”

It’s exceptionally hypocritical, and disgusting as ■■■■, quite frankly.

1 Like

I remember when I was a new player, and I did the mission, “Meet a Miner!” There were basically two options, either I could let the miner steal my ore, or I could shoot him. If I let him have the ore, then I would get marginally cheaper stuff at the Jita market. However, if I killed him, the cost of goods would increase and the miner would set me to negative standings. I thought about this for really no time at all, and I just acted on instinct. I shot the miner and I’ve never regretted it.

2 Likes

Every time I nip into Amarr or Caldari space I’m decloaked and chased by the faction police, game would not feel right if that did not happen.

1 Like

I am surprised how much attention this thread drew.

Zhalyd Lyehin, you have obviously been playing this game a long time and know your stuff. That is awesome and it makes sense. However, the point of this thread… do you want EvE to grow? If yes, how do you attract and retain new players? Is keeping things as they are working? Hmm… something tells me no. New players are meat, nothing more. It is a shame. They should be fostered by veteran players so the game grows and continues. The fact I can not go anywhere without fear of being podded anywhere… I mean anywhere, not just low sec, may make some laugh but that is a major turn off for many people. Many try the game, think it is pretty cool and then this… BAMN 1 shot by a cat for a laugh. Not really good to do that to new players just cause you can. Part of the problem with the game is not just CCP but a very large toxic community who are allowing the game to fizzle by there own actions and attitudes. That is another subject of course… and one I personally am willing to put up with to play this game.

1. New Players know nothing but that does not make them stupid.
  2. New players like to kill things (ie… missions)
  3. New players should not automatically start accruing faction hits without knowing what that means.
  4. The in-game faction hit script should be made clear… Like in your face clear.
  5. This is a niche game and therefore always in danger of not gaining new blood.
  6. No new player net gain = no profit for CCP.
  7. No profit gain for CCP = Dead Game for all players.

My final take as a new player. CCP should stop giving away stupid things. A waste of time. Fix the issue. Write an expansion. This game is tiny compared to many now a days. Bring out a new sector just for starting players to explore and learn without fear of being called stupid or getting blown up at every turn. Big in game events are out of reach for new players. Renting ships to new players is just the craziest thing I have ever heard of in an MMO. Giving boosters daily that expire in 14 days to a player who knows nothing is a waste of time. They just rot in my bay. Giving nice colors to ships or cool face masks is nice but… meh.

Want new players? Get new player friendly content. At least to a certain SP level. Not asking for the Farm. Just some room to grow beyond just the initial career missions. More of that type of content would be great.

Not really

We hardly play with the ones we got last xmas

I really dont think we deserve any tbh

2 Likes

There are some normal, PvE missions that do destroy faction standings with other factions. Enemies Abound is the first one that comes to mind. There are several L3 missions that we blacklisted on USIA due to faction hits.

Or do the Hard Work it takes to remain neutral.

–Gadget loves everyone

V, if you want to play WoW, then play that.

–Gadget likes her Hunter