Moderation of the Forums

Hyperbole

1 Like

I’ve always found that a reply that starts with “so” can safely be ignored with no loss to the flow of the overarching discourse.

1 Like

See the problem?

If not you are part of it :slight_smile:

Just experience…

And at which point i am wrong?

Enlighten me please…

Even the designated flagging happened…

To be fair, “Donaldism” isn’t even a word. And while I’d like to put on the tinfoil and ring the bell in the public square about how CCP likes burning the US flag, something tells me that they don’t actually dislike the country that’s responsible for something like 40% of their player base, and more than half of their country’s tourism.

Despite being a democracy, their norms with regard to free speech and public expression are different than what you’d find in EVE player base powerhouses like Britain an the US. It’s likely that they’re operating under a different frame of mind, and aren’t out to actively censor anyone.

What truly worries me, however, is CCP’s ties to China, which, unlike any other country in the world (even Russia), uses economic pressure on businesses to control not only their own public’s opinions, but those of foreign nations as well.

If anyone posts that “China copy-pasta” (you know the one I’m talking about), it would get deleted in minutes, possibly with warnings given. Talk ■■■■ about any other country, and there might be some mod action, maybe. The comparison is very stark.

Many factual, unbiased, in-context, well-documented things can be said about CCP’s ties with China that would raise eyebrows buuuuuuuut that is unrelated to forum moderatiin, which is what this thread is about

Except he didn’t; your donaldism post is still there. The posts that were removed were edge cases and at least one of them could have been perceived as a personal attack of some description by especially sensitive individuals; I know this because I posted it.

More people have been perma-banned for insulting the U.S. than have been punished for blatant bigotry to any other country.

I disagree, I think it’s very relevant to forum moderation. It’s highly likely that CCP is obligated to do a certain amount of public expression control in all of their ventures (even those outside of China) in exchange for the privilege of doing business in China. That’s just how things are.

Any examples? I can’t say that it never happened just because I didn’t see it happen, but I definitely haven’t seen it happen.

As an American, I would find it highly upsetting if someone got banned for talking ■■■■ about us. I think everyone ought to have the right to.

Okay sure, it can be said that ISD should be less strict on moderating CCP-China talk, I just meant that this thread specifically should get into politics outside that remark

Sure. I can link to a pretty contentious thread where at least five bans were handed out. Only the people arguing against U.S. interests though. The raging exceptionalists were left to their own devices.

I’ll look for it later.

1 Like

That’s messed up if so, and I would definitely be against that (unless it was justified due to personal attacks or whatever).

I haven’t been banned for it, but I have certainly had posts reported and then removed for taking the piss out of the US; whereas I’ve made posts in a similar vein about other countries and they’ve been left alone, often with natives of said countries appreciating the post and then taking the piss right back.

3 Likes

That absolutely is excessive, and I want to state that CCP should not intervene on behalf of the US in terms of speech. We don’t censor anyone, and we don’t need anyone to censor others for us.

To be fair in my experience the ISD team are, for the most part, very lenient; often applying the spirit of the rules rather than the letter of the rules.

It’s hardly their fault that there are some particularly sensitive individuals that kick off disproportionately, because they have an overinflated and jingoistic opinion of their nation that allows no room for humorous remarks at their expense.

At the end of the day if a remark is made simply to be inflammatory, then its marked as what it is, a troll post of the purest vintage.

1 Like

No. It’s understandable if vanity will not allow.

Hyperbole.

And, if you think “we” don’t censor, you’re living in a fool’s paradise. We censor institutionally. Of course, we know we censor as a rule, but say we don’t just to keep up appearances.

Come now Ramona, I try to get a rise out of you and @Ralph_King-Griffin based on your nationality all the time; both of you have a sense of humour though and take it as the friendly banter it is.

Other people would probably take great offence at some of the national stereotypes that we throw at each other.

Personal attacks on CCP staff?

Better log in to reddit as you won’t be posting here any more.

1 Like