Moderation of the Forums

That was very much my intention. Verbally eating people up is a dead end street. Constructive discussion is productive and good, for us as players and for the forum too.

1 Like

Is there any chance you could PM me please @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode? No pressure or rush however, whenever it’s good for you.

Thanks.

If you get a private message, it shows up in a green circle, next to where you usually get a notification.

1 Like

@ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode speaking of private messages… what’s the deal with these apparantly non-functional “email addresses” that appear when we expand our of profiles? The ones in the form of 1234567@forumsmail.eveonline.com ? I tried emailing mine once just to see what it did and it bounced. I just opened up someone else’s profile and expanded their headers and didn’t see theirs, so I’m assuming it is supposed to be private???

If I had to wager a guess, I’d say it’s for the internal server, and you shouldn’t worry about it too much.

Removed an off topic post. First warning.

7 Likes

Closing is always better than clearing from my experience. Its more effective, and usually when it escalates/comes to such a point that ISD intervention is needed, the thread can be closed anyway as nothing new or interesting will be posted, only bickering being prolonged.

That’s the whole idea of why the bickering is started in the first place, to get the thread closed because they know CCP and ISD/CCL won’t enforce the forum rules.

1 Like

I hope it doesn’t descend into bickering. I posted initially because I genuinely wanted to discuss the issues at hand, not to malign individuals, whether these people are moderators or rank and file pilots.

I love this game, but sometimes the levels of idiocy, not mention prejudice and hatred for others, are simply breathtaking, especially as they come from people who are supposed to be (mostly) adults.

I told two aphorisms as a child.

You have two eyes, two ears and one mouth. You should use these in proportion.

If you don’t have something nice and positive to say you should hold back.

The first of these is a pretty good plan of action generally, and the second is always worth being mindful of even if sometimes it’s hard to achieve (and I apply this statement to myself as much as anyone else).

If we all lived by these two aphorism, maybe the world, and also this forum, might be a better place to be present in.

2 Likes

While this is a nice sentiment, it’s very easily lost or trodden upon by those of lesser intent. It runs parallel to the “turn the other cheek” concept and while also quint, I much rather make anyone regret lashing out in the first place…

To each their own…

1 Like

But on the other hand:

“Truth hurts.”

2 Likes

Disagree. Constructive discussion is far more interesting than the inanity of a “positive thoughts only” echo chamber, and that requires being able to post criticism and disagreement.

4 Likes

I think this might be my first post after 16 years in game. Criticism in these forums might as well be from a pull down select menu. Tired, not helpful and often intended to be insulting.

3 Likes

This probably has something to do with the fact that ideas posted on this forum are often from a pull down menu of terrible ideas that have already been rejected countless times in the past. The last thing we need is a “positive only” echo chamber where nobody is permitted to criticize them.

2 Likes

The problem is that there are new players coming into the game all the time. To expect them to read every previous post ever made and understand the perspective in which they were made is not reasonable. Why is positive constructive criticism or some hand-holding so difficult? Why would it annoy your or anyone else when one can simply ignore the post?

1 Like

because bitter vets have to speak up when they see something they’ve had to continually read from new players for the past 17 years.

…and ignored for the most part by CCP for 17 years…thankfully…

2 Likes

And that is what you post? :roll_eyes: :wink:

Can I have your stuff?

Sorry, but there was no “Yes, you gave no indication you were leaving the game, however of course that phrase can be more than a request for a player’s soon-to-be unneeded game items. It can also serve as a subtle comment on the poster’s possible attitude towards the game or even gaming in general amongst other nuanced meanings. …also - it’s worth a shot…” choice on the dropdown menu :slight_smile:

:crossed_fingers: Not leaving the game and no you can’t have my stuff. I have seen both good and bad suggestions over the years. More than a few bad ones from vets made it into the game and a few bad ones from CCP made it into the game. But instead of calling someone an idiot, or worse, I just say to myself that will not work and stop reading. In my opinion, the personal insults are irritating, not constructive to retaining players and not healthy for a game forum.

3 Likes

that was not your first post btw… you posted back in feb :stuck_out_tongue: