Monthly Economic Report - August 2022

Hello @CCP_Paragon , @CCP_Swift ,

This is not the first time you have dared to show us this very eloquent graph of the distribution of wealth among all active players in New Eden.

However, what leads me to come and comment on it for the first time is the fact that, like our IRL leaders, history has therefore ultimately still taught you nothing.

Also, if you really want to understand why absolutely everything is now going from bad to worse, then simply revise your economic and social science courses, especially all those relating to inequalities!

Fight of the Century: Keynes vs. Hayek - Economics Rap Battle Round Two - YouTube

A quick reminder of the basic definition of the Gini index:

"The Gini index (or coefficient) is a synthetic indicator that measures the level of inequality for a given population. It varies between 0 (perfect equality) and 1 or 100% (extreme inequality). Between 0 and 1 , the inequality is all the stronger as the Gini index is high.

It is equal to 0 in a situation of perfect equality, where the variable takes on an identical value for all the individuals in this population. It is equal to 1 in the situation of total inequality, where the variable is equal to 0 for the whole of this population, with the exception of a single individual.

The inequalities thus measured can relate to quantitative variables, such as income, wages, wealth, common goods, etc.

Like IRL, New Eden therefore suffers from a much too high Gini index!

Like IRL, New Eden is collapsing!

The reason for this? PLEXs!

By creating the PLEXs to counter the ISK black market, while contributing to CCP’s sole profit IRL, and therefore not to that of the players in return for their expenditure of time in game, you have allowed a scientifically well-known evil IRL , to come and spread within the persistent universe of New Eden.

May I ask you to please reproduce the same graph below, but this time with player data from, say, 2006 or 2007, i.e. only three or four years after launch of the game in 2003.

Oh ! You no longer have access to this datas? It is very regrettable!

Because the simple fact of comparing these two graphs, that of 2006 or 2007, and that of 2022, would allow you, I am sure, to better understand you by the figures, in particular all those specific to the Gini index, the long-term consequences of the mere introduction of PLEXs within New Eden.

Indeed, what you believe to be a perfect in-game trickling device between wealthy players and poor players is strictly not one in reality; the mere introduction of PLEXs has only invited inequalities, namely all those already measurable IRL, within New Eden, thus asphyxiating at the same time, its entire virtual market, gradually pushing the poor players towards the exit.

In other words, EvE Online has indeed become a pay to win game…

So say: where is your chief economist who started all this?

STORY: Thank you Doctor Eyjo! New Eden is dying and I now know why - Communications Center / General Discussion - EVE Online Forums

So. Try To Fly Safe Again. Or Not.

Tic Tac Tic Tac …

Ully Loom

ps: you know dear Hilmar, maybe you should think about creating a scientific library within CCP, so that all your employees can come and consult it from time to time; it is because EvE Online is above all a science fiction game, that it would be really important to consider it, and this in order to enlighten the continuation of your developments; only then will the cash come back; so what the hell are you waiting for; SAVE New Eden…

1 Like