Multiboxing Poll

I’m pleased to see how many people have a problem with multiboxing and would prefer a single character EVE.

It will never happen of course because accounts = $ but it slightly restores my faith in humanity and in the EVE playerbase.

It’s easy to think the EVE playerbase is simply all the scum in the galaxy that would have been banned in just about every other MMO, who finally found a cesspit that welcomed them when they found EVE.

EVE - the Mos Eisley Spaceport of MMOs (not just Jita).

The game is so ridiculously broken because of multiboxing that it makes me laugh, and it makes me laugh even more that so many people can’t even see how broken it all is.

But at least there are a few of us who have the integrity to appreciate that what we have achieved in EVE we achieved by the quality of our hard work not the quantity of our accounts.

2 Likes

It’s always entertaining to find a thread on a slightly controversial subject. Personally I find it refreshing that EvE Online allows multiboxing. The top issue with it, input broadcasting and multiplexing has been dealt with back in 2014 (see https://forums-archive.eveonline.com/message/5241022/ ).

I have no issue with people multiboxing, not even with the flocks of ice mining orcas. If that is their thing, or their task in their alliance/corp, well, have fun doing it. It’s not my cup of tea. If they affect the economy to any serious degree, well it’s up to CCP to fix it, as they’re doing now. If their measures affect too many non-multiboxers (e.g., resource shortage) they will have to conjure up something else - that’s their task and responsibility.

I saw a guy last Sunday using 25 accounts (an entire single player corp) to run FOB’s. At first one would think “wth, why is this even allowed, why wouldn’t anyone report him/her”. On second thought, that person is probably very stuck with his play style. He needs to keep juggling those 25 balls to be able to play the way he does. Let him do it, if he wants to be the slave of his own success. Is he in competition with regular fleets for those FOB’s ? Well, truth be told, no one else showed up. So, no, he wasn’t. If CCP has an issue with it, I’m sure they can find fixes for it - like reducing the number of spawns within the same region - let him jump around miserably with his 25 alts, it will soon be over…

The same for PvP. If a person is so good he/she can juggle multiple accounts in the heat of combat, well, respect to him/her, and thank Bob we have a game that allows that person to develop and demonstrate those skills !

I don’t see multiboxers as competition. If I want to engage in activities requiring fleet action I try to find a fleet of players. It’s more fun, more engaging and usually more entertaining. Not multiboxing is MY choice, after all. PLEXing accounts is open to everyone. If you don’t do it, that is personal choice, not lack of opportunity.

Does multiboxing affect newcomers in a negative way ? I don’t see how, unless it is because of envy and too little knowledge of the game. The same could be said about flying tech2 ships or other fancy equipment.

Arguments in this thread that border on the “have’s and have not’s” are a bit silly. Everyone with enough SP on a main can fire up a second account and PLEX it. It requires a good plan and some preparation in that direction.

1 Like

I take it you were banned for toxicity?

What a toxic comment.

Compared to calling eve players cheaters and scum?

Ok :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No. It isn’t silly. Subjective opinions can be swayed and that is literally what this poll is about; subjective opinion.

It just isn’t that simple, and that’s why rules can change. This guy was not playing fairly just because he was within the poorly completed rules of the time. Using strychnine to get the gold? Really?
At the very least, the acceptance of his “win” is highly controversial and cannot be simplified in the way you want it to be.

Yeah, but that’s got nothing to do with fairness does it?

Is he or is he not beating you at whatever it is you’re complaining he has an unfair advantage at doing?

If the answer is yes then he is by definition winning at that task compared to you, pretty simple

They can, but this won’t, and even IF it did, you would still lose against someone who can bring one more friend than you it would seem, hence the “unfair advantage” you’re complaining about would still exist when it comes to competing against you

Sure t does, because you’re complaining that being able to multibox is unfair, hence in order for it to be “fair” they would have to remove that, which isn’t ever going to happen

By all means explain how you would make the system “fair” in your eyes without limiting the amount of accounts that can be used by a single person, go ahead, i’ll wait

Compared to your little passive aggressive dig at an individual who simply expressed their opinion on the forum, actually.

Doing that makes you considerably more toxic than me (in my opinion). However I am sure you will continue to argue and make this personal, which it never was, because you’re toxic - prove me wrong.

For the record, I never called anyone a cheater and the scum thing was more of a Star Wars reference, and part of a chain of thought in which I concluded EVE players were not that, but I guess you saw a hat that fit and got all offended?

/shrug

I have nothing against subjective opinions, I only said that discussing ‘subjective cheating’ is silly.

If so, then I can say “It is my valid opinion that Kim Kardasian’s favorite flavor is red, even if she says otherwise.” But that would be nonsense and not a valid opinion for various reasons.

And please don’t quote me after deleting parts of my quote. That’s no longer a quote. Its a lie and its rude.

I thought the original debate was whether multi-boxers are mostly or all botting and input broadcasting?

Whether multi-boxing itself is cheating came later no? If people think its is, despite CCP rulings, that’s valid, especially if they can give reasons and a basis. The idea that CCP has accepted cheating because there is no way to prevent said cheating is a pretty good basis.

Anyway, what is put into rules as cheating is largely a matter of public opinion or who has power, and while its not the case here, it is sometimes the majority of those involved that have power. It may seem strange to you, but in Ancient Greece it was considered cheating to pull beards in a fight. That was a majority rules type of thing. People today would probably say “Just trim your beard or its fair for me to use it against you.” Lots of things are subjective like this and its all valid opinion that can coalesce into rules and changes in rules.

Thanks for the clarification. But I can’t agree to that.

I could agree that discussion of banning multi-boxing is silly though, as I can’t see a way to do it. In other words, calling it cheating seems to be a dead end, not because CCP has decided otherwise, nor that opinions on “subjective cheating” are inherently silly, but simply because of practical, human rights and technological limitations.

That doesn’t translate.
Multiboxing doesn’t give you a significant advantage in terms of pvp, which is what poker is.
You have to be able to quickly switch between accounts to perform actions, while the solo player only has one character to focus on. You underestimate the effect of adrenaline in exciting situations.
In terms of pve, why would multiboxing bother you? You don’t have to cough up the resources I am grinding.

Please take down Kusion with a single solo character.

Because multiboxers hog sites and resource belts, taking them down before I can get to them.

2 Likes

It’s a shared universe. If I and one other person are mining in null and supplying the market that day, but I’m doing it solo and the other is multiboxing 10 ships, I now have 10x as much competition as I would have in the case multiboxing was no allowed, giving me a much worse position on the market and paying much worse for my time.

I’m not saying that multiboxing should not be allowed, but multiboxing in PvE certainly has an effect on the value your competitors get for their time.

3 Likes

:rofl:

25 Spaceships vs 1 spaceship doesnt give you a significant advantage?

Who on Earth do you think you are fooling?

3 Likes

It’s an advantage, but those 25 ships are going to be much less efficient or responsive than a fleet of 25 players.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone disputes that. That is not where the problem occurs.

2 Likes

Totally depends on the training and experience of the people involved. The group will win more over time if they are competent, dedicated and intelligent yes, but I would not bet on them in their early stages if the multiboxer had a significant headstart and a reputation.

i did the survey, but the generic description multiboxing skews the results IMO. i do multibox when mining. 1 booster, 1 hauler, and 3 miners. seems productive without being overkill. i would never multibox pvp, i sometiems dual box while ratting. i squad warp 5 epithals to do my PI. just saying, there are nuacnes to multiboxing that were not apparent in the survey.

Pot>kettle. ‘i can throw insults all I want. But if anyone replies they are the toxic ones

You did suggest eve was a cesspit of players banned from other games.

I’m merely asked which ban brought you here.

25 ships controlled by one person aren’t going to achieve much. They aren’t going to contest sov or win a battle over an objective. They rely on the enemy being un-prepared.

Even Kusions still relies on his victims being stupid.

1 Like