Mwd trick on Orca et al?

Is there an mwd trick to help time to warp for orca?

Does this work for other ships too?

Same rules apply. Usually take 2 MWD cycles to get to proper speed though.

Not sure about a trick, just keep yourself aligned and you will warp off much faster.

I think there is or may of been a stealth MWD trick that some used to avoid gate camps. I dont remember it, sorry.

Cycling an MWD once will get it into warp faster.

IIRC you can also do the cloaky warp trick on an orca if you shoehorn a 500mn on there (align, cloak, mwd one cycle, decloak, hit warp). Improved cloak usually required, velocity reduction on a prototype is too high.

1 Like

To do the mwd-cloak with an orca, do the following:

1. start align
  2. click mwd
  3. click cloak right after
  4. uncloak when mwd is ~70% of its cycle
  5. click warp

You’ll warp as soon as mwd cycle is done.

1 Like

Depending on your skills, from a stand still you can hit a mwd and then deactivate it before the cycle is complete. As soon as it deactivates you should be aligned and start warp.

If you’re coming out of a station you come out with a abnormal amount of speed which will drastically effect your align time. Click the - on your speed gauge or Ctrl-Space. Once your immunity time is about to run out do the same initiate warp and toggle mwd as above.

I’ve been using AB on my hauler, same result. Guess I need to look at the stats to see if MWD would be better.

Yes. From standstill, start 500mn MWD, stop MWD, hit warp. The MWD does its single cycle anyway and you will then align in about 12 secs. This compares with an orca without a prop mod that will align in about 45 secs, plus or minus, depending on various fits (rigs & mods).

Note. This is not the same as the cloaky-MWD trick. The “trick” involves hitting a cloaking device before the MWD and then uncloaking before hitting warp (no need to actually unclick MWD as the action of warping turns it off). This is what you do on your epithal or any other hauler.

Essentially, the orca cannot cloaky warp. The technicality is that an orca is capital class but cannot fit a capital class MWD ie the 500mn you use to align in 12 secs is too small to also cloaky warp. I believe it can be done however, with implants and various blingy fits but not sure it is practical.

3 Likes

With the right fit and implants you can get an Orca aligning in about 10 seconds and warping at cruiser speeds.

you mispelled “with a lot of sacrifice and bling”

what is a mwd trick ?

a compact 500MN is enough to make you warp in one cycle, depending on your skills and assuming you don’t use bulkheads. right click the MWD, turn autorepeat off. Now when you align, click it once to pulse it.

1 Like

One cycle.

• You require proper aligntime skills, at least with bulkheads fitted.
  • You need to slow down first after undocking.

Can use MWD to warp a bit faster, but cant use this: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Cloak_trick

click ‘jump’ or ‘warp to’ then hit the MWD for 1 cycle. It works for Orcas because they have slower align times. Anything BS or under would be a waste of time. You would be warping faster than the time it would take for a MWD to cycle.

He’s trying to say that for every ship with an align of more than 10 seconds …
… onto which you can fit an oversized mwd …

… I forgot where I was going with this.

:thinking:

1 Like

Mwd pulse makes you warp in 11s top, so anything with more than 11s align would gain from it.
an abaddon has 15s align, so using a mwd pulse would make it align faster than it does. same for rokh, maelstrom.

For any ship between 9 and 11 s an AB is also a gain, since it makes align in 9s.

1 cycle for my Orca away in seconds.

1 Like

MWD-Cloak.
The cloak kills the MWD, but not after a cycle at least. Done right, you only appear on the overview for an instant. During this time you align, then decloak and warp.

Sorry for the slight derail, but I have a question I’ve been wondering about for some time - If I have a ship with a sub 2 second align time, does using the MWD/Cloak trick improve or worsen my chances of survival ?

What did you not like about the previous answers?

This fit has under 20 seconds align time without MWD, 26 seconds with. Base speed 75 m/s , with MWD 441 m/s, with MWD and cloak it is 121 m/s. To enter warp you need 75 % of 75 m/s., IIRK, which is 57 m/s. I did not tryed, but pretty much sure this fit will be able to enter warp as soon as cloak drops…
[Orca, mwd / cloak]

Shadow Serpentis Inertial Stabilizers
Shadow Serpentis Inertial Stabilizers

Core X-Type 500MN Microwarpdrive
[Empty Med slot]
[Empty Med slot]
[Empty Med slot]
[Empty Med slot]

Dread Guristas Cloaking Device
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]