Nerf Ganking Megathread

I have not tried to run any for quite some time (longer than 5 years ago), so my perception could be out of date. But I did try, and was camped by some real nasty pieces of work.

Well of course they are. Nobody has the faintest idea how much ISK anyone has. One can get a vague idea from what ships a person is flying…someone flying a Paladin clearly has the odd billion or so, but you don’t know if it is 2 billion or 500 billion.

Ships provide a meagre level of status. That Paladin may be expensive and flashy, but could be getting undocked just to show off and then re-dock. Without killboard, you have no idea if that Paladin is actually doing anything.

Thus we come to the true Eve currency…kills. That flashy Paladin is getting zero kills or losses…whilst some capsuleer in mere frigates is getting kills on a daily basis despite having vastly less ISK. Who is the more impressive ? You have no idea how much ISK anyone really has…but you can readily look up their kills.

I hear what your saying but not everyone is measuring epeen in the game. There are pvp groups specifically for people that don’t care about killboards.

1 Like

No idea. Never done that. Is it?

I don’t think it is, no.

It is less lucrative than selling Mining Permits, for sure!

For sure.

Careful with imagining my emotional state. You’ll never catch me imagining yours.

Because once you imagine “Io must be crying”, that opens yourself up to the very same charge. So when Aiko inevitably tells you to stop crying, and you deny it or try to brush it off, I’ll simply be having the last laugh.

• First of all, you don’t know the meaning of the word “literally.”
  • Second, these things are not equivalent by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Third, trash talk is frequently used to throw people off of their game and to bait people into making stupid mistakes. So no, you can not assume that the are doing because they get some sort of sick pleasure from psychologically tormenting others.
  • Fourth, believe it or not, some people actually enjoy some good trash talk, and I actually have some memorable moments in Eve talking ship and sharing trash talk gifs with others.
  • Fifth, not only do prey do a lot of trash talk, but they seem far, far more likely to get nasty with it. Presumably, because they aren’t doing it to try to get into people’s heads, but because they’re lashing out in impotent rage. Thus, it’s not a calculated move, but an emotional one. Regardless, trash talk is not just something that gankers do.

Now, misconceptions, hyperbole, and a framing that puts all the blame on gankers aside, there are some that argue that trash talk has no place in sports or gaming. However, I’m not so sure I agree with that. While it’s true that trash talk can suck a lot of fun out of the game for certain players, and that there are definitely guys who take things too far, removing it would also remove a layer of depth from high level play. Besides, I don’t think it’s practically possible for a dev to police trash talk (i.e. it will take a lot of dev resources, and interpretations can be extremely subjective, especially when it comes to text chat, resulting in a lot of bad calls and pissed off players). So, it’s kind of a moot point anyway.

Anyway, here’s a really interesting video about trash talk for those that are interested. Oh, and for anyone who gets phased by trash talk, realize that it’s usually not personal (especially if they don’t have a history with you), they might not even believe what they say, that they’re likely doing it soley for the purposes of trying to manipulate you, and that the best way to stop people from talking trash to you is to not let it bother you.

3 Likes

:heart:

He must have missed the multiple posts by Goon members warning CCP not to do something in the past only for CCP not to listen and make me isk by their predictions.

Yeah, if we could not conflate trash talk with cyber bullying, that would be great. Yeah.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to figure him out for a long time. Still don’t get it.

All his posts lead to nerf ganking in some way, shape, manner or form. He doesn’t give a rat’s arse about fair play or save the children. Just nerf ganking always in the background.

I think he’s a high end botter! :yawning_face:

2 Likes

He could just be leaderless jumping stargate to stargate without any route waypoint even set traveling through New Eden being lost.

He has a long term objective just like I do. He will see his fulfilled long before I do.

Does he really know or is he only guessing based on hearsay evidence?

So, you’re arguing that because newbros can’t immediately claim and defend sov while lacking player skill, character skill, isk, or friends, that means that they can’t pull themselves up from their bootstraps?

Yeah, that’s doesn’t prove that players can’t pull themselves up from their bootstraps. That’s arguing that the game is unfair because players don’t get handed success on a platter.

First, your comparisons to real life seem to neglect critical distinctions between real life and Eve. And, quite frankly, they’re starting to make it really hard to take you seriously.

Second, having pre-existing friends in Eve does not limit the opportunities players have, or their ability to find success, because (1) Eve is still a skill based game with no shortcuts to success and (2) anyone can make friends or join groups.

Third, we definitely have some very different ways of looking at the game, and I don’t think it’s because one of us is an idiot. I think it has to do with our mindsets. And, the thing about mindsets is that they tend to reinforce themselves. For example, I believe that Eve is a skill based game, and that the only thing standing in my way is my own brains, attitude, and determination. Thus, if I have a goal or desire, I come up with a plan, and make it a reality. This, in turns reinforces my belief that Eve is a skill based game. Conversely, if you believe the game is unfair, and that other players have insurmountable advantages, this will cause you to give up easily on your goals and desires, or never even try in the first place. And since you can’t achieve your goals and desires, it reinforces your belief that the game is unfair, and that other players have insurmountable advantages.

Looking forward to a response that doesn’t bring up real world disabled people or socio-economic mobility.

1 Like

This is a small thing in the context of this conversation, but it’s so damn ridiculous that I can’t help but comment.

Let me get this straight, your argument is that if a player doesn’t move to an entirely different region of space and change their play style in order to become dedicated bot hunters, that means that they don’t actually care about botting?

By this logic, that means that you don’t actually care about Eve. Because, if you actually did, you’d learn to code, get hired by CCP, and move to Iceland. But, you didn’t -did you? That means that you don’t care about Eve, which means there’s really no point in listening to what you have to say about the game.

Well, I’ll give you one thing. I’m suddenly motivated to catch up on this thread. Looking forward to your next ridiculous assertion.

2 Likes

Trash talk to throw people off their game after you got the kill, sure that’s what it’s about…

If someone is having a complete melt down in chat like that it’s pretty obvious they aren’t emotionally equipped to keep their cool. Case in point.

Trash talk in a competitive environment is a completely different think to trash talking someone after a one sided fight.

Of course most of the over-reaction comes from victims. That’s is exactly what the ‘salt miners’ are going. They are looking for that melt down in local to amuse themselves.

I’ve been clear about this many times over, this is not all gankers or even the majority of gankers. It is a lot of them though and it’s toxic as hell even if you don’t agree with my point that it’s tantamount to bullying.

I’ve not missed the times when something has almost changed only for CCP to turn around and say actually we’ve consulted with the CSM and that isn’t how it’s going to go. Wether or not you believe in Concorde pulling being an exploit, CCP overruled one of their own GMs because the CSM kicked up a fuss. To be clear I don’t care about Concorde pulling one way or another but the CSM got their ducks in a line and got something done there. Not completely without influence.

It depends, I tend not to react to people letting off steam after the kill, I also don’t react to the hate mails I sometimes get after muting someone for not follow the request to stop putting non-intel in the Gank-Intel channel. I just go meh and let it go, best way to deal with it, but the bad people.

If you deliberately say something to entice a bad reaction from the victim then you are deliberately playing with their heads, it would be fine if at that point they stopped and said whatever to the upset victim but oh no. Next up we have a mail, maybe a threat to report them to CCP, then invite to channel and bombarding them with chat, comments in local and all this to put stuff in their blog. It is cold calculated and nasty.

So yes you could conflate trash talking with bullying, personally I think that all these stories detailing chat and reactions along with kills and stuff on the ganker blog were potentially cyber bullying because the gankers involved were often following the victim around to continue that story. Which is why CCP defined it as following a person around when they made a major effort to move away from it.

Still at the end of the day if people feel that they are being cyber bullied, they should stop playing Eve, but that is kind of like not participating in social media in one sense and CCP would likely not be happy at the loss of subs…

Anyway, why are you upset when I am talking about a few bad people doing it.

Blimey, the word think, you need to do some of that.

To a farming ganker balance = nerfing, you just want to protect your income, I get it.