Nerf Ganking Megathread

I suppose some minor nerfs to antiganking, but mostly I support buffing ganking.

2 Likes

Mate, that’s just called living in null. You damn well bet if I find an interloper in my space I’m killing them. That’s how the game works. It’s the territory that belongs to my alliance, if you want to use it, come and take it.

I think that you’re not understanding Ridley, is that in any area of space, you are open to engagement. While @Destiny_Corrupted used the example of killing someone in null sec, the fact remains that even in high sec, if you are lockable you are indeed a valid target for any playstyle.

You may raise the point that high sec doesn’t have sov mechanics, but I would counter with the fact that in the last high sec groups have laid claim to systems, by using wardeccs and ganking to control an entire system or group of systems. A recent example would be when Hogs controlled Osmon for a short time.

The fact remains that EveOnline is very much a PvP game. You may disagree, you may think of Eve as a sandbox. But at the end of the day CCP has intended for ganking and PvP to be a part of the game from the moment you create a character, and even more so if you undock. If you wish to play Eve without non consensual PvP then you are welcome to use the test server where you may mine and krab to your heart’s content, and only engage in consensual PvP. But if you find that distasteful, despite all other mechanics being the exact same as the main server, then I would invite you to question yourself as to why. I think the answer that you and many other anti gank players will find, is that you like a game where there is a sense of danger and competition with other players.

Eve is a PvP game. We see that from CCP’s earliest advertisements for the game. Eve is fundamentally oriented around player versus player interaction in all areas of space. Ganking is not immoral nor is it a path to the dark side as you characterized it, because there is no dark side.

Eve is simply a game with PvP that occurs in all areas of space, with PvE functions within the game as well. No one gets mad for killing someone in Fortnite, or Halo, or any number of war games with PvP and PvE functions, why should Eve be any different? The only difference I can think of is a difference in expectations of the players, that some players expect to not be aggressed. But in that case they need to alter their expectations of the game, not the game itself.

I myself was a gank victim — and it was the best thing that ever happened to me in game. I still look at the moment I lost my first venture to CODE, as one of my defining moments as a capsuleer. After that moment, I stopped mining, and began to rat so that I could learn how to PvP effectively. Ganking forced me to reevaluate my unprofitable playstyle, find a more profitable one, and to engage with other facets of the game. I’m happier for it, and I never was ganked again.

Gankers are not evil. They are not griefers. Gankers are engaged in combat in a game that supports it. Perhaps you may not understand their motivations, or goals, but they are here to stay and it’s a valid playstyle. Personally I don’t really do much ganking — I prefer low sec and null and I’ve done some headhunting as well, but I will ride like hell for gankers like @Aiko_Danuja and their right to gank. I also recommend talking to gankers and pirates and learning from them and engaging with them. Hell, go on a fleet with them sometime. That’s how you become a better player.

The ISD closed the other thread so this is in part me responding to some of the points that were made there.

4 Likes

deleted

Right. You just joined 7 minutes ago and randomly happened there and found and moved the post here, cause you had to respond so bad.

TLDR

Tootles.

I’ve actually been watching that thread from its inception. It was closed while I was typing my response and running errands simultaneously. I bear you no ill will as a person, I just think that your response to gankers and ganking is a bit odd given the fact that Eve is a PvP game. Killing someone — even in high sec isn’t griefing. It’s just PvP. I don’t understand the constant hostility that I see in these threads. It’s literally just PvP.

3 Likes

Of course you don’t. But I am not biting. Bye.

I disagree with this bit. Here’s my take on it:

I don’t think they like games where there’s a sense of danger and competition with other players. If they could turn those functions off, they would. The reason why they play on the live server and not on the test server is because they rely on a destruction-driven economy providing a consumption outlet for their production.

They want to have other players validate their share of economic production, while not engaging in their share of economic destruction and loss. And I find this perspective very short-sighted and selfish, because they’re happy to unload all of the hardship onto the PvPers, while claiming only rewards for themselves. It’s kind of like their mentality is “let the fools club each other over the head, while we sell them the sticks they use to do it!” But they kind of don’t get that the PvPers need to make money somehow too, and when you take that into account, the economy becomes two parts production and one part destruction, and everything gets messed up. And that’s why we have scarcity now.

4 Likes

Oh I absolutely agree with you. That’s the logical outworking of what I was saying. They won’t ever go to the test server because destruction fuels the economic engines that allow them to gain wealth and participate in the game. They’ll never be happy on the test server, but they won’t be happy on the main one either. There are two options, get good, and accept that your ships are finite, and subject to death at the hands of other players, or play something else.

2 Likes

You gotta be really bored to make an ALT just to talk to yourself on the forum. Dear Bob.

I’ve been telling people, I think as far back as 2010 or so, that if they don’t want their incomes to be nerfed, they should take some ships and go start some crap with their neighbors and just have a little hoedown somewhere every once in a while. Keep in mind that I’m a trader, and I could always see the signs of the market being unhealthy in many regards, even outside of the socially-obvious factors like massive super-capital proliferation. For example, the price growth of high-end deadspace/officer gear is a sure sign of low-end monetary/material inflation (as people try to gain competitive edges via one-shot setup efficiency instead of the more traditional method of relying on victory by resource attrition, e.g. being able to replace more ships more often than your enemy).

The response was of course always that I was a griefer who was trying to trick people into giving me easy kills. Oh well.

3 Likes

There has to be a clever response I can make to this, but I just can’t think of one right now.

I think if I deny it, then that will be a surefire admission that it is my alt. So we’ll just go with a direct admission that yes, it is my alt. Wait, no, that will be interpreted as reverse psychology, and I don’t want that, because I genuinely want them to think that it’s my alt.

So how do I not deny that it is my alt while making them think that I’m trying to make them think that it’s not my alt? This is very difficult and confusing, and griefer school never prepared me for such mind games.

5 Likes

I’m my own person with my own forum history and my own profile on zkill and everything. I literally have an Eve Twitter account too lol. Literally I don’t know where you get that idea from. I’m someone who has my own opinions — debate those. As hominem attacks just show that you can’t defend your arguments beyond “I” statements.

2 Likes

Shh, you’re my alt now. Just let it happen.

2 Likes

Kinky if you think about it

1 Like

I like the way I think. I mean you think!

2 Likes

Well, it’s not really the responsibility of the players to intentionally destroy their stuff to keep the economy healthy. I think it’s CCP’s responsibility to create and balance their own game, but I get your point.

My own opinion is that CCP needs to increase ways and the ability to blow stuff up. Be that new ways to get kills, new opportunities to fight over, etc. As can be seen on the monthly economic reports, not enough stuff is blowing up and it’s way too easy to remain safe.

1 Like

Or just stop touching the old ways because some bambis keep complaining.

By the way, you’re my alt too now.

4 Likes

Narh, I’m Nicolai’s alt according to some people (I shall not mention his name, cause it will summon him).

1 Like

/me shudders

2 Likes

Oh yes. @Destiny_Corrupted traveled back to 2019 to create @Grey_Ignis. But since you figured it out it so easily she traveled Back to 2007 to create @Pan_Dora1 half a year before she even started to play, finally, she traveled to a few hour ago when she used me to post in this thread that is now locked. :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

2 Likes