:facepalm: New Eden Capsuleers Writing Contest - Plagiariser Report

Well explained DeMichael. Know that I stand by you and all the others true of heart that entered their originals.

1 Like

As someone who entered with an original work in the news category, I think youā€™re too up on yourself. And while I respect DMC to some extent, as he is generally at least succinct, youā€™ve been antagonistic and self-righteously demanding beyond the point of reasonability. I do not stand with you, nor DMC, as I respect the contest organizer and judges even if I have my own thoughts on certain choices made. They dealt with the issue, and you continuing this is little more than pretentious dramallamaing

2 Likes

Yet more role play community reinforcements

role

5chars

My opinion: gammatude supping on angst drama for private consumption.

The real question is can you do better? If so, why arenā€™t you?

Also youā€™re taking a thing people are doing for fun volunteering in a game way too serious, my dude. Next youā€™ll be out measuring my grass and making sure itā€™s up to HoA Code lengths.

5 Likes

Oh no Roleplayers in the roleplayer part of the forum, how dreadful a world we live in

2 Likes

As a judge in a previous year, itā€™s correct: judges are not allowed to submit works (or more accurately, submitters cannot be judges) and judges receive no compensation. If youā€™d like proof, thereā€™s the announcement threads every year that lay out the ā€˜you canā€™t submit and judgeā€™.

Beyond thatā€¦ thereā€™s just as much proof that you arenā€™t being paid by Magni there to post in this thread. I donā€™t think you are, but in general it canā€™t be proved as a true factual statement.

Like I said, that all looks good in writingā€¦ Nobody can 100% guarantee that those rules are being followedā€¦ Nobody can 100% guarantee that fair and impartial judging is being doneā€¦ Nobody can 100% guarantee there is no pay-off kick-back happening, etc, etcā€¦

Guess I can say the same about you, how do I or anybody else know that youā€™re not here at the request of Lasairiona Raske, or more importantly, that youā€™re not her alt.

Now believe me, I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case. Iā€™m more inclined to think that due to our past forum interactions, your reply to me is based more on dislike.

Since I donā€™t know you or remember us ever having any previous interactions in these forums, Iā€™ll just say thank you.

EDIT:
Also donā€™t take that as me thinking that youā€™re standing with me or agreeing with my statements in this threadā€¦

While i really appreciated the donations this year and last year, over 1/3 of the prize pools were still paid out of my pocket (roughly 13 and half billion isk this year). In many past years close to all or 80 percent was.

I try to run this event, at a pretty significant isk expense and time commitment, to try do something fun for the community and encourage people to create lore. I appreciate constructive criticism and comments (it was one of yours in a past year in fact that resulted in the label suggestion for writing contest posts), but weā€™re sort of past that at this point.

I donā€™t tend to be a mean or harsh person, oocly, and i felt forfeiting her award and giving the isk prizes to the others below her was enough of a penalty for what was supposed to be a fun event. I suppose one can disagree but weaving conspiracies on top of itā€¦ wellā€¦ i guess I kind of am debating whether to spend my time and isk on this next year at this point.

11 Likes

If you ever have any ISK issues in regards to these things, just raise a hand and thereā€™ll be no shortage of us whoā€™ll make it rain plex for the cause. As others have said elsewhere, itā€™s often the case that these few loud drama makers sour the experience as the event closes, but in a few months thatā€™ll fade and the reasons why you do it rise to the top again and the memories will be of the good parts.

Offloading some of the work on other volunteers is also always an option. Weā€™ve had both cordial engagement and locked horns at times, but in the end just know that your efforts, work and donation to this kind of thing is greatly appreciated even by those who donā€™t even play at this point. They reach further than the participants, the commenters and actives.

Since itā€™s probably not said anywhere near as much as it should, let me counter-point this drama with this: Thank you very much for everything youā€™ve done for the community with these events and more. Itā€™s appreciated and worthy of gratitude.

11 Likes

We havenā€™t interacted much I think Lunarisse, but I echo Miz: Youā€™ve done more for this gameā€™s community than many others can say. Thank you.

8 Likes

And in the past Iā€™ve publicly thanked you and complemented you for doing that. In fact I still respect the idea behind the contest. However I think the judging aspect of it can be improvedā€¦

Youā€™re the event host and itā€™s your decision on what actions should be taken. Personally I would have also disqualified her from ever entering again in the future.

I wasnā€™t trying to weave a conspiracy, I stated my opinion here to one of the judges who Iā€™ve had previous forum interactions with that resulted in ill-will. Ironically that judge just happened to be the one who read and posted on my story immediately after it was submitted.

Like I said earlier, I still respect the idea behind the contest and it was not my intention to discourage you from hosting this contest again. I just think the judging aspect and prize distribution could be improved.

Anyway, Iā€™m done with this topic. Too much bad-blood has been spilled over it. I sincerely hope this experience will help you improve future contests if you choose to continue hosting them.

1 Like

The world of difference was all in the decision to let the plagiarised piece keep its rank as third place winner despite the report of foul play, despite forfeit of isk prize, despite all this.

All for the want of a horse shoe nail.

Anyone trying to cover up that simple outrageous bias afforded by role players to their role play friend is part of why we canā€™t have nice things.

They knowingly let a fake win.

Naaaaaah. That wouldā€™ve been the part I didnā€™t send, where I pointed out the random capitalization of words. :wink:

Besides, I donā€™t dislike you. Weā€™ve had spirited exchanges, but overall, I know you post things you sincerely believe, even when we disagree, and Iā€™m reasonably sure you know the same of me. So I figured Iā€™d at least present a voice removed from the current brouhaha.

I think the correct answer is to allow me to judge in the future.

BTW, this new guy called Solonius T-rex is joining the next contest. Never heard of him before but he seems like a nice guy, he might win.

1 Like

As someone who doesnt have any skin in the game and couldnt really care less about this topic, I do agree that it does seem shady as F not to remove someone from the rankings once youve found out they plagiarized. Speaking from an academic background, id be in trouble, really really big trouble, if any of the stuff i wrote were found out to be plagiarized. People get kicked out of uni for that sort of stuff.

Are you my Alt?

1 Like

This is no different than the 2021 Kentucky Derby. Medina Spirit won the race. However, the horse tested positive for betamethasone after the race. The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, which will make the final decision if the horse will be disqualified, as of 7 June 2021 has not yet indicated when a ruling will be made. If Medina Spirit is disqualified, [Mandaloun]will be named the winner.

So for the plagiarizer to stay, is rather fishy. If anything an Asterisk should be placed beside their name, But placed off to the side, and let the others move up respectively.

1 Like

Morpheus:
What happened, happened and could not have happened any other way.

CCP presents us with some pretty gnarly lore issues from time to time. Eventually we collectively get our heads around it adapt and overcome and the wold tree becomes that much more beautiful for that knot in the grain.

If people want to apply academic standards to a role-playing game they can and probably should - in character.

I had a post removed from the thread by ISD also, It was for the same reason you did - I broke character. Mistakes happen.
We can grow around them and make something fantastic.

Option: The issue you have highlighted could be played beautifully for years to come Dark if you have the chops to channel it.
Option B: Or, it could sit out here in the cold OOC where it feels a little more personal, exposed and all too real but fundamentally is a farce.