YC 125 New Eden Capsuleers Writing Contest

I am pleased to announce the TENTH year for a writing contest for stories or poems by or about Capsuleers/Baseliners and their worlds and cultures.

BASIC DETAILS:

CATEGORIES: There will be THREE categories this year:

Poetry
Prose
Other: Academic/Scientific (e.g. Academic, Economic Reports, Science Reports, Theological Writings, Treatises, etc.) or News/Gossip/Opinion Pieces

RULES

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION - MAY 31st

There is no minimum length. Maximum length is 5,000 words. There is no required subject matter; the content may be fiction or non-fiction.

Prior works are eligible as long as posted or published AFTER May 15, YC 124 (2022). This means, for example, works in the recent story-time thread on the IGS or stories and gossip reports (in Player Fiction) in the past year can be nominated by their authors for consideration.

Please post entries by linking in this thread or by a clear label in the Eve Fiction category of these forums, e.g. [YC 124 NEWCWC your work title here] as the title.

PRIZES*

FIRST PLACE - 2.25 billion isk
SECOND PLACE - 1 billion isk
THIRD PLACE - 500 million isk
FOURTH PLACE - 250 million isk
Honorable Mentions - 50 million isk

*Prizes subject to change depending on fund raising!

SPECIAL PRIZES FOR THEMATIC ENTRIES:
You Must Indicate If You Are Seeking One Of These Prizes with your Entry

Best entry involving ā€œRomanceā€. Should be an entry involving romance, love, or desire among the stars or the cultures existing in the Empires and beyond. Prize is 250 million isk plus 1 Box of Chocolates and 1 Bouquet of Flowers.

Best entry involving ā€œHealth and Fitness.ā€ Should be an entry involving health & fitness. Could be amusing pieces of gym lore, or a thrilling adventure short story where the protagonist is a sportball player, bodybuilder, or other health&fitness enthusiast. Prize is 250 million isk plus a crate of Safety Mud 120,000m3 of sport mud, approx value 10M ISK.

Best entry involving ā€œGallente Culture.ā€ Should be an entry involving Gallente culture - perhaps a Gallente tech-noir thriller, where the protagonist is a private detective, or the antagonist is an exotic dancer, set in the mean streets of nighttime Caille. Prize is 250 million isk plus a Trash Can, a crate of 250,000m3 of trash, approx value 15M ISK.

Best entry involving ā€œAmarr Culture.ā€ Should be an entry involving Amarr culture in some way. Perhaps a theological romantic comedy, in which goats and/or well-endowed Amarr ladies feature prominently. The Empire is vast and so are the possible themes! Prize is 250 million isk plus an Enormous Block of Cheese, consisting of 250,000m3 of cheese, approx equivalent value 80M ISK.

Entries involving ā€œMinmatar Culture.ā€ Should be an entry involving Minmatar culture in some way. Perhaps a coming of age tale involving tattoos and rituals? Thereā€™s a lot of possibilities. Prize is 250 million isk plus a Vargur.

Entries involving ā€œCaldari Culture.ā€ Should be an entry involving Caldari or State culture in some way. Perhaps a tale of cuthroat corporate intrigue? Achuran mysticism and star gazers? The culture of the State is deeper than supposed. Prize is 250 million isk plus a Golem.

ADDITIONAL RULES/COMMENTS

Each of the Judges may, in their discretion, award a personal prize to the favorite (regardless of the ā€œplaceā€ of the submission)

The most ā€œamusingā€ or ā€œentertainingā€ to me* or intriguing gets treated to a candlelit dinner by me at a fine restaurant or a meal at another location and a Stratios Galnet Streamcast Unit SKIN!

All judges and I (as administrator) are disqualified from submission for prizes.

All entries will be considered. However, no plagarism is allowed. The work must be the original work of the author.

if the quality of the entries does not merit the number of prizes, then prizes will be given up to the number deemed meritorious.

if people have any questions or need rulings, I am the contest administrator and you can feel free to message me directly.

Also a thank you to this yearā€™s panel of judges for volunteering their time and efforts: Loai Qerl, Nevyn Kumamato, Cassandra Habulu, Pol Macsliebh,Henrik Suzaku, Kaladote Lafisques, Bin Orlenard and Shaikar.

A thank you also to our donors so far this year, Arrendis, Kaladote Lafisques, Valerie Valate, Ushraā€™Khan, and ARC.

Cordially, and with Godā€™s Blessings

Lunarisse Aspenstar Phonaga
Directrix Societas Sceptri Coronaeque
Executrix Khimi Harar

((OOC note - This year we are running a companion OOC Category for out of character submissions and details will be posted in Player Fiction.))

Entrant Tracker. I will keep a list of entries here. If you entered and I somehow miss, let me know!

Poetry

1. Katya Itzimaru - ā€œUntitledā€ (Amarr/Romance)
  2. Lightning Lemmont - Haikus
  3. Komaara Kashada - Small Prayer (Amarr)
  4. Theodosius Savnar - Alzheimerā€™s
  5. Imlarr Timshae - Epitaph for a Capsuleer
  6. Elassus Herron - Akiga-Illshisotas IIket (audit entry)
  7. Erica Munory -Twelve years of slavery (Minmatar)

Prose

1. Calus Valmont - The Hauler (Minmatar/Romance)
  2. Trajon Thrax - Sword of God (Amarr)
  3. Bullet Kllan - Corporation Director Log
  4. Sydeed Ameer Ali - His Home Was Among The Stars(Minmatar/Romance)
  5. Theodosius Savnar - Emergency Confession Booth (Amarr)
  6. Duke Shasta - A Gallant Rescue
  7. Duke Shasta - Shadows and Daggers (Caldari)
  8. Candide Foole - Yearning (Gallente/Romance)
  9. Ambarr Dishwataah - Salvaged (Amarr/Minmatar)
  10. Ambarr Dishwataah - The Business of Love (Caldari/Romance/Fitness)
  11. Ambarr Dishwataah - The Perfect Man(Amarr/Gallente)
  12. Ambarr Dishwataah - Child of March (Amarr)
  13. Tintallel Sharan - Ten Thousand Light Years Away

Other: Academic/News/Gossip

1. Amicia Cora - On the Nature of International Affairs in the Modern Era
  2. Simon Louvaki - Ghosts in the Shellā€¦
  3. Clisa Lugara - Postal Drones
  4. Komaara Kashada - Fleet Operations Guide
  5. Ellnore en Divalone & Other Authors - Congratulations Intaki
  6. Nauplius - Eyes for Faith (Serial)
  7. Richard Masseri - Ida - To Consider - A Research Paper on the Idaā€¦
  8. MantelGlobalIndustrries - Member State Conflicts in the Federationā€¦
  9. Theodosius Savnar - A Comparative Study of Amarr Space Cathedrals (Amarr)
16 Likes

My humble entry (a classic Amarrian romance):

There once was an Empress Jamyl Sarum,
Who caused some amount of alarum.
Rogues shot her dead,
and made off with her head,
now her corpse is part of a harem.

Updated to add a new special thematic category.

1 Like

One last update to add another thematic category!

2 Likes

We received a nice donation from ARC so the prize amounts have been adjusted upwards:)

2 Likes

Hello

I would like to enter in my short story involving Minmatar culture (and possibly Romance if you consider longing for your wife and daugther romantic)

5 Likes

Thank you for your entry, the list has been updated :slight_smile:

Please accept my entry into the writing contest in the fiction category [YC 124 NEWCWC Sword of God] {Amarr Culture}

3 Likes

Very interesting. Perhaps Iā€™ll try my hand at this. Though I donā€™t have anything written, yet, I think Iā€™ll go for the sport entry.

3 Likes

Amazing! Iā€™m new here but just saw this and am working on a story to submit. Loosely based on the origin story I dreamed up for my main.

1 Like

[YC 124 NEWCWC Corporation Director Log]

Corporation Director Log

(CDL-W1)

Once again I sit in a lonely Citadel far away and alone. Abandoned by the once powerful Alliance only to collapse and close down due to internal strife. And all that is left from a one time thriving Corporation is only CEO and myself. While he searches the galaxy for a new home Iā€™m left to close down the office and liquidate all assets in a hostile Region for a new start somewhere beyond in the stars. Sitting here I dwell on the great fleet ups and the fun and prosperous industrial complex with friends that turned into family, only to disintegrate. Now I hope for a new group to once again be what I always wanted. A Home

(CDL-W2)

Itā€™s been several days since I was in communication with the CEO. As ordered, all corporate assets have been liquidated and put into the corporate wallet. Unable to contact him I decided to wait, hoping that he didnā€™t also decided to leave it all. Besides where am Iā€™m going to go? Walking around in an empty station alone for so long Iā€™ve decided to take my T3C and explore the lonely and treacherous Wormholes. Jumping through hole after hole not bookmarking anything. Just drifting and watching fleet engagements from afar. Coming across ancient Relic and Data sites to try to scrape up some kind loot. Now my T3C has turned into my home. Have I now become a Nomad? Wandering without a home or a friend? I think about these things as I shut down the ship to again sleep and dream of things to hopefully come.

(CDL-W3)

Again I wake up to a dark and lonely ship floating in a C4 Wormhole. Itā€™s been twelve days since I had any communication from the Boss. His whereabouts are unknown. I wonder if he will ever come back? It was a heavy blow to him to see the Alliance and Corporation crumble. He put allot into it as any CEO would. His last communication to me was not his usual upbeat words. His last order was only to liquidate all and wait for new location coordinates. Seeing the multi Billions of isk in the Corp wallet makes me want to take it and drop Tags and start anew. But to start what? To go where? Iā€™m not a leader to start and new Corp. Why even jump to another system? Why Probe or DScan? My cargo bay is at max capacity with the most expensive loot I came across. Jettisoning the lower loot for only the best. All for what? I must wait for the only one I know, my Friend, my Commander.

(CDL-W4)

Found a Wormhole Entrance to HS today, wasnā€™t sure I wanted to leave Wormhole, however looking around my ship is was filthy and low on supplies. As I looked into the mirror I see that I needed to get cleaned up. I let myself go and am not the pilot I was or want to be. I started to ponder again my future. Do I drop tags to join a Corporation? Just going through the process of it is exhausting to me. I donā€™t know what to do. As I was here thinking on these things watching yet another structure being bashed, I noticed the red light blinking of an incoming message. It was the Boss.

He told me he was sorry for not staying in touch but was hospitalized. Hopefully will be back soon.

He said to take Corp funds and establish a drug manufacturing location and will contact me as soon as he can.

I had my own drug manufacturing back in the day and still have all the BPCā€™s and Reaction Formulas but they were located in a NPC station deep in the Caldari Faction Warfare system. However I finally have a new purpose, new orders to carry out. So I plotted new waypoint through the Wormhole to HS to a New Hope.?

(CDL-W5)

Made my way to the HS Wormhole, jumping through I quickly scanned my location. The Dark and Rusty Minmatar Space. Not what I was hoping for, my standings are not good here but decided to scan the different systems looking for a new location for our drug manufacturing HQ.

I put yet another ping out to the Boss, no response. Hope all is well. Made my way to the quiet and lonely trading hub of RENs for repairs, supplies and to sell the loot I got out of K Space.

I found a NPC Station in a Low Security dead-end system , which intelligence reported it to be a lightly traveled system.

So I purchased a large fleet that was needed to provide the materials for this type of business. However before I contract a courier service I decided to fly out there and see who and what was really happening there. Iā€™m hoping that there are no low life pirates out there that I will have to deal with, but in Eve that is unlikely. Regardless, Iā€™m moving in and will not waist anymore time searching the stars for a home.

(CDL-W6)

Alone yet again, ninja huffing gas, looking out at a far away Nebula, I find myself again reminiscing times past where we had large mining fleets, having purpose and having great conversations. Brothers and Sisters bantering back and forth making life long memories. Memories, only memories. The Drug Manufacturing is in full swing now but itā€™s slow and go. Iā€™m running the whole operation and itā€™s very profitable. Selling to the different Faction Warfare Pilots. War is good for business it seems. But to what end? Waiting for my leader to come back to get us back to the way we were with a different family. Only he has the charisma to do such a thing. I hope he is okay but itā€™s been so long now that Iā€™m losing hope. How long do I wait? How long do I go on?

As I crawl back into my sleep chamber I wonder if the time set I put was too long this time?

(CDL-W7)

Again I stand alone in this NPC station that once was a deserted place to set up shop but has turned into a heavily occupied system. The friendly Corporation that allowed me to use their biochemical reactor has turned against me because they wanted a large percentage of the profits and has closed me out and held my powder and reactions Blueprints for ransom, making me pay four billion to recover.

I complied and asked them to give me a week to liquidate assets to bring them the and they agreed.

Instead I hired mercenaries to take down the structure. The Corporation CEO knew it was me who called the Mercā€™s and asked me to call them off. I did not respond but watched the structure implode. They were no match for the these elite hired thugs.

Now all I do is huff gas and sell for profit.

Itā€™s a boring existence but the money is unmatched in any other venture I would do.

Right then I received a message from the Boss. Message read: Standby to move operations to Pochven. Liquidate all drugs and all materials only. Keep Gas operations docked up and locked down. Make way to Jita in five days. Will meet up with you then. Fly Safe. Pochven? WTā€¦ā€¦.?

(CDL-END OF LINE)

3 Likes

Thanks for the entries so far! I will update list this weekend.

As a reminder please post entries by linking in this thread (if they are found elsewhere) or by a clear label in the Eve Fiction category of these forums, e.g. [YC 124 NEWCWC your work title here] as the title.

Please let us know what category you are submitting for :slight_smile:

I have removed a post not in line with Intergalactic Summit regulations.

2 Likes

Updated with entries to date. We are still rather low on entries, but thereā€™s still plenty of time to submit! Deadline is May 31st!

If you arenā€™t a writer, but read something you think is worthwhile that meets the contest rules, you can also nominate them for the contest!

I would like to submit my recent study Ghost in the Shell - Genetic memory and itā€™s effects on Immortality.for consideration in the ā€˜Otherā€™ Category for Scientific Articles.

3 Likes

I would like to enter Postal drones to category 3.
Thank you.
/C

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: OOC Category - YC 125 New Eden Capsuleers Writing Contest

Nice contest! Surprised I didnā€™t hear of it years ago.

I submit His Home Was Among the Stars for the prose category, as well as the romance and Minmatar culture themes.

2 Likes

Updated with all known entries to date! Reminded deadline is MAY 31st!

1 Like

For the Poetry category I would like to submit a set of Haiku inspired by the Hanalua Island and Surf Resort.

1:
Crystal blue sparkles,
Wave crests behind, heart racing.
White beach, distant shore.

2:
Sunset meets ocean.
Casting red and oranges.
Millions gold freckles.

3:
Salt and Sea and Sun
On gentle breeze through window
Wake up and be home.

Having previously been a judge for this longstanding and amazing competition, Iā€™m now happy to enter as participant. Best of luck to other entrants.

Michelle ā€˜Lightningā€™ Lemmont.
Affiliate of Quafe.

2 Likes