New Player Seeking Vet advice on how to engage a neut fit hull tank Dominix foe

Hello friends,
Recent circumstances have thrown a new type of foe into my home system who shares my TZ playtime and does not appear to be going anywhere. I’ve been playing 6 months now and I love pvp but I find myself facing an enemy I don’t know how to counter for the first time in several months.
He uses a Hull tanked Dominix with Tech 2 neuts (largest able to fit for that hull). In addition to damage drones, he often also throws out ecm drones especially if his gnosis alt(s) are with him which exclusively spit out ecm hornets.
The ECM drones i’m thinking i’ll handle with placing a decent large smartbomb in whatever hull I end up trying’s utility high but I don’t know how to handle an enemy who neuts me into obvlivion while also being able to put out 100% of its DPS and tank without a single drop of capacitor. Neuting him does me no good.
My first thought was a machariel with a smartbomb on 1 high slot and autocannons on the rest then try to kite him outside of the domi’s neut range which I assume to be no more than 20km. However, being a n00b scrub despite my hours of playing daily and learning all I can means I’m not the best at manual piloting and range control especially against a pilot who has much more piloting experience than me.
It should also be known that any large gun weapon type that i’d be recommended to use would have to be tech 1 meta as I have not yet trained any large t2 weapon systems (finished all small t2 weaps and am currently training proj medium t2’s).

Lastly, simply trying to throw a similarly fit Domi against his would probably not go my way since he most definitely has a substantially larger amount of SP so his neut range, amount, resistances, speed, capacitor, drone damage etc etc will all be probably about 10% better than mine.

Sorry for the long post, but I’m hoping to hear your advice on this if you aren’t too busy.

Fly safe friends!
o7

Get some friends and gank him.

1 Like

lol aside from that. in a 1v1 situation what would the ideal counter be?

Sleipnir would eat that. Hurricane/Drake can both murder the drones and not care for the neuts with a NOS. A rupture with 2 Large ASBs would probably have issues tanking the drones for long enough, but could work too.

It’s really just about keeping the drones in the domi’s drone bay and bring something that works without cap.

1 Like

What ship trees can you fly well?

What weapon types can you use better then the rest?

How many hostiles in total and what are they in? (seems like 1 domi and maybe 2 gnosis?)

How much isk would you like to throw at this problem?

Can I get a hostile pilot name to do a background on them?

1 Like

I’d bring a dual-webbed bhaalgorn and teach them what neuts really are.

4 Likes

Get some friends to hot drop caps on him. Or move to a different system.

You can ignore his Nosferatus if you use a ship that’s not dependent on cap, such as a (preferably passive tanked) Rokh (try using passive invulns). Nosferatus kill his capacitor as well so you don’t have to worry that much about range. (dual webs also help).

Then, it’s battleship PVP.

These only work for solo encounters.

It’s troublesome if he has alts because he has more ships than you. Get some friends. Or hire some mercs.

Or, you can tell us where he often is, and some bored guy with an Moros would go and kill him. (but then he might be the new person terrorizing your system).

Maybe just go to another system that’s less inhabited.

1 Like

Not everyone plays carebear Null with cap umbrellas. Go back to your blue donut

1 Like

“You suck, but I suck even more.”

6 Likes

If you really think that having friends or having caps is solely within the domain of big blocs, you are an idiot. If something exists, it is extremely easy to find people who would be interested in helping to kill it.

As for caps, I can’t think of any corp in my home region of Black Rise or neighboring Placid which doesn’t have at least a couple.

2 Likes

I recently had a friend fall to him in a maelstrom fit with 2 XL asb’s. The neuting turned off his hardener and it was unable to keep up with the incoming damage.

I own a bhaal, but the thing is I’m not sure how it would help. His primary ship’s tank and damage are not effected in the slightest even if his ship is completely capped out. The only thing that would accomplish is turning off his ability to scram me, but i’m not intersted in running away i’m interested in turning his pod to slag.

I do have friends in system but the issue is this guy only seems to rear his ugly head late in the evening when all my friends have gone to sleep. This is my time of day where I solo roam around looking for fights on outposts or see what trouble I can get into.
But now he’s insufferable and just hangs around. I’m not moving away as this system is my home and I love it there.
Lastly, I appreciate the recommendation of just listing him here and waiting for someone else to deal with him but that’s not how I like to play the game when I have a vendetta like this.
One of the 100000 reasons I love eve and all the pilots in it is because there is ALWAYS a counter to every 1 on 1 experience. He does have his gnosis alts, but i’ve noticed that if I’m alone in system he doesn’t even bother logging them on and I’m pretty good at tracking where they are to ensure I begin the engagement far enough away to ensure I don’t get interupted.
I am very confident that if I engage him solo he will honor 1 on 1 until it’s too late especially since he underestimates players under a year old and is hull tanked so he doesn’t have much warning.

Thanks again everyone for your recommendations so far. From talking ingame and looking at pyfa my thoughts so far are kiting with a machariel or (even better, but pricey) using a barghest with that sweet sweet long point range.

Also for one of the earlier commentors, he uses Heavy Neuts, not Nos’s as his fit doesn’t really need or care about cap outside of his scram.

Just a small thought here… have you considered one of the Marauders? The Bastion module would eliminate all EW which makes his ECM drones useless and give you insane local reps… maybe this can give some inspiration:

2 Likes

There’s a reason why it’s called the “please drop caps on me” button.

2 Likes

ISD Sak., I would LOVE a marauder. I actually already own a Vargur and a Naglfar (Dred) just because at some point in my career I found a contract available that was set STUPIDLY too cheap but I don’t have the SP to pilot one.

As much as I’d love to stop my training que and just wait 3 months to be able to pilot one, it’d be irresponsible considering I still don’t have advanced weap 5, cap mgmt 5 or any T2 guns outside of the smalls.

I’m thinking kiting with a barghest with a 45km (ish) point on it would work as it would be out of neut. range and have enough DPS to break him without taking a half hour to do it. Also since i’m so far away if he does decide to log in his alts and bring in the gnosis fleet I’ll be able to disengage.

Aside from kiting with something like a barghest or machariel, do you have any other ideas? Again, the main thing it needs to be able to do is kill something that is 100% neut. proof / doesn’t need cap for dps or tank all while having decent tank itself that either can’t be neuted or doesn’t mind it.

As of today i’m still trying to figure out a good fit for a barghest under 1.2 billion isk but i’m clueless on how to fly something like that.

passive regen rattlesnake or praxis. rattle can have 1k hp/s tank.

1 Like

Can you link me an example of the fits?
Don’t rattlesnake passive tanks (and all passive tanks) still largely rely on multispectrum shield hardener(s)? Those get switched off quickly by a full rack of heavy neuts.

something like that

[Rattlesnake, sim]
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II

Cruise Missile Launcher II

Large Core Defense Field Purger II

Ogre II x2

Scourge Fury Cruise Missile x135

no hardeners. maybe build a rattle on sisi and test it against a domi.

1 Like

Do you think it will still be effective with only t1 ammo? I don’t have the SP (only 16.7m sp currently) to have learned large t2 guns yet.