New safe space where no one would dare to shoot you down

Nothing against space everyone goes to find out how lousy it is, there was just a fear that this would catalytically lead to whines about this space catalytically leading to ccp to abide those whines.

It’s quite possible, just not under model CCP operates. You can easily keep people subscribed and playing in a total non-PvP zone, even if they are separated and isolated from each other, if you constantly feed them with new PvE content. At this point playing in such zone would become sort of cooperative (only if you wish to cooperate) almost single-player game. This is what CCP call “theme park mmo/game”. You can’t really say it’s not possible as tons of very popular single-player games exist around you. But ofc if you just will do such thing with current PvE content, that probably will end bad, as it is absolutely terrible and boring.

That would almost surely fail. You’d lose all the subscribers that are left and why should anyone one to play one more cookie cutter PvE/theme park/mmo?

And yeah, PvE content is boring in that humans are very good at beating such content. The true challenge is other players.

For the same reason why millions of people play single player or limited multi-player games - for gameplay, for story, for overall ambient, to escape reality etc. It won’t lose any subscribers, as people who currently do PvE mostly in hs, and PvP oriented players are rarely intersected anyway, they already live in different dimensions. Effect CODE and the like cause in hs is negligible.

That’s totally not true. Games like Dwarf Fortres, or similar feature-rich, game-play rich, totally dynamically generated, thus possessing excellent replayability games exist, as well as more static games, just with so great plot and quests, and mechanics people often complete it several times, and buy all DLCs etc. Full PvE games can easily be made interesting without any MP at all - it just takes much more efforts for this, and you’ll need to constantly feed a new, rich content to players, or create some immensely-rich engine generating everything dynamically to such extent each play (say, each PvE mission in Eve) is totally unique and challenging. Some limited cooperation may be added as well, allowing to complete missions with friends, for more fun. Such framework more than enough to keep a certain audience in game for years (WoW is proof to this)

It also seems to me you miss my point. I don’t advocate for such change (I’m totally sure CCP are incapable of handling both the current Eve and such story-rich, gameplay-rich PvE realm). I just noted that saying “it’s impossible” is totally incorrect.

You’d have to go get them first. And in the mean time you’d probably lose the vast majority of your already paying customers. And you’d have months of reworking just about every aspect of the game and you’d likely have to fire your current staff and start over as you’d likely have a problem with the culture at the company already.

You make it sound like it can be done with no transition costs and that millions will subscribe. That is just absolute pure fantasy.

It may not be impossible but it would be extremely risky…a huge risk built almost entirely on wishful thinking.

Play on test Server there is agression forbidden. Otherwise Eve is not the game you want.

1 Like

As a person who generally avoids PvP, I see no point in this.

You can already achieve 100% safety in highsec. The trick is, you simply have to play the game as intended. Never forget that PvEers in this game are content for the PvPers. If you don’t like that, please uninstall EvE and go somewhere else. Stop trying to remove what little challenge remains in the game.

7 Likes

Anyone who demands safe spaces, while still demanding connection to the game’s economy, is likely a botter and or RMTer.

You’re not a botter and or RMTer, are you?

:face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

There is already a safe place in Eve, it’s called a station. Anything else takes you out of the sandbox that is Eve.

22 days later. Not bad.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this… but the scenario/idea that the OP is talking about has already been done.
I should know because I was literally there as it happened.

Look up “Ultima Online” and “Trammel server”

For those of you not familiar with this game or that server and/or don’t want to expend the effort to read:

• Ultima Online was one of the first MMOs to hit the market.
    Its “safety” mechanics were similar to those of EVE’s in the sense that you could be killed by anyone and everyone outside of town (see: low-sec, null-sec, W-space) and in town the guards would swiftly shank anyone who disrupted the peace (see: high-sec).
    When you died, you respawned back in town… but were pretty much naked and had to either buy new stuff (weapons, clothes, etc) or hope you had some equipment squirreled away somewhere.

• There was a vocal group of players who did not like this design and wanted a “safe server” that allowed them to PvE in peace.

• Said “safe server” would not allow for gold and asset transfers between them. Additionally, it would be a “parallel” world to the “normal” server (so any beasties or loots you find in one, you can find in the other. Literally the only difference between the two servers was the PvP toggle).

• Since Ultima Online was already in a slow state of decline, the DEVs decided to do it (to give the non-PvP community something and shore up its subscription numbers). They dubbed it “Trammel server.” Much fanfare ensued among the carebear community.

The results were pretty interesting:

• Most of the player population from the “old” PvP server relocated to the new non-PvP server.

• Subscription numbers initially climbed.

• The old server became a “ghosttown” populated only by a small number of players. Who then quickly got bored because they were basically fighting the same people over and over again.

• PvP players either left the game entirely or moved onto the PvE server (because that was where people were now) and tried to find ways to… get around the “no PvP” rule. Some success, but the DEVs closed up the loopholes as they came along.

• Trammel Server’s markets surged with goods… and then suffered an economic collapse. Armor and weapons suffered from wear and tear, sure… but there was no more loss of stuff anymore. Thus, little demand for new stuff.
    Crafters began to leave the game because their chosen profession was basically worthless now. And there wasn’t enough demand for stuff on the PvP server any longer (because people were either leaving the PvP server or the PvP players knew how to make their own stuff).

• PvE players got bored because they could optimize their gear and tactics purely for PvE (rather than have to balance between PvE and PvP gear and tactics)… and thus became VERY efficient at it.
    So much so that the DEVs started to struggle producing enough content to keep the PvE players happy (Origin was/is a relatively small company).

• Subscription numbers began to decline again.

Ultima is still up… but it is a shadow of what it once was.

In my opinion; Trammel server was one of the biggest mistakes Origin ever made. All that time and effort they spend on making the new server could have been spent on actual mechanical changes to the game.

Then again… UO was pretty much an icebreaker into the field of MMOs and did not have the luxury of hindsight the way we do now.

No, to “no PvP” zones in EVE.

5 Likes

There are bugs in game mechanics that stop progress of the game. And CONCORD delay is one of them. High-sec must be totally safe.

3/10

It’s an effective troll attempt on its own merits, but delivering it in a troll thread where everyone is already watching for trolls is probably not very effective. You will probably get more reactions (and a better score) if you work on your targeting a bit.

1 Like

Concord delay is for realism and balance, considering they are already inescapable.

I think you are being a bit generous, the final sentence totally gave it away. 2/10.

HAHAHAHAHA no… go play SP games or stay in 1,0 system where concord response is almost instant

the new safe space can be jove space, where the only way out is by self-destruct

1 Like

A long long time ago EVE had that safe spot(back in 2008). Have to say that I really liked it cause it was a friendly way to start the game, so bringing it back would not be a bad idea. Back then you could choose yourself if you wanted to pvp or just spend your time shooting lazers at a rock. You joined the navy when you wanted some action and left it when you wanted to be left alone, was pretty nice. Only read through like 10 comments and have to say that most were pretty childish and selfish. Everyone doesnt like to kill others, some just want to do their own stuff without being robbed or ganked by a boored troll.

I do not agree with alot that was written, but I do agree that there should be a safe place. We dont want the robot miners back(they prob still exsist but hopefully less) and I dont think its fair that the safe place should have access to 0.5 stuff(like 0.9-1.0 systems only). They should not have access to agents higher than lvl 2 in those systems. It should be very restricted and there should be a carrot for em to explore outside the safe zone. They could have higher taxes in the safe zone. Its pretty easy to restrict it so that noone wants to live there forever. But putting a new player now against a 10 year troll is abit cruel from developers side so I still do think the safe zone is needed. 10 years ago a 1 year player had no chance whatsoever against a 3 year so I dont think that fact has changed.

Read the reply about what happened to Ultima Online and how a game collapses when everyone gets everything and so on. I played UltimaOnline and that did happen, rejoined the game some years laters and the biggest problem was that everyone had everything and every better dungeon was filled with players cause noone had to live in fear anymore. Thats why I think giving em a restricted small area and very tiny part of the economy cant hurt the game.

Giving them a safe system would also gather em at the same spot so that if the trolls thinks its unfair then make like 5 exits only so they can camp them and steal the cargo if they try to sell it outside their safe zone.

I know most react to this like " I had to survive that ■■■■ so why shouldnt they". My question to you is that “If your life was rough and you had to go trough alot of ■■■■, do you wish the same for your children?”

I say, give em 10 systems in the middle with 5 exits, doubble tax cause of the protection, no higher than lvl 2 missions, no ice, no sites, no moons, no planets, Just rats,10 stations and 50 belts. Restrict the area to T1 ships so they will move out when they are rdy. Biggest ship cruiser. Just give them a safe place to spend the time in while training their skills.

i’m 3 months into the game subbed and i plex my account often but i feel its coming to an end…i hope some kind of system like this is put into place :expressionless:

Why? EVE has never had safe spaces, and never will. If there were, it wouldn’t be EVE. The game is safer now for new players, or just players in general, than it has ever been…