New Tutorial Feedback/Comments

New player here, just started 3 weeks ago. The tutorial was very helpful in learning the basic mechanics of the game. The career agents, however, could use some work. Some of them give incomplete or confusing instructions, especially the exploration agent is less than helpful in explaining how to actually scan down a signature.

There used to be a video series on this in the “Help” function of the game (3 or 4 videos, which could be watched in-game). Those were extremely helpful in learning how to scan down things, unfortunately, it appears they recently got removed. I created an alt about a week ago, simply because I was curious about how the game looks when played as a character from another faction, and I was trying to help another newb in my corp channel by pointing them to these videos, but they were nowhere to be found.

Overall, I found the career agents to be extremely valuable as a new player, as they give you an easy way to earn some good ISK while exploring the basic mechanics of the game, as well as earn some free ships along the way. But they could be made a bit more newb friendly (i.e. more in the style of the tutorial). An exploration tutorial would be great.

Shoutout to my character’s default corp (CAS) at this point for being very patient and extremely helpful in guiding me through those steps where the career agents were lacking. Would have never made it this far without you!

1 Like

1 month old player here: The tutorial was a good start, and got me up to speed with very basic ship command and mission running. I also appreciated the extended career missions to find and develop your desired play style.

My suggestion would be to have additional extended tutorials available to take new players through the different ship builds and how to use them. The tutorial and mission agents touched on this just a little, but having more advanced training in building an EWAR, Kiting-Sniping, Brawler etc… type builds to test the water at a basic frigate level, and additionally being able to test them using different race/class ships would have been very cool.

Otherwise, overall a great experience so far!

New player. Basic intro tutorial is acceptable. But newbies need Aura to stick around and provide the same detailed “open this, click that” instructions during the career agent tracks. If I hadn’t watched YouTube videos for a month before creating a character, I would have been completely lost. As it is, we are told to “do X”, with no automated guidance on HOW to do it. Thx!

for me its been broke

coming out of tutorial into first career agent game freezes every time . have to cancel the tutorials last step in order to move forward

I like that there is effort to introduce and guide players to and through the game,please spend more resources on that :slightly_smiling_face:

I recommend a mission that gives you a contract during the tutorial and then you get blown up and screwed out of your isk so that you know that’s what 99% of contracts are. SCAMS

I’ve only been playing for a few hours but I’m stuck in the tutorial at the fitting window part. The instructions say to fit the “highlighted turrets” and there is nothing highlighted. I had to try fitting every single turret one by one until I found one I was allowed to fit. And now it’s telling me to fit ammo. There is no tab or mudle labled ammo. I tried googling how to find this and found no info. Does anyone know where ammo is?

Разрабы вы совсем ебанулись? Летаю без году неделя убивают на каждом углу, так еще неделю PVP устроили. Ебитесь сами в эту игру сами с геями товарищами…

I made a new alpha character and went through the latest version of the tutorial. Looks better, even clearer than before with all the extra arrows and text boxes explaining locations etc. (perhaps a tad overdone, but it’s quite difficult to do this pretending to be a rookie again). The only other thing that could perhaps further improve it would be spoken messages.
There was one glitch, when one of the targeted ship radials was hidden behind the Overview window, but that may have been from my personal settings, not sure.

However, the normal progression with the career agents still requires attention and would benefit from the same additions (arrows, text boxes) as the initial tutorial. There are plenty of inconsistencies in those missions that may confuse rookies.

I’m trying to run through the Tutorial with a 14+ year old character. The first step went without a hitch, but now I’m stuck on “Fortress in the Rocks”. Killed the ships, but Aura now wants me to train “Surgical Strike”, which has been at level 5 for a long, long time. No other Gunnery skill will progress the tutorial. Devs, please fix this! Aura is now stuck in my UI, which is annoying! :wink:

Also, when you complete all 45 missions from the Career Agents, it would be nice to mark it in the Agency as ‘completed’…

2 Likes

I am brand new to Eve and I like the way the tutorials are done. I especially like the career agent paths.

However, the Exploration Career Tutorials could use some work. I don’t expect have to go outside the game to look at youtube videos or other websites to try to find out how to complete the objectives in a tutorial.

The rest, in my opinion, are fine but tutorials should be exactly that and teach you what you need to know.

3 Likes

I second that one. I tried Exploration Career but since I’m too stupid to understand what the game tells me to do and how, I’m still at the second mission.

The Exploration Career Tutorial is notoriously confusing. All Rookie Help volunteers will confirm this.

I was told by an ISD a few days ago not to post links to Youtube in Rookie Help, so I will post them here.

Here’s Mike’s excellent video, showing all 5 missons: Mike’s Walkthrough starting at mission 1/5

For other help, here’s the link to the Eve Online Flight Academy page, which holds the instructional videos originally available under the F12 (Help) button. You will find more useful information there as well. Eve Online Flight Academy

The videos linked above are at least 3 years old, some minor details may have changed since their creation.

1 Like

Thanks a lot :+1:

I’m lost when I read this thread.
You guys mention stuff in the tutorial I didn’t see. The tutorial I did when I started is nothing like what I saw once I finished it.
One exemple:

Am I missing other tutorial that I didn’t see in the game ?
How many tutorials are there ?

thanks for reply o7

I realise it’s a bit late now but there’s the main tutorial when you first make your character and then five career agent missions Aura tells you about at the end - more indepth tutorials that give you some free ships and isk. You don’t have to do them but it’s recommended that you do.

I’m a new player who did tutorial. That first one with the AI was good. Especially that AI had a voice. This game could use some more voice acting. Even on stations as ambient sound in the background. That gives better immersion.

When it comes to the career agents ( I was told they count as tutorial, if not sorry) it was mostly ok but had 2 major problems:

First. Exploration; that was was very bad. Had to look for help on YT. Especially on mission number 3.

Military patch was even worse. On mission number 2 or 3, I dont really remember, after clicking warping to destination I ended up in sector with -0.9 security and was blasted by armada of big ships and was dead before I could do anything. Since then I avoid military career. Industrial and business career misions were the best imo.

1 Like

The tutorial is so bad for new players. This game is by far harder then anything and the tutorial is not make it easier.

I tried this game and I quit playing after getting stuck in 2 agent missions. But let’s start from the beginning?

Eve experience for new player:

Click “Play game” didn’t work. I hade to close the launcher and open it again - OK… bugs, no problem.
The first real hard part was fire your weapons. The interface is so bad that you don’t get feedback if the weapon is on or off. After looking at the screen and noting happen I just click the fire button all the time until that I got the message that the other ship been destroyed. Or maybe that’s what I had to do? Anyway, I passed the tutorial and I’m now trying to do the agents:

I first clicked on the “Explorer agent”. The first mission was to find something but no one told me that I need to find a well hidden “Probe scanner” button that hidden inside a small “scanner” button! It’s so stupid that the mission text don’t tell you that!!! Somehow the 2nd mission was the same and then I got the impossible mission: something with “Data Analyzer”. I do installed it, again no feedback if it’s working or not (the EVE famous bad interface design - no feedback everywhere). But I don’t know what to do in this mission. How to use the data analyzer? WHERE to use it? noting. If you are new player die.

So I tried the explorer agent. First mission was easy. Then the dead end for new players: I don’t have enough ore for the 2nd mission and no tutorial how to find a mining spot myself.

So dead end, unfriendly interface, no tutorial -> I quit.

It looks like the developers hate new players and they have enough players so they don’t want more players.

bye

There’s opportunity for confusion during the first hours of your EvE time. Most of it can be avoided by reading everything (twice) and absorbing details. All active modules on a ship give visual feedback when in use, namely a progressing green arc on the outer edge of the module.

I’d say, give it another try, and make use of the Rookie Help channel. The EvE veterans active in that channel will help you find your way through the AI and most of the issues with career agents (the exploration one is indeed notorious). From your remarks (which are all true, btw) I can tell you didn’t make use of the channel.

Most of all, you need a little patience. The UI is a reflection of the game, complex and many-layered.

So, fire up the game once more, and ask your questions in our help channel. It’s usually a good place with lots of good information and help to rookies (which we do care about, by the way).
The vets there treat rookies very much like …
2fi849

Actually there is a good feedback if a gun is on or off.

Next time you activate your gun, look at the icon. If any module is active, you will see a circle going around the module indicating it’s cycle time.