New "UI-Only" toggle option now on Singularity

Hello all,

With the latest patch on Singularity, we have added a the ability to toggle the 3D view when in space, or in your hangar. The ability to toggle off the 3D scene will allow quick access to a high-performance, low-GPU-usage mode when viewing the 3D scene is not necessary. When toggled with a keystroke (Control+Shift+F9, and can be re-binded), it will eliminate the need to go through settings menus, and will allow nearly instant reactivation of the 3D view when desired.

This has been a feature requested a few times from the community, and has been developed with collaboration from the CSM.

Weā€™re looking forward to hearing your feedback on this mode, or if there are any issues you encounter please create a bug report while on Singularity with the details of your issue.

Fly safe o7

30 Likes

That was really fast. Great job!

Eve Online: Server Core

5 Likes

Can I get an option to replace the 3d scene with a nice Excel background?

10 Likes

Is it April first?

1 Like

Oh this is amazing! Iā€™m glad you still show the relative position of objects in space as well as the general direction of the sun through a gradient change.

2 Likes

This is great.

The removal of static station interior badly hurt doing industry/trading on low end machine (it used to replaced the 3d interior with simple static image. And in practice a low end machine would just result in black image).

Now the feature returns and also extends to space.

3 Likes

This is great. Will it be allowed for tools like eve-o preview ( https://github.com/Phrynohyas/eve-o-preview ) to do this automatically for clients that are not focused or would it be breach to eula since it would be technically simulating user input?

4 Likes

@Eris_Kirke
Automatic input from a third party tool is not allowed. Please refer to the EVE-O Readme which covers your question (it must not be used to broadcast any user input).

5 Likes

This sounds great, and I like the idea of automatically switching off rendering for clients out-of-focus. It doesnā€™t sound too hard to make that an option, but I imagine thereā€™s a bit of delay when switching through clients (like tabbing through them) when they all need to reinitialize rendering?

Can we get an in-client toggle that auto-disables 3D rendering when the client loses focus instead?

5 Likes

Can i just ask why was this ask for again? I mean what PCs are people running if its struggling in potato mode?

Thatā€™s not a bad idea. Iā€™ll pass it on to the appropriate people on the graphics team.

14 Likes

Weā€™re hoping this will be useful both for players who want to lower GPU load on very low-end machines and for those who are engaged in fleet fights with thousands of players on grid that might be very taxing for their systems to render.

6 Likes

Would you guys also consider the option of ā€œUI-Only Upon Dockingā€ so the anomalous unforgiving hardware perfomance succubus that is the station environment wonā€™t explode my computer because it somehow manages to engulf 20%+ more resources than the in-space performance we can experience the glorious pixelated outside environment when in space but straight-to-business when docked?

5 Likes

Very nice change. Thanks

So after years of fighting the ā€˜Spreadsheets in Spaceā€™ memeā€¦ youā€™ve decided to lean in? :slight_smile:

Seriously, though, this is really handy for a lot of purposes.

6 Likes

unlike your posting :boomroasted:

1 Like

As you probably know, we used to have a setting that replaced the 3D view in hangars with a still image. It was removed as part of a pass to simplify the settings menu by taking out lesser-used settings.

Not sure if bringing that setting back would be on the table, but in the meantime I suggest binding this toggle to a convenient key and toggling when you dock or undock. It takes effect instantly and you will probably forget youā€™re doing it.

2 Likes

This seems like very low-hanging fruit, why not re-implement it? Think of the power savings! :smiley:

1 Like