[NEWEL] Obituary - Marshal Protector Alizabeth

What an inane and baseless theory this is. You really are like a growling mongrel stray with a bone you don’t want to give up. Your blind hatred for the Aga-Count has stolen your sense.

What’s next, will the Aga-Count be behind the assassination of the late Empress? Or perhaps the Kyonoke virus, perhaps that was him all along! If the Sanmatar catches ill, shall we find the Aga-Count hiding in his medicine cabinet?

Not every poor circumstance in the cluster is the fault of your favourite enemy, and the escape of this… beast can no more be attributed to him than you or I. Unless of course, you consider the Aga-Count capable of single handedly outwitting the entire MIO.

1 Like

I think people are being too mean to Orlon. All the living girls turned him down.

And Ali was pretty hot. If you can only get some from dead girls, she’s probably somewhere near the top of the list.

3 Likes

Yes, the escape of one Blooder officer of the Royal Uhlans couldn’t possibly be attributable in any way to another Blooder officer of the Royal Uhlans who was rewarded shortly thereafter.

Don’t worry your pretty little head about your precious Derp-Duke, girl, I’m sure you won’t have to take his cock out of your mouth any time soon.

3 Likes

You don’t have even the slightest shred of genuine evidence for this do you? You’ve taken some coincidences and repeated them in your head until they neatly fit your tiny world view.

While I’m sure the Aga-Count is a perfectly adequate lover, we have never met.

I’m sure it’d be a fascinating exercise discovering which orifice of yours the Sarumites have been enjoying however.

Her mouth, but only when it puts you specifically in your place.

5 Likes

Well, this escalated quickly. I am sure the Beast approves the tone in which her obituary is discussed.

Also, Zashev does not need to be a Blooder. He’s an asshole Khanid slaver in any case and that is sufficient for his being brought to justice. Arguing how much he loves a particular kind of other asshole slavers is beside the point.

2 Likes

Considering her place is beneath me, I doubt anyone would enjoy that.

As soon as one tasteless individual violates this thread meant to pay respect to someone held dear to us, you lot seem to take that as cue to continue the pattern. I am again disappointed in you all.

Stop this disgraceful and vulgar display now. Elsebeth and Orlon are not examples to follow, so stop acting like it.

6 Likes

And think of all the extra holes.

For real though, Ali was someone I could grudgingly respect. Very grudgingly. May she rest in peace. ( I hope no one was actually so daft as to honestly believe I would advocate violating a corpse.)

1 Like

Alizabeth was an interesting individual, but one with a warrior’s heart. I first encountered her in the operations of SERAPH.

Immediately after participating in the Succession Trials, she worked with PNS to repel the Drifter invasion of the Throne Worlds, becoming one of the few pilots to tank hundreds of Drifter ‘doomsdays’ a night. After the invasion was pushed back, Alizabeth followed the Drifters into their ‘hives’ with ARC and then formed her own group, SERAPH, when she felt ARC wasn’t genocidal enough.

Near the end of her time with ARC and the beginnings of SERAPH was when she established the doctrine and tactical approach that led to lossless attacks on the ‘hives,’ allowing for extended operations. She was even recognized by CONCORD for her skill at command and leadership. Of course, she gave all the credit to the pilots that flew with her. The foundations Alizabeth laid down are still employed.

Even in Delve, she killed Drifters, employing supercapital assets to engage and destroy them in the dozens.

While not in space, Alizabeth was Lady Newelle’s Marshal Protector and leader of Para’nashu ground forces, a role she was well-suited for. As part of a House Sarum force on Alkabsi, she participated in a textbook pacification operation.

Growing up, my mother would always tell me that a noblewoman never reacts to rudeness. She pretends she doesn’t recognize it and moves on like it never happened, because it never should have. With respects to my late mother, though I would not normally deign to respond to such a rude and uncouth statement made by the gentleman from Khanid, I will in this case.

I hope that Orlon Zashev does acquire the body of Alizabeth, for it’s as close to greatness as he will ever get.

3 Likes

I had the honor of getting to serve with Ali in SERAPH. She was . . . amazing. She led us to accomplish things against the hives that people didn’t think could be done at the time, and gave me something to be part of. That time with SERAPH was great, when we were together like that, doing great things, with her always thinking ‘but how can we do better’ and making us all better.

I wish I’d spent more time getting to know her, and kept in touch more after SERAPH. She was . . . really special, and she’ll be missed.

3 Likes

I did not have the opportunity to know Marshal Protector Alizabeth nearly so well as I should wish, but I have greatly admired her for a long time. It was an honour to meet her in person, and I feel very blessed for the experience. I feel her loss very sorely, and feel no shame in admitting that I wept when I heard of her death.

That our enemies speak so gleefully of her passing shows only how formidable a warrior she was. Proud and courageous, she is an example of loyalty and devotion that we Amarrians should look up to. I hope I should in time have but a fraction of her martial prowess, her bravery.

I shall certainly continue to honour her memory, and offer daily prayers for her soul in our family chapel. It is the least I can do to remember her.

4 Likes

My sister was less of a human being and more of a weapon. She had been shaped to be such by the State. I do not blame the State, it was utterly necessary that we sacrifice some of our own to protect us. And, I know Alizabeth went willingly.

As a weapon, she was fantastic.

As a person, she was miserable. From the time she left the CalNavMarines, she was listless, sinking. She sunk into depravity by joining the Blooders and taking lives. It was all she knew how to do. It took all I could to being her out of that. And when she did, Alizabeth Vea was so horrified she took her own life in the Teamaker Ceremony.

My mistake was to bring her back. I was the one that had the graduation backup. I used it, hoping she could be different. It was selfish of me to do so, but she was the only family I had left.

The woman that came back was not my sister. She was a revenant. I never stopped loving her, but I couldn’t change her from her path. Alizabeth was still a weapon. This time, instead of going to the Blooders, she went to the Amarr.

It doesn’t surprise me that she earned her moniker, “The Beast of Alkabsi.”

To all those she hurt after I brought her back, I am sorry. Truly sorry.

Now that she is gone, I can only feel relief.

1 Like

Up to now, I’ve treated my feelings in this as something private, but, seeing this, I guess it’s time I broke my silence.

Alizabeth was my friend. That’s something it seems now that you want to say is a shameful thing, but I never once thought of it that way.

Both our reasons for being in the Empire and our formal postions were similar. Ali’s oath of service to Lady Newelle resembled mine to Directrix Daphiti, and we were both trying to redeem ourselves. Our real positions were different, though. Ali of course converted to Amarrian belief and practice, while I’m still stubbornly an Achur, but, also, I serve Directrix Daphiti as a sort of advisor, agent, and aide. Ali was always a soldier, through and through.

Ali chided me, once, for not personally sending the letters informing my crew’s loved ones of their deaths. It was a commander’s duty, she said, a method of taking responsibility. But I couldn’t take that kind of responsibility on. It would break my heart and sear my soul, to tell all those people, myself, that I’d killed someone close to them-- by my error, or by another’s, or just as a cost of war. Such things are impossible for me. I don’t think it hurt her any less, but I do think she was better armored, more familiar and even comfortable with military duty and sacrifice.

She was a person of huge zeal, whatever she put her mind to. There wasn’t a lot of gray in her world. Things were mostly hot or cold, good or bad. She didn’t have a lot of time for the kind of ruminating and philosophizing I spend so much time on, or worrying over things, either: “clutching pearls” wasn’t something she had a lot of respect for. She loved it when her path was clear; until then, she just had to wait until she had orders or some circumstance made her duty obvious.

Even at Alkabsi, where she plainly admired her opponents, there was no ambiguity for her. She had a job to do, a duty to perform, and her duty was all. Whatever her feelings, it was the right, the only, thing to do.

She often applied that black and white sensibility to herself, as well. She was fighting for her soul, but she struggled with the ambiguities. She was either performing her role to the letter or failing utterly; either a hero or monster.

Even so, even after her falling-out with Directrix Daphiti, she was able to maintain her friendship with me, the Directrix’s sworn retainer. It didn’t seem easy for her. Nothing in that situation did. It was messy, and messy and Ali weren’t a good fit.

Messy was a little inevitable, though, maybe. A capsuleer’s life is full of contradictions, some small, some not so small. The world’s complex, and Ali struggled a little navigating that complexity. She had trouble seeing herself as someone flawed but worthwhile, like any of us. She had trouble seeing even herself in anything like neutral tones. Mostly it seemed, in her own eyes, that either she’d done great things or she deserved to die.

And she did do great things. She served Lady Newelle in standing for House Sarum at the succession, of course, and was honored for that. She served the Newelles loyally for years. But, also, and to my mind more importantly, she was a key developer of the Drifter-hunting doctrine we still use today.

Her devotion to the memory of Empress Jamyl I was as close to absolute as I ever saw. To her, the fight against the Drifters was a holy war. She was never satisfied with anything less than total success. Early in our conflict with the Drifters, the prevailing doctrine required huge fleets to allow for attrition with almost every engagement. Losses were so predictable that I started naming all my Hive-op caracals the “Acceptable Loss I,” II, III, IV, etc… It was largely, perhaps specifically, Alizabeth who pressed for the changes that reduced our losses to almost nothing and made Hives runnable by just a handful of pilots.

We’d likely have lost a great many more people, if it hadn’t been for her.

She was definitely a troubled person. That trouble seems to be what led her, eventually, to put herself in a position to truly die, and then go down fighting. But I can’t condemn her. It’s interesting to me that she did not ultimately seem to condemn herself, either. The notion of taking responsibility for failure with one’s life is a common one in Caldari society, and it’s one our cultures share (to the occasional frustration of the Amarr in our lives).

Ali didn’t die like someone taking responsibility for failure, though-- didn’t take tea, didn’t open her throat, didn’t blow her own brains out with a pistol. Maybe she saw herself that way, but the way she went out was more like one of her soldiers.

I wonder if maybe, at the end, she couldn’t stand being an immortal commander of mortal soldiers anymore. So many others had given up their lives for her like that. Maybe she didn’t feel like she could be redeemed anymore, like her continued life wouldn’t be a net positive for her children and the world, and that a sacrifice of that kind wasn’t one she should be entitled to.

… unless she also made it herself.

Either way, I won’t remember my friend as a monster, Ms. Vea. She was a person, with faults and virtues and triumphs and failures and … huge passion for the things and people she cared for.

If you insist on painting my friend’s memory black, if you insist on treating her life as though it produced nothing of worth, you’re doing her the same disservice she did to herself, again and again.

Thank you for trying to bring her back. I’d never have known Ali if you hadn’t revived her. Knowing her was a privilege, so thank you for granting me that. There are people dead because she lived; that’s not a record any combat pilot can really throw rocks at. But there are people alive for that reason, as well.

Whatever the true balance of her life might be, I can’t call it a mistake.

I will miss her.

7 Likes

To the dead, we only owe the truth. There were a lot of people in this thread gushing about how great the revenant was. In the end, she wound up supporting a corrupt system that is the antithesis of nearly everything Caldari.

The one bright spot on her undeath was finding and freeing her children. As a mother, she was ill suited to the task, but she gave it a go anyways, because of a promise. Of course, now with Mitara Newelle threatening to Reclaim them, Alizabeth’s one good achievement might only be temporary.

Not only do I consider them family, they legally are my wards.

7 Likes

I’ll leave the question of the children between you and Lady Newelle, but …

“Revenant” … “undeath” … you seem eager to dehumanize Alizabeth, Ms. Vea-- to make a ghost of her. I might have trouble seeing such statements with clear eyes. People who knew my own predecessor, who were close to her, have sometimes talked about me that way: like I wasn’t really her. Or really anyone.

I never knew Ali at the times you’d have regarded her as living. To me there was never any doubt that she was a person-- wounded, sure. To a greater or lesser degree, maybe most people are.

Dehumanizing people’s a dangerous thing to do-- usually most immediately for the people you dehumanize, but Ali’s dead, so it can’t hurt more than maybe her memory. It’s also dangerous, though, because it makes you imagine that humans are much more limited than they are. It makes you think, “The one who could do such a thing isn’t human.”

It’s not true. There’s nothing inhuman about doing monstrous things, and given cause a large percentage of humanity could do things we don’t like to even imagine.

If you call yourself human, and her inhuman, it’ll make it harder to notice if you’re in danger of becoming as she was. Or darker still.

7 Likes

As an outside observer, I wonder what gives you any right to lecture her family on how to feel about her?

3 Likes

What an interesting question. I’ve started to answer it about six different ways, ranging from the angry to the reflective and back again.

I guess … is family so especially important? I suppose it must be.

But Alizabeth discarded her family’s name. She hated being addressed by it.

I have no reason to think Ali blamed Ms. Vea, or the family generally, for what she became, but she definitely blamed herself. … And she couldn’t stand the name. So. Apparently her sister wasn’t foremost in her mind when she thought of the name “Vea.” I guess perhaps she felt they were part of what had destroyed her.

She definitely felt she was alone in the world.

I can relate: I carry the name of the man who murdered my mother, along with his blood-- not that I can remember any of that. For my own part I’ve never even tried to contact my family. I’m a kinslayer to begin with; I murdered my grandfather. Not that I can remember that either, but if I did have those memories I have no reason to think I’d remember those who raised me with a lot of gratitude.

Even if that’s true, though, Mother’s clan has suffered more than enough grief at my hands, so … I just stay away.

So, like I said, Ali and I had a few things in common. Black sheep flock together, or something? (I have no actual reason to think sheep are that selective about who they share a flock with.)

Ali found other family, different family, family she chose for herself, and I don’t mean myself. I mean the children Ms. Vea now claims to speak for.

And then, also, when I see someone acting cruelly towards someone I care about (and sometimes even someone I don’t), I sometimes don’t think of myself as needing more “right” than my power of speech. I’ve already transgressed about the most absolute rule about family in my society. So, I guess, it’s hard to feel like I’m digging that debt much deeper.

2 Likes

So there it is, “Marshal Protector Alizabeth” is revealed as having been a Blooder in her own right. The “Marshal Protector” of the Newelles had a deep history with the Blood Raiders, a hip deep in gore and death type of history.

The “incredible loss” suffered by the Holding of Lady Mitara Newelle was that of the death of a vile Blood Raider who they succored and cosied in their very deepest bosom. A Holding, let’s not forget, that was earned with the direct aid of this Blooder they admitted into their highest military counsel and guard.

Yet members of the Newelle Family, their retainers, liberal allies and Ammatar traitor and apostate connections have the gall to cast aspersions on the good name of His Majesty Farokh Khanid III.

This gaggle of wayward capsuleer adventurers and liberal fops have the astounding temerity and humbug to slander we of the Khanid Kingdom who are faithful and true to the right proper order and destiny of Holy Amarr, with their repeated and unsubstantiated slanders and sly whisperings about “Sanist taint”.

All this while they continually traffic with rebel mercenaries, wanted criminals, apostate slaves and the One Lord alone knows what other evil doers.

Grotesque. Absurd. Squalid.

Impious? Criminal? Heretical?

We shall see soon enough.

I have the honor to be,

Alar

Aga-Count Chakaid of Kahah III,
Sa-Baron of Ves-Sefris, Zirsem V,
Paladin Deacon, Orders Militant of the Theology Council,
Plenipotentiary Representative of His Majesty Farokh Khanid III

3 Likes