Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

If you do what you want, if you don´t do what you want, if you do or do not do what you think you want, it is all the same.

Some people like to put chains in themselves and call it “virtues”, “vice” or whatever word they fancy at the moment. It ok too, EVERYTHING is because it could not be otherwise at that moment.

Not happy with something? Do something about it. Or don´t.
Happy with something? Enjoy it! Or don´t

Typing here to avoid contributing to yet another Diana Kim thread. An ECM burst does have a chance of disrupting medical devices in individuals that communicate with servers or potentially things like that; it’s less destructive than an EMP for sure but any big area of effect denial attack like that has its consequences.

2 Likes

ECM does indeed have a chance to disrupt medical equipment and course harm that way. See ECM as the lesser more specific targeting cousin to EMP

At the very least, you didn’t commit a very basic grammatical error three words before touting being ‘better educated’. So you’ve got that going over him.

To be better educated than me isn’t that high of a bar to clear.

Do you have any idea if this group does tours outside Republic or Federation space? Maybe… To a station or three in Venal? And not for any kind of charity, there’s money on the table here to make something like this happen.

5 Likes

I did actually promise to organise a gig with them. I guess I have to follow through on that promise.

6 Likes

Excellent! Just excellent. Now If you can get to them with the idea and maybe get their manager, you or whatever to contact me, and we can work out all the details.

This very well could be a good attraction for the stations they visit to sell some tickets, food and drinks. And i assume this band has merchandise, therefore i’d think it be a grand opportunity to sell some of that here…I can also arrange for secure transportation of said merchandise so none of the locals get grabby hands all of a sudden

2 Likes

lovely seal you’ve got there, maybe i should get it tattooed

Taking my foreign self out of the thread.

Sure. I mean, capsuleers are almost always going to be wealthy and live comfortably no matter how vile they are, but at least pressure can be put on the worst among us and people can be educated as to what people are doing. Kinda hard for the worst nutjobs to get any support from anyone other than other buffoons if their actions are plastered all over Galnet.

Sure, but calling out the monsters lowers the chance that somebody who isn’t evil might accidentally help a monster out of ignorance. The craziest of us will be stuck with one another.

1 Like

Following on the “staying out of somebody else’s oath thread” theme:

@Astaire_Quatrevaux

This is sort of just concretizing some stuff others have said, but …

A lot of private oaths are promises made to someone in particular, a person or a small group. My oath of service to Directrix Daphiti is like that; I’m not exactly secretive about it, but in the end the only person whose judgment on whether and how well I’ve kept it really matters is Directrix Daphiti herself.

A public oath is more likely to be a promise to a larger group, like a whole nation or a public figure (like the Empress) who has so many subjects she’s going to have a lot of trouble personally keeping track of everybody’s loyalty. The expectation is that those who witness the oath are, well, witnesses.

I think that’s what Mr. Aloga was taking: an oath his entire clan, tribe, and maybe nation stands to judge his performance of.

1 Like

I did not object to foreigners; I objected to the disrespect by them.

And I’ve respectfully moved my conversation with Astaire here.

3 Likes

I appreciate it.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of arguing in almost every empire-specific thread that typically ends up being off-topic or only quasi related and it just goes on and goes on and goes on.

1 Like

Which foreigners were disrespecting the oath? Nearly all of them were agreeing with you. Saronu appeared to take potshots at something, but it was so cowardly and vague as to not be worth the attention.

Unless you’re referring to me, which… heh.

I’ll certainly attempt to be more… valorous in my future opinions. An absurd sentence to be certain, but it gives context to your apparent misapprehension that cowardly applies to anything you might dislike.

Vague is a descriptor that might warrant a sensible answer, that character is of more value than words is a broad concept. But not I think vague, if however you require assistance in seeing how it was applied. Aloga’s character makes us believe his oath, or doesn’t, it is not for the oath to make him believable; and with the fluidity of his allegiances. Would you vouch for his character?

I would, in fact.

There are plenty of things I dislike about Aloga. But he has never made a pretense of where his allegiances stand: with the Minmatar Republic. He did not wind up in Aegis Militia due to supporting the Empire; in fact, if I recall correctly, he refused to fire on Minmatar pilots during his tenure there. And since leaving, he has been one of the most forward and bravest capsuleer presences in Floseswin.

The issue I took with his oath was not the substance of it, nor with any belief that he would not stick to it. It was only that his display of the oath in this medium struck me as showy, especially given current circumstances.

To have wound up in Aegis Militia without support of their cause does not make him any more trustworthy, wherever he claims his loyalties lie. That decision shows him to be a creature of compromise, one who will act in opposition to his stated principles while still stating them.

I admire the generosity of your assessment Doctor, but as much courage as he possesses in battle. Aloga shows himself no more trustworthy than a simple turncoat, merely more complicated.

Your basis for calling him a turncoat appears simply to be that he used to be in Aegis Militia and now isn’t anymore. In the same post that contains his oath, Aloga clarifies his reasons for his prior membership. Whether one believes him or not, while he was in the alliance he made it clear that he did not ascribe to their beliefs and policies, and this was accepted by both Matari and Amarr loyalists (even if found distasteful by the latter).

Even if we were to accept your logic, that would only provide one instance of coat-turning, while in your post in the other thread you illustrated a habitual turncoat. Surely you weren’t embellishing?

And in case you need a reminder, at the time AM’s “recruitment” policies were open enough to warrant courting Sansha as well. Aloga’s hiring was hardly the most sensational news regarding them at the time.

1 Like