Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

That might be true from your perspective, Elsebeth, but it’s also precisely Roman’s point. The reason he, I think, drew the point of comparison is exactly this:

That is by design. Now, I’ll in no way impugn Nauplius’s ability as a pilot. Years of being an object of abject hatred almost well-nigh universally throughout the cluster have probably made him one of the better combat pilots in New Eden. Any Amarrian could feasibly say that the Republic is a clear and present danger to the existence of the Empire under the same basic principle, especially with this evidence. They could say that no pilot, especially a skilled pilot, should be turned away.

Yet that does beg the question, if Nauplius is of consequential import to the Empire, what then is the Empire at all? If Nauplius is a necessity to its survival, and Nauplius being… well, Nauplius, should the Empire be saved? It would have fallen far from God to be in such a position. Many would fight, kill, and die for the Empire, but for him? Everyone, almost every day, must make that decision.

Now, no one is saying it would be easy. Believe me, I think we’ve good cause to say as an alliance in Khimi Hirar that we’ve done a lot of things which we’ve neither liked nor thought good would come of based on a principle, that the Empire needs to be bigger and greater than a utilitarian weapon that we think will change back to something principled when all is said and done. And, even if others do not believe so to the same extent or by the same means we do, the well-night universal shunning of Nauplius, I think, indicates that a great many of us have a level of desperation we will not sink to. That unity at all costs is the path to weakness, that the strength of unity is only garnered if the purpose is pure.

And hence lies the dilemma. You believe the end of the Republic is coming, so perhaps it doesn’t matter. I do not agree; I’ve been privileged to see the length and breadth of the Republic in a way few Amarrians have because of the goodwill and generosity of many brave Matari souls who took a chance in treating with me. And it’s a place I don’t think is dying. You may not believe me, but ask yourself, if you pull together the miracle you must think is necessary and survive, and your legacy are these things which offend your morals and tastes are then integral to your Republic, would it truly survive at all? If the murder of civilians, a thing you abhor, is worth entreating into the Republic solely to position it for a political discussion about sanctions, is the Republic a place anymore, or a reciprocal device you wouldn’t tolerate were you not a part of it?

I like to think the Republic is a better place than that, and that it can survive as a better place than that. It must, for if it can’t survive as a place you’d feel morally comfortable with, it’s already dead, and you’re defending something I don’t think you’d want to die for.

1 Like