Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

The heck happened in this thread?

I’m too lazy to read everything. Pls spoonfeed me. I’m a baby. Baw wab bwabwab.

Oh, are you into age play? Got some spare diapers? Of course not, you are a baby! Yesh you are!

Let´s get you cleaned up.

1 Like

Gugu gaga

edit. I’m in tears that was great response holy ■■■■

@Alexandre_Arthie Help?

1 Like

I’d rather not go into detail given the the kind suggestions of powers-that-be that we cut it out, but… if you insist. I’ll try to keep it as short as possible.

You have this habit for taking things - and people - apart to see how they tick. Figuratively speaking, of course. Usually, you’re very careful, meticulous and considerate about it - the object or person being scrutinized might not even realize they’re being scrutinized. Some might even like it - it’s this talent for taking things apart to basics and connecting all the dots and logical chains together that I sought when I asked for your help with my work. You know the one. After all, if we know how things work, we might make them work better.

You’re also very reserved, try to maintain a cool head at all times and project an impression of an impassive observer. This makes sense - few attempts at applying the scientific method are meant with a emotional bias in mind.

Unfortunately, sometimes this armor fails you. You don’t want to believe it failed you, that your judgment might be clouded by emotion or irrational, short-sighted hostility. Or rather, you don’t want to believe that it failed you unintentionally - if something happens, it’s because you allowed it, realize it and can control it.

In this situation - it was exactly that loss of control. The frustration of dealing with Mizhara got to you, as it would to anyone, given how incredibly abrasive she was. A friend of mine in SFRIM had to deal with her spouting outright vile slander about them to the Directrix and they were far from her primary target. I can only imagine what she did to your mental well-being.

Everyone has a breaking point, and Thebeka was yours. Obviously, it went without you just snapping and shooting up everyone around you or anything, you’re not that kind of person. But one day you looked at Else and your “This person is interesting. What makes her tick?” subtly became “What makes her break?”

It was a little more complicated than that - EM’s participation in Thebeka lent fire to your argument and convictions, as it did to hers, this tit-for-tat carried on for quite some time and you’ve even admitted that this was colored by your personal frustrations. Even after you were done venting said frustrations, this corrupted foundation kept staining all your further interactions. Else and Arrendis found this hole in your armor of impartiality and kept exploiting it - probably while honestly believing that they’re alerting you to a fault in your own reasoning. The way they did it, however - well, I admit it’d be hard not to take it as a personal attack.

In the end, the two of you see that the other has something valuable to say. I think I can even see why - you are both rational actors. You have your own convictions, you might have red lines on which you will absolutely not budge, but you can be negotiated and compromised with - you’re worth talking to! Contrast with someone, like… well, I’m sure we all know a pilot who divides opinions into theirs and wrong ones. Or someone like Nauplius, who is divorced from this reality entirely.

But even if there is value in conversation, this kind of emotional baggage inevitably poisons it. Never mind that we’re still technically at war. One that only gets worse with each passing day.

I consider you a good friend, Aria, so please consider my honest advice to you - as fulfilling petty vengeance might feel in short term, this is not the road you want to take and I trust - I know - you’re a better person than that.

There’s nothing to be gained from making an interaction into a conflict, but much to lose from having it spiral out of control. Just… take a step back. There are plenty of other and more productive things to focus on - and this one can wait until we’ve all come to terms with the ghosts of Thebeka.

P.S. Yeah, “short”. This is why I never got A’s on any of my essays.

2 Likes

Ok, so, Aria… just so everyone’s on the same page here… when you say:

Do you realize that this carries with it a strong connotation that you think Else would murder every Amarr-loyalist she could get her hands on, if not for some unidentified condition that doesn’t let her?

I mean, I suppose it’s technically true that if not for the combination of things like laws, a conscience, the amount of effort involved, the expense of doing so, and, you know, the lack of any actual desire to go murdering people… but your phrasing basically sets up ‘if it wouldn’t be pointless to murder you, she’d totally do it’.

And do you get that that is… well, I don’t know how insulting Else finds it, so let’s say it’s somewhere between ‘kind of insulting’ and ‘amazingly insulting’. It feeds right into those ‘the Minmatar are all bloodthirsty savages who might as well be rabid slaver hounds with thumbs’ stereotypes.

Not casually throwing around insulting racial stereotypes used to demean and belittle people for centuries isn’t ‘catering to’ someone. In the past, you’ve said how much it means to you that people like Luna are ‘nice’ and how important you think a basic level of politeness is. And really, stars know I’m not gonna be the one sitting here saying everyone has to be polite, but as you’re the one who’s pushed that idea in the past, and taken me to task for being casually cruel… you might want to consider just how ‘casually cruel’ that kind of stereotyping is.

Just pointing that out because you want, you know… truth, and understanding.

2 Likes

Well, if it did, then it would be starting to be off-topic for off-topic, which, of course, would be completely on-topic.

Let’s keep in mind that this isn’t their thread, it’s Teinhyr’s, and an outgrowth of the original, which was made to corral exactly this kind of long conversation that tangents off from an earlier conversation. In fact, this is exactly what these threads are for. But that reminds me, I need to bump the Utari’s puppies thread so it doesn’t lock. That way when this one hits 10k posts, I can rename that to ‘The Once and Future Off-Topic Thread’ and we can just keep things contained in there again.

(I mean, we still have 1200 posts to go before we even catch up to the original OT thread, but, you know, long-term planning.)

I think it was more of a suggestion that this particular conversation has just gone on for too long. We have to consider the interests of other posters. What will Valerie Valate do if nobody notices her breakfast blogposting under all this?

(by the way, sausages are best with mustard. Ketchup is for savages.)

Other posters can feel free to post anything they’d like. It’s off-topic, after all. Going off-topic from the topic of off-topic would be perfectly on-topic. :smirk:

The best way to handle two-bit mendacious demagogues who purport to be neutral arbiters of truth, justice and the slaver way is to have no further discourse with them; just block them for four months at a time like I did.

There must be a certain cognitive dissonance in this kind of pontification, “This person is a terrible (insert term here) who has nothing of value to say. So, block them”. Given the frequency with which you march the line out, a lot of people must say things you’d rather they lacked a platform for.

which in itself would be off topic.

Thank you, ma’am.

Capsuleers are the epitome of Power, Strength and Respect in terms of abilities and mannerisms on an individual basis.

I guess Hun Tra is the exception.

1 Like

I’m pretty impressed you think that well of us, sir, considering your job.

HEEEY NOW.

I wasn’t the one who brought age play in this!!!

Everyone starts as a blank slate, in my eyes.

Everyone also has the ability to sour that view as well.

1 Like

With all this stuff going on, I almost forgot - I’d start your search with local online communities, there’s bound to be at least several.
They’re easier to stay incognito in. And you will want to stay incognito, at least for a while, since it’ll help people stay on topic of the game instead of going all “ooh, egger”.

3 Likes

and thus, on-topic!

Abilities maybe.

Mannerisms, I’m not sure about…

Thank you. Good advice.