Old Launcher Deprecated from 7 February 2024

Should still be available on the character select screen.

Why? Why do we need to ā€œclick, hold for green check, and releaseā€ to log in? Who comes up with ā€œinnovativeā€ crap like that? Simpleā€¦clickā€¦loginā€¦ it wasnā€™t broken, it didnā€™t need to be ā€œimprovedā€, and itā€™s NOT better.

3 Likes

You donā€™t need to hold. Just click the button and it should state ā€œGame client is runningā€

I noticed it was really slow to load and slow to update too.
Am I the only one having problems with eve-o-preview and the new launcher?

But with this new launcher and the ability to launch directly to character, why should any pertinent info be locked to the character select screen at all? Someone coming back after a long time wonā€™t know that the default is set to launch your toon directly; these are the guys who most need the warning of whether theyā€™re still docked or floating in space.

The new launcher was billed as a hub for character info, one of the big selling points was ā€œthe new launcher now includes many community-requested quality of life improvements.ā€ Iā€™m not personally seeing a whole lot of QOL improvements that affect me beyond the ability to resize the launcher and launching toons directly (which is problematic for returning players). It would be nice to see some launch-pertinent info on the launcher, rather than filling all the space with links to the website.

When I want to see the news or view patch notes I donā€™t bother opening the launcher, I go straight to the source. Devoting so much of the launcherā€™s real estate to CTAs that donā€™t involve opening the game feels a little disorienting; Iā€™m already subbed, you donā€™t need to keep selling me on edge case material like lore or new player tutorials that only a small portion of the player base find relevant.

Iā€™m opening the launcher because Iā€™ve already decided I want to play the game. Yes, there should be some CTAs highlighted on the launcher to entice me to spend more. There should be a section for recent news. I just wish the myriad of dissonant CTAs hadnā€™t taken such high precedence over providing relevant QOL launch information like whether or not the character youā€™re about to launch is still where and how you left him.

7 Likes

@Hyperionus_Iapetorii writes exactly my thoughts on the new launcher. The new launcher is a nice idea, not more.

The transition with steam on linux was nightmare. The settings restore didnā€™t work. @CCP_Arcade what is so hard for CCP to implement a proper settings backup/restore feature into the launcher ?

7 Likes

I switched to a new launcher back in December, and I was afraid that there would be problems with transferring my settings, but everything went smoothly. I was out of the game last night, everything was fine too. And now I tried to log into the game, and all windows have completely reset their settings to default. Iā€™m very angry and Iā€™m asking for help) Moreover, the old launcher loads the game with my settings, and the new one with the default ones. Pls help me)

1 Like

A weird issue that has been plaguing one of my corp buddies: When they use a launcher group to launch a set of characters, the client settings (windows, UI, etc) are correct and what they expect to see. If they launch chars individually, the launcher and/or client resets the settings to some factory default. This only happens for chars that are docked, not for chars in space.

1 Like

No to mention that these important information pieces were relegated to a minor spot in the launcher and completely pushed away by huge ad banners.

Simple: There is no reason, since the launcher already displays info like corp and alliance membership. And it does so in a wasteful way. If CCP condensed the display of that info, thereā€™d be a lot of space available for additional and much more valuable information, like docking status and current system. EVEMon can do it, so the launcher should do it, too.

I was dreading DT today, as I would be forced to update to the new launcher.

Guess what, no forced update. Am now happily logged in via Steam using old launcher.

Not sure if this is a case of Cannot Code Properly, or Cannot Communicate Properly.

Either way, trauma averted for now.

1 Like

Unsurprisingly, the Steam version didnā€™t get an update.

not only via steam.

Comedy Central Park

2 Likes

But the good news is that on the old launcher, the announcement that it was going to die, absolutely definitely, today, has been replaced with an enticing offer to give CCP more money for yet another set of ā€œnewā€ starter packsā€¦

1 Like

itā€™s on my launcher stillā€¦ and no, no update, nothing happens even after closing the game and launcher a few times huh

It is almost as if someone in marketing, realising the tsunami of ordure that bungled updates would cause, said, ā€œNOOOOOO!!!ā€

1 Like

Yes, this appears to be the case. Iā€™ve found the best work-around is to have a different profile for each character (under launch groups).

Well, I did see. I downloaded the new launcher, it didnā€™t reinstall the whole game, asked me where I want to install it, told it in my Steam folder, literally took two minutes or less, press-clicked on my account and the game launched. No problem whatsoever.
I see nothing wrong with the new launcher. Bravo CCP.

1 Like

my launcher did not autoupdateā€¦ its just me?

2 Likes

No, not just you. I tried Steam accounts and non-Steam ones, no update on any.

1 Like

Itā€™s not just you. Go to this page and click the big download button. Open the program from your Downloads folder, it will ask you where you want it installed