On the topic of discussion/ politeness and understanding

10 load $Drone
20 flyto $Bagdad
30 run script $bomb
40 go to 10

No. There is no debating with a 5 year old who keeps asking for a cookie, time and time again.

There are a whole bunch of people who after years of playing still have no understanding of the basic concept of the game, its game mechanics or something as (relatively) basic as a decent ship fit. They have not adapted or learned one iota. To play a game like this for so long and STILL not have the faintest understanding takes a level of laziness/terribleness that is just painful and depressing. You have to actively WANT to not learn or understand for that to happen. You need to be an 85 really, for that.

Compared to another game like World of Tanks, these are the 43% winrate players after 50k games, who failed their way to tier 10 and ■■■■ up every game you’re in with their uselessness.

Those people, time and time again, post/demand/whine about mechanics or changes that so obviously show they have zero understanding (again, after having played for so long which is depressing AF) and zero intent to be an active participant in this game&community. We’ve all seen and heard it before, it gets tiresome.

To use the WoT analogy again, these 43% clowns “teach” new players and infect them with their “knowledge” while they keep stating how their bad stats aren’t their own fault but it’s really just all bad teams, after 50k games. Those players come to the forums making statements about the game that so obviously are not factual or even logical and are so very obviously made to try to defend or augment their lazy/inactive play style.

They have the mind of a 5 year old who wants another cookie, they have the logic & reasoning of a 5 year old who wants another cookie and they’re as clueless as a 5 year old. Yet they’re grown up people, apparently capable of writing coherent posts and that makes it even more depressing.

If a 5 year old asks for the Nth time to get another cookie, you stop trying to be reasonable, explaining things, instead you treat them like a 5 year old they are and say “no”. And if they keep whining/posting/making dumb demands then at some point you send them to their room/tell them to get lost/unsub/go away/die (ingame).

If you want to be treated like an intelligent person, act like one. If you have shown to act pretty much like an NPC in the game, AFKing & clowning your way through years of playing to then come to the forums showcasing a glaring lack of understanding and intent to be an active participant in this PVP sandbox, don’t expect to get any leeway.

EVE is a meritocracy, that includes the forums.

2 Likes

So I guess I’m a bad parent for baking truly awful-tasting cookies as object lessons for my asshole kids…

How so with respect to the forums?

It’s extremely rare to have a civilized conversation on forums for most games. It’s not Eve specific, but the attacks tend to get a bit more personal on here. When folks try to start a general conversation, people quickly jump to a conclusion that you are flat out attacking their play style when in fact your only trying to start a conversation. If people don’t have anything to add then they should not respond.
I Just recently started posting myself,. I was reluctant because I saw the negative responses on other threads so I didn’t see much value in it. Conversations quickly devolves and then no one that matters will look at it anymore. But hey, if you don’t voice your opinions and just sit back and hope it gets better-there’s a good chance life will pass you by friend.

Just grab the bull by the horns and say what you need to say and ignore the hate. Try to turn negative commenters into positive ones by engaging them directly and politely. Some folks just knee jerk in a comment when they’re in a bad mood -it’s only human.

You seem like a compassionate person and you care about the game to want to promote a discussion about a topic that interests you.
Just do it. You will find people that want to have a mature discussion with you and most of us ignore that hate anyways. Life is too short to care about such things.

3 Likes

No, you’re just a parent. Kids are like cats that slowly gain the ability to talk. So, assholes.

1 Like

And three times your daily recommended intake of sodium.

2 Likes

Do you get your memes from your great aunt’s facebook page? Also your character looks like Ross from friends

3 Likes

YOU would like my older brother who is apx 80 now? He actually has an old mainframe from the 60’s in his cellar! The reel to reel type the size of a fridge. He said it’s only powerful enough to run his trainset! :rofl:

I ain’t that old, got a BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum, C64 and an Amiga 500 in the magical cupboard of stuff though, all work too.

3 Likes

There is such a thing, though the term describes an emotionally sensitive individual. Maybe he meant the fish, betta.

1 Like

Nailed It!
By Beta I was not referring to the emotional state but rather the tendency to follow rather than lead, to falsely claim rather than create original ideas, the pusillanimous, the milquetoast…
basically the opposite of Alpha.

Well, can you blame them for being betas then?

By that definition, most of the worlds population is beta. The big majority are followers, not leaders.

2 Likes

Except studies have shown that alphas and betas don’t exist the way you are thinking.
So… Yeah.

What those studies have found about people who claim to be alphas and label others as betas though…

3 Likes

Ethos being what it is, we humans are list-makers and enjoy ranking anything. But that’s beyond the scope of a gaming forum…I just pointed out that he was not wrong.

I make lists all the time

list

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.