On the topic of discussion/ politeness and understanding

If you don’t see the distinction between those two types of behavior, I’m not really sure how to respond. And while I absolutely DO NOT think games make people violent, I do think there is some utility to understanding why certain people do certain things in a game environment.

In other words, I do think people who truly are violent individuals enjoy games differently than others. I’m not claiming to have any insider knowledge here, this is just an opinion. Feel free to dismiss it. You do you.

2 Likes

I agree with what you say about attitude or motives which I even state in my guide, some people will do stuff in game because they are antisocial and to troll you but most just play the game intended, differentiate the two if you can and don’t let either get you down.

For example in Fallout 1 and 2 in some playthroughs I sometimes murder innocent bystanders to steal their stuff or just for the sake of it because it is different than RL, otherwise I only harm bad people, it is a role-playing game so just like in tabletop RPGs I am not shy to play a bad character. Do I do this because deep within my heart I want to take what others own IRL and would not be hesitant to murder them just for personal gain or just for the sake of it? Obviously not.

When you play a vid’ya game is like when you watch a Tom & Jerry cartoon, you can laugh and enjoy their suffering but only because you are always fully aware it is just a playful thing and is meant for fun, not because you have tendencies to enjoy when others are in pain and suffer. Of course that can happen in rare cases with some people and is something to consider, just like I express in my guide, but I think it is safe to assume most people can just simply differentiate reality from fiction and have fun with the negative things without being psychos in the process.

I myself would not gank rookies (am not a ganker though have no issue with the playstyle am just too lazy and not interested to constantly spend on fixing my sec status) on the other hand if someone goes to lowsec even if a rookie it is not just expected but somewhat mandatory to get shot no matter what one flies. Lowsec is like the dedicated chess tournament where everyone is expected to do their best.

Besides people use rookie ships for hauling sometimes billions worth of stuff (may it be RMT attempt or just a try to not get ganked as it is a rookie ship) is irrelevant, so the situation is not as simple as you envision, not only rookies fly corvettes.

On my main I steal COSMOS mission items for example and sometimes a few week old characters claim they can not afford a few dozen mils for the mission item when they fly 200 mil ships and stuff and obviously are not new and even if they would be they can still easily afford it. People claiming to be victims is most cases is just an excuse and an attempt to gain sympathy.

7 Likes

This is the problem. Everyone is capable of violence despite whether or not you would categorise them as “truly violent.”

Thinking you can determine the psychology of a player by how they interact in a fictional reality is ludicrous.

1 Like

I think that’s totally fair, and I appreciate the response. Even if we’re not on the same page exactly, we’re probably at least in the same chapter. Ugh, cheesy, but accurate.

As to your first sentence, I can’t really say I disagree based on the terminology I myself used. I suppose I was meaning more “violence for violence’s sake,” but I don’t have enough of a background in any of this to draw a meaningful distinction. We’re somewhere on the border of philosophy and psychology here.

I do disagree with your second sentence, but that’s a gut instinct opinion, not an informed one. If presented with some data that shows that there’s no significant correlation between the way an individual plays a game and their personality, I would eat all the crows.

2 Likes

People who capture those poor innocent victims in chess are kidnapping psychotic terrorists.

Violent games really have corrupted humans!

2 Likes

Ship combat is the core gameplay in EVE.
This is good.

please before computer games kings played king of the castle with real people, Humans are corrupt either way it don’t take a game to corrupt.

Do you know what satire is?

Because the person you replied to was using satire…

This is why there are no sapient aliens in New Eden.

The bad guys of EvE are us.

Even our immortality makes us closer to Greek gods, flaws and all.

—Very Human Gadget

2 Likes

LOL I remember this video. Ah the long list of CCP fails that get listed in this video are pretty embarrassing. As for the OP. I will let you in for a hint as an ORIGINAL 2003 player with many breaks. Eve started as a space game for fun. Turned into battles for fun .

Which then got serious and turned into ASSHOLES online which with its Massive time sink turned into Arrogant assholes online and then into BITTER arrogant assholes online. And now its Grumpy Bitter Arrogant Assholes online. (relax none of this is being pointed to anybody nor am I calling anybody in here these names).
SO it should be no surprise that you have people that come in here with a long laundry list of CCP did this and CCP did that. And now CCP is BDO (black desert online)!! I am sure that made somebody bitter as well.
The truth is EVE is designed to make you bitter and mad and take those narcissistic vengeance seeking emotions and turn it into a brilliant time sink where you will spend RL money to make yourself feel whole again. We get into groups of like minded people and then try to balance the wrongs against us either in social interactions or perceived space ship insults.

SO TL;DR mad people and elitist trolls post on forums to get tears to feed themselves. OR you get people that actually want to help you. Each time ya type is a dice roll. Wonder what kind of trolling this will get lol :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Andre, Andre, Andre- the kids are BAIT!!!

4 Likes

Is that the part of the movie where the great white slides outta the water to chomp on the attacker and worm it’s way back into the ocean? :sunglasses:

As far as being cruel in game, it’s not a problem for me. And I can be, I’m just usually to lazy and have more fun sneaking through an asteroid belt to ram you as to bother to kill you these days. It reflects in no way that in RL I am a different type of person. I actually help the elderly, kids etc, just cause of my upbringing. “In Game” is another story altogether. I think “most” people can make that difference. Those of you who cant should read my bio and seek help.

One of the “Old Crew” got on TS to chew the fat a couple years ago and he was going through old chat logs. When he repeated some of the things I said in local, just to piss off someone into making a mistake, I was surprised myself! I have become fuzzy. I hang my head in shame.

1 Like

–Gadget love the classics

4 Likes

ROFLMFingAO! If you could pull that one outta your hat, you must remember 5 1/2 inch floppy’s! Being old isn’t so bad sometimes! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Edit; And the fashion’s of the day! :rofl:

1 Like

Young whippersnappers.

An 8 inch floppy is where it’s at.

2 Likes

Pfff Winchester drives ftw. You can use one of those plates as a, rather deadly, frisbee.

1 Like

Punchcards, you embryos

2 Likes

you do know the US military still use 5 1/4 floppies right

They still use pirated copies of windows too. Sovereign immunity is their defence, you can’t sue the US gov’t without their permission.