[OOC] Moisant's Carnival and You

Okay, here are some OOC-ish links for those of y’all who (like me) appreciate getting a bit of a head-start setting-wise. Characters researching Moisant’s Carnival would find holos and resources very similar to these, but they would be tailored more toward EVE’s actual futuristic setting. (Think hover-floats instead of tractors.)

Parades:

Here is a video with highlights from the 2016 Endymion parade, including floats, bands, and other performers. The parade, which is one of New Orleans’s most popular ones, is put on by the Krewe of Endymion; for our fictional purposes, the storyline’s parade is run by Krewe Pay-per-view.

The parade will not be a ripoff of the Endymion one. (And I really imagine Krewe Pay-per-view to be more like the satirical Krewe d’Etat or Krewe du Vieux at any rate, but I couldn’t find any good recent videos of their parades.) But lots of things will be similar. Note the informality of folks greeting each other on the parade route; the elaborate costumes and masks; the way the crowds are bunched up on either side of the street; the general atmosphere of the parade.

I’ll also link another video of the bands themselves, here. This video was taken “Under da Bridge” at last year’s Krewe of Muses parade. In New Orleans, all of the Uptown parades go under this particular overpass, and it’s tradition for every marching band and other performing group (dancers, Baby Dolls, roller skaters, etc) to stop and perform here. I’ve made the same true in the story: in Moisant it’s tradition for these groups to stop and perform in front of the hotel, Bohio Cibucan. So characters will get to watch this sort of stuff from the balcony, or from the street if they like.

I recommend watching at least the first 7 minutes of the second video. You won’t regret it. (Okay, maybe you will.)

(Edit: The name “Krewe Pay-per-view” is meant to be satirical in itself. It’s not really pay-per-view. No fees. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes