Operation Magic School Bus Fund Raiser

Operation Magic School Bus will mark the its fifth year at the end of this month.

It flies through the career systems offering free fitted ships to new and young pilots (under 30 days) who speak up and dock up.

If you would like to help this initiative then contract isk, ships, what you can spare to Mike Azariah.

We all need to keep more rookies to be the targets and or fleetmates of tomorrow. This is how you can help.

m

18 Likes

Helping Rookies is always a great thing to do well done people’s

candy

1 Like

I know you do good work in-game.

Operation: Magic School Bus? Rookies must start really young these days.

1 Like

4 Likes

My main will be along shortly, in the next few days to drop a few billion isk to you

2 Likes

gotta love a fifth element reference

m

4 Likes

Congratulations on 5 years of helping new players get a good start in Eve, that’s very commendable and extremely impressive.

For years now I’ve had 200x Small Ancillary Current Router I rigs gathering dust in Rens VI - Moon 8 - Brutor Tribe Treasury station. I know it’s not much but new players usually have fitting problems due to low Power Grid Management skill, I’ve contracted them to you, hope it helps.

5 Likes

Donation made and congrats on five years! You do Bob’s work. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think this project is bad for new players. It is OK to gave them advice and help them understand. But handing out ships that completely dwarf what they could achieve on their own just reinforces the reluctance to go lose that ship. They have no way on their own to replace those ships.

Give a man a fish, etc etc…

2 Likes

Small gift send from me also.

4 years ago, when I was starting my EVE journey. Properly fitted gift from bus driver helped me to get started and enjoy first steps. Thanks for 5 years and keep doing good job.

2 Likes

You do great work ! Some Isk has been sent :wink:

3 Likes

contract it at your leisure

2 Likes

I totally understand this thinking but if I may make a rebuttal?

"Do not undock in a ship you cannot replace’ in a common mantra in eve. A free ship (for them) allows them the chance to undock, to take chances and hell maybe lose the ship and that will be ok, too. I have had players tell me they still have their Bus ship years later and others tell me it blew up soon after they got it.

But the thing is? Those players are STILL here to be able to tell me that.

Oh and I also Teach the fishing. I am in Rookie Help Chat whenever I am flying the Bus. CCP has determined that I cannot advertise the Bus in Rookie chat but I am there helping. (I have been since the This is Eve trailer came out and we saw that tidal wave of new comers).

As far as I am concerned the ship is not a fish, just a better pole. What they do with it . . .THAT is the fishing and the fish.

If you still disagree with what I do in the game that is fine. We all have different perspectives. You help the new players in your way and I will continue to help them in mine (Until I run out of assets)

m

11 Likes

It’ll be five-year-olds on I-pad variants gatecamping soon enough…

–Gadget calls the slide first

1 Like

Exactly.

If you teach a person how to fish, but they don’t have a fishing tool…
It does no good.

–Gadget prefers dynamite

4 Likes

Donation has been sent; keep up the good work! Newbros deserve all the help they can get in this cold, unforgiving universe of ours!

2 Likes

Fair enough

That is just a bad analogy though. The idea of the metafore is that if you learn to be self sustaining while receiving a oneoff gift will not do much in the long run. It may even hinder your motivation to become self sustaining, which is the core of my criticism.

If you think this ship is the pole that is exactly what I have a problem with, because it isn’t. Ships in EVE are consumables. They die and then you get a new one. They are always the fish and never the pole.

1 Like

What would these ships be?

1 Like

You don’t understand the concept of the bus then. My alt was a recipient of a ship courtesy of Mike. It was a corax. In the first 30 days, you can easily be skilled to roughly fly the corax or any dessie or other flavoring starter ship he drops. And they really aren’t expensive to get back if a noob loses.

1 Like

Part of it is also the positive interaction with other players on the game, many new players first interaction with other players is getting blown up whuch can make them dislike the game thinking everyone is out to get them. Having even 1 good experience with another player is more likely to keep them playing even if its a small gesture.

11 Likes