Opportunity to download updates partly

Good day!

I wanted to ask, is there any opportunity to download updates for eve partly. I mean that I, due to my work, have limited internet traffic and I want to download part of new patch for remaining traffic today and other part tomorrow, when my traffic will be updated. Is it possible somehow? Or if not, can this option be added to the launcher?

No game allows you to do that without being able to keep playing. Consoles allow you to pause updates but you cant play until the update is done. There isnt an option to keep playing without or to pause the updates

Except for EVE there is such an option. You just have to untick the box “download full client” in the launcher. I never unticked it, but it should do just that: only load resources that are required.

However in total it misses the goal of the OP to download the full patch which can’t be broken up.

Also i wonder what you would do if it is ticked for full download and your traffic has run out…once you start the client now it would download right away, giving you no chance to untick it before it does that.
Now i also don’t know what would happen in practice with your game data if you toggle that button around once in a while and i don’t intend on trying it.

I think this feature needs more explanation from FC and also be worked on to be more useful in all kinds of scenarios.

I knew unticking the full client thing, but my whole thinking was still, without an update being pushed through, he still wouldnt get to play and i think the updates are bigger if the client isnt fully downloaded

I could be wrong

Not sure I understand the question right, but if you have full download ticked you can’t start the client before full download finishes. At least not on a Mac you can’t. So if your data runs out you can’t finish download, can’t get into the game. And when you get your connection back next time, sometimes it starts full download from scratch, but sometimes there are certain parts it has remembered and will not have to download anew.

In this sense, there is a way to do it. Just cut your connection to the launcher in mid-download and next time it might have those parts saved. But it’s not a consistent way to do it, and you can’t log into the game when you’ve only partially downloaded the update.

I tried to stop downloading with internet disconnection, but it doesnt work. Its strange that in the launcher there is no pause button for download, cause already in all game launchers you have that option

We have at least two scenarios if you want to do not full downloads and play anyway.

Scenario A is the standard one for this - you have not ticket full download ever…it will only download resources as needed.

Scenario B is that you have ticked full download. Now a new day comes with new data. You suddenly decide you don’t want to have a full download, but you need to start the launcher that has the full download still ticked. So the launcher will start download right away. What will happen if you untick full download during the download? Will it stop the download?
Or do you have to always think about unticking full download before you close the launcher the day before as otherwise you can’t undo it.

Aside from all that i don’t know how download on demand actually works and is useful…or if you actually have the possibility to die ingame while it is buffering and you can’t do anything about it…

I also agree with @MrDem …it would be good to add download pausing to the launcher as well as a more elaborate patch management. The option to manually download a patch in a browser elsewhere as was possible before the launcher is needed - as well as local network patching…like getting the patch from a different EVE client in your network that already has the latest data to avoid having to use the internet again.

The whole concept needs to be reworked and updated.

I’m not sure, as I’ve never attempted to do it. But how I would go about it is this: offline my computer. Then open EVE launcher and untick ‘full download’ in the settings. Then quit the launcher. Put the computer back online and open the launcher.

I’m not gonna try this at home, since I always need full download and I don’t want to fiddle with that thing.

1 Like

Is it posaible to give somehow message about this problem to the developers? Because nowadays its wierd to have good launcher without option like a download pause button

Are you sure a pause would really help?
That download pause would just do that: pause the download. You will not be playing EVE that day.

If you want to play EVE you can go the route of the non-full download option and try that.

I would rather have two other options: a preview how much would be downloaded in the full download case and how much in the non-full download case (but be aware that it does download additional stuff as needed during gaming).
That info would be needed before the actual download starts so i can decide which route i choose that day. Both options would enable you to play EVE.

Additionally i want - as mentioned above - the ability for out of game downloading restored. So that i can go to a friends house or the office, download a patch to my USB drive and then patch my EVE without internet needed.

The ability that after that one EVE instance on one computer in my network can fetch patch data from another one in my local network would be luxury, but i could also very much also plug the USB drive there.

That is the main thing, that im not able to go to office or to visit friend for downloading due to my work. If I will untick full download option, then I will not be sure, that my traffic is used as usually during the gaming. And also for weak pc it can add some freezes during the entering to the next system or just completely freeze the game, as it was on my pc.

So thats why I need to update game completely and only then play it