Partner "ships" and Skins

To be honest, in almost every other game they would be correct to be angry. In EvE you can use ISK for these things if you don’t feel like using RL cash.

I think these angry folks are just forgetting this difference between EvE and other games. I know PLEX is bought in the first instance with RL cash, and as such when i use PLEX i purchased with ISK to buy a SKIN i am technically supporting another person to give CCP RL cash, but that is a very real definition that shouldn’t be ignored.

If a game that already charges a monthly fee, introduces mandatory (or essentially required for all intents and purposes) RL charges in addition to the subscription i would agree that it is a cash grab and “bad business”. EvE cleverly skirts this issue, and i think they do it well between ensuring all extra purchases are entirely optional, cosmetic and able to be bought with ISK also.

The fact that they are not taking the money out of your particular pocket doesn’t make it any less underhanded or shitty

There is nothing underhanded or shitty about offering somebody the chance to swap one kind of loot in a game for another. The only thing you’re annoyed about is that one kind of loot (PLEX) can be bought with real life money. The fact that PLEX is trade-able on the in game market means there is ZERO requirement on you to give RL cash for a skin, so stop pretending that’s what they’re doing to you.

It would only be underhanded if the items for sale for RL cash were in any way beneficial to you, or YOU could ONLY get them with RL cash.

yeah just like when EA lets you earn their micros in a game you paid for. At least they aren’t charging you monthly for it

Also I’m not sure how long you have been playing but the current tech they are using to make the skins was originally intended to be used by players to make personnel corp and alliance skins. Out of the blue they announced they were going to sell an initial set with a prototype build to “test reception” after they sold like hot cakes ccp went quite one the idea of players making their own skins.

A long time. Yeah i remember that also. Judging by the restrictions on things like alliance logo’s i think we can both safely assume CCP would HEAVILY restrict player created designs. This is assuming they ever even allowed it to happen, which again i think is quite obviously unlikely for the reasons given. I think in fact, they probably backed off from the idea when they imagined Avatars skinned to look like cocks, and anything Hello Kitty related.

Apparently you don’t remember them talking about it. The reason they wanted to design their own tech was so they could control what came into the game. Without needing to screen it.

It was set up with only asceticly matching colors and patterns available. They said it was just about ready to be realised they just needed to tweek a few more things. Then they realised how much they could make off it and knew no one would buy a skin if they could just make it free

Yes, lets assume that the only possible reason is that they are greedy bastards. That’s fair.

There couldn’t possibly be any technical or other unknown reasons why they made that decisions. I mean, after all, if you - random player - can’t think of a valid reason surely they don’t exist.

CCP is well known for aiming for extremely optimistic ideas, and not being afraid to discuss those with their players, only to later realize that implementing them is not realistic. (This I understand, being a developer myself.)

I can easily imagine that a never-ending list of custom ship skins could cause issues with performance, especially during fleet engagements or in busy systems. Perhaps that contributed to their decisions. Scaling the feature back to only allow a set number of pre-loaded skins could have solved such an issue.

Except everytime it simply became unrealistic they told us. This time they just went quiet

So you’re telling me that rather than just charge (more) for the custom ones too, they just didn’t bother with them. That doesn’t fit well with your money grab narative.

Would have a much harder time silly suddenly telling people that they would have to pay for the privilege of making skins for their player base. As opposed to telling them that they are paying so they can hire artists to make them. And hoping people just don’t think about how they could have been making their own

Can you link that?

I think your response wasn’t clear enough in regards to what kind of items you were referring too. I will refer to the community guidelines and request that you refrain from vulgarities in this particular forums. If you cannot come up with an adequate response and choose to shrug aside I don’t feel like I need to answer any further comments from you. You would do well to remember that only frustrated individuals who are on the defensive resort to tactics such as yours. If you feel like you were loosing some sort of argument you should just disengage. Your hostility is unwarranted, and your feedback is just going to be swept under the rug as a person who could have defended their point, but instead has chosen to flame. Again, we have r/eve for that. If you would like to continue to dump salt, feel free. But nobody will hear you over the sound of me swapping between my KFC SKIN and Starbucks SKIN on my Tengu.

I’m in 4-GB come by sometime if you’d like to take a break from high-sec sometime. Or having corp members getting owned by NPCS.

@CCP_Falcon please lock this thread as I cannot see this continuing in any constructive manner. I think any points and counter points that could be constructive have been touched upon already. And at this point people are just doing the typical cherry picking of one statement or another. And instead of being constructive are being very destructive.

destructing an idea is just as important as constructing. the idea that criticisms need to be constructive is something grade school teachers tell their children because they don’t want to deal with a fight.

That isn’t true really. Constructive criticism doesn’t mean it’s “nice” or avoids saying difficult things, it just means there is some basis to the criticism that the recipient might be able to utilize to further extrapolate the issue.

You can be as rude as you like, as long as you add useful information information other than “this is bad” etc. The phrase constructive criticism has been bastardized to an extent by people who are too weak to hear negative things unless they’re wrapped in 6 inches of bubble-wrap.

constructive needs to build not that there is nothing to base it on. that would be baseless criticism. destructive simply points out an issue with no added advice on how to improve

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.