Pay-to-win

Okay, I am so against P2W mechanics that I include a no P2W thingy in every post I make, and have even made a video about it.
No P2W

Needless to say, I haven’t exactly been a fan of CCP’s recent monetization efforts. However, that does not mean that Eve is P2W. You see, P2W isn’t a dichotomy, but a spectrum. Yes, at the ends of the spectrum, you can find games that either require spending real world money in order to be competitive, or games that give you absolutely no advantage for spending real world money. However, most games fall somewhere in-between. In fact, I firmly assert that Eve is still very much a skill based game. This, combined with the full loot death mechanic, ensures that those that try to microtransaction their way to success are met with failure and frustration. Indeed, you can find threads with people complaining about that.

But if Eve isn’t P2W, that begs the question -why do you think it is? Well, we have a few options.

• You’re a P2W purist who is vehemently opposed to even the slightest wiff of a P2W mechanic.
  • You’ve been listening to idiot bitter vets who have been filling your head with non-sense and poisoning your morale.
  • You don’t know enough about the game, and are making incorrect assumptions.
  • You do know enough about the game, but are blinded by motivated reasoning. Indeed, many gamers will blame anything and everything before they accept any responsibility for their own failures. They will blame their enemies, their allies, the devs, mechanics/balance, botters -you name it. Doesn’t really matter as long as they can shift the blame away from themselves.

Acurate Take

I won’t presume to tell you which category you fall into, but I do know this much. Eve isn’t P2W… well, not yet, at any rate.
No P2W

9 Likes