Peace in our time

Having lived among and fought beside the Minmatar, I have come to the conclusion that they would benefit greatly from the discipline and structure that would be imposed upon them by a Reclaiming, as the Ni-Kunni have.

You are not helping.

I genuinely mean it. Prosperity was brought to the Khanid and Ni-Kunni by allying themselves to the Holy Amarr Empire.

The Minmatar rebelled and regained their “freedom”, but for what? You have the highest suicide and crime rates in the cluster, the highest poverty and communicable disease rates, many of your planets are environmental disasters, and your people are emigrating in droves to the Gallente Federation or the fringes of traversible space.

Your government is a mess and full of tribal squabbling and in-fighting, you have disgusting levels of police brutality, and you have no respect for authority or civil society - remember when the Minmatar attacked and destroyed a CONCORD outpost, killing thousands?

No, the Minmatar would benefit greatly from falling under the dominion of the Amarr.

I know you genuinely meant it.

I think you fail to understand though that the one thing that most definitely makes lasting peace in our time impossible is the Minmatar belief that no matter how much some Amarr talk about peace, there will always be those who will simply go for “let’s conquer them and be done with it”.

This means that from our - that is, the Minmatar - point of view any peace is temporary, and that means any peace is strategic in nature. And currently, unfortunately, unlike say 20 years ago, the situation is such that if we are to have a hot war anyway, strategically we would be better off escalating as soon as possible.

So while your opinion is well-meant, it is also, in effect, a pro-war one.

Peace is one of those situations where the sides involved in conflict have to settle for less than what is desired.

Of course, who wants to settle for less? That’s what war is for!

Then usually after enough blood and life lost it ends up with settling for less.

Such follies we can embark on, however, it seems to me not enough death and destruction for peace to reign yet.

Not if the Minmatar surrender willingly.

But that will not happen. You might think it would be wise, and wish it to happen, but I think it is pretty clear after the past 1000 or so years that it will not happen.

Just like if the Amarr said that military Reclaiming is off the table, it would be a question of time only when it was back on it, it would also simply be a question of time until the next Great Rebellion if our government decided to surrender now. And I guess in our case it would be a very, very short time, because I doubt many of us would accept those orders as legal.

(I mean, they won’t, so Shakorites need not get indignant, I am not implying anything here. Just hypothetically, even if they did, it would not bring peace.)

1 Like

Perhaps peace is just not in the psychophysiological makeup of the Minmatar. When you’re not committing terrorist attacks on innocent Amarrian civilians or blowing up CONCORD stations, you’re murdering and raping each other en masse.

And here I thought for a moment I was having a reasonable discussion with an educated person.

See, @Aldrith_Shutaq - this is why we cannot have nice things.

Resorting to insults I see. Maybe that’s why the Minmatar can’t have nice things.

Don’t look at me. I’ve already told you those who actually wish to invade are a minority in the leadership castes. Of course, plenty of commoners think we can win, but they do not exactly matter, do they?

With respect, you started the insults with your “murdering and raping each other”.

Violence rates are not any higher in the Republic than they are elsewhere - if you take into account the violence inherent in keeping slaves, they are probably much, much lower than in the Empire, though of course hard to say because you people do not even bother to keep books on that stuff, but consider it normal to beat people if they do not work for you or force them into your beds just because you happened to be born a lordling.

According to historians, one of the reasons the Amarr conquered us in the first place was that as a civilization that had managed to in practice end intra-tribal warfare and so was almost completely unprepared to the barbarism of full-out war.

If we are uncivilized enough now to wage war, it is because you taught us to be. And now you want to solve it by more of the same?

2 Likes

They do matter for the problem I described above; this kind of talk proves (or “proves”) the fact that no matter what whoever is in power now says, the pro-conquest mindset will always be there, and will have to be accounted for in any plans we make, because as long as it is there, it might seize power any time.

We do not have the luxury an Amarr noble has to dismiss it as “just talk”.

Strange, you seem to have mistook me for an Amarrian. Last I checked, Caldari Navy testing confirmed my heritage is 100% Achuran. This is a matter of public record.

Empty rhetoric. Look to the Empire’s actions for the true attitude. Not a single offensive act against the Republic since the Yulai Accords were signed. Yes, I am aware of small-scale illegal slaving, and I do not count them in the same way I do not count small-scale Minmatar raiding in the Empire. It happens, but is under control.

Meanwhile, on the Minmatar side we’ve had the Vindication Wars, Defiants, Elder Fleet, a few major acts of terror and concerted aid to rebellions in our territory. The next step towards a lasting peace lies in Minmatar hands, yet these incidents seem to just keep happening.

1 Like

I apologize for the assumption. You speak like one.

Achurans seem to really have a thing for supporting the Empire and outward displays of racism on the IGS.

It’s really weird.

3 Likes

You provided the answer yourself:

It’s because the Empire fought the war by proxy. Why expend Imperial lives, when you can pit former brothers and sisters against each other?

1 Like

I support the Caldari State and it’s allies. This is my prerogative as an independent capsuleer.

As far as racism, I deny such aspersions. The Minmatar are not a heterogeneous group. They are a “nation” (for lack of a better term) comprised of many squabbling tribal identities.

You do not really seem to understand my point.

But I guess it does not matter, in the grand scheme of things.