Petition for Real Problems inGame

No, that is very typical wages in the US for anyone after school. People think it is so easy to find well paid work in the states, it is not. Wages in my state start around $11 per hour and you won’t find 1 job doing 40 hours a week. I am clerking at a gas station convenance store. I can’t get more than 32 hours per week. We are “at will” employees and they can fire us without any cause. My rent is $450 per month on a tiny apartment. It is one room in a house that was converted into apartments. The room has been subdivided into bedroom/bathroom with a kitchenette. Other bills I pay are my cell phone/internet, food, electric, and gas. I have a bike, cannot afford a car. Cars cost more than payments and fuel, they want $650 mandatory insurance ( yes more than my rent ) plates for 1 year vary due to vehicle description. I have a PC that cost me a lot by saving up. Since I am just above poverty level, I cannot apply for government assistance programs, but I do visit the local food panty once a month for a small box of groceries.

Free education ends after high school, I cannot get grants, loans, etc. to attend college. The current administration has a no free education policy. My choices at this point is to work 2 jobs and hope they don’t overlap. I could join the military and serve in the war. I can save up for a car and leave, but I seriously doubt the grass is greener elsewhere.

Sorry to derail the topic, seems like it got derailed a while ago.

1 Like

You think most or even 10% of the people in the US make 10k+ a month? I mean, I know you didn’t say it, but the way you assume a random person on the internet who is from the US makes that kind of money sounds ridiculous to me.

2 Likes

I go back as far as Team Fortress and Counterstrike…and the market for PvP games was ( and still is ) huge. Counterstrike can currently muster all-tme high concurrency of 1.8 million users. Fifty times that of EVE.

So the very idea that there’s some ‘new player mindset’ of people who don’t like PvP is simply wrong.

PvE stances have always seemed bizarre to me. A solo PvE-er spending their time fighting NPCs…why are they even in a massive multiplayer game for that ? Why pay a subscription to do what you can do in a stand-alone game ? And those PvE-ers who do team up with others…they clearly don’t mind playing with other real people…so why the objection to playing against other real people ? Or is it just that NPCs are easier to defeat and nothing like as crafty as real people.

If i had a dime for every time i read this statement.

In my older age and much more casual way of playing these type games, i can only explain it the same way ive always have when that rather common question is asked.

The mmo label is not the rule. It only labels the game as having other players in it. There is no…nor has there ever been a requirement to play with the other folks that are there with me. Thats the choice of the player…a choice thats necessary, a choice thats very important. Its their money and theyll spend it the way they see fit for the entertainment they desire.

Its also the fact that even when script operated opponents are being mingled with, its knowing that the real players are in existence in the game your in. Exploring about and occasionally running into or passing by real players is part of the experience. It seems weird to some, but its satisfying to others. A stand alone game wont deliver that.

Theres many facets to this subject but this is the gist of it.

3 Likes

People are dating AI girlfriends/boyfriends now. Anybody who thinks that’s normal should get their own head checked at the doctor’s. And it’s all for the same reasons – fear and anxiety in social situations (I personally don’t agree PVP in an online environment is a direct social situation, but I’ll leave that for another time), inability to communicate with people, poor social skills, fear of rejection, and just general incapability of handling new and unpredictable environments. PVE content is safe and predictable. Shouldn’t be underestimated just how much of a coward an average person is (I know I’m being harsh, but so be it). And they are the majority.

People’s social skills and the ability to communicate with other people have greatly atrophied nowadays. This isn’t even funny anymore. It’s very serious. It has direct consequences for all situations in life, including entertainment (in this case, video games). If they can’t even talk to another person you expect them to engage with an effigy of a person online? They will run from real interaction. NPCs are a great alternative to this – they will give off an impression of interaction while grounding all the risk that might come from the real thing.

^it was depressing to even write this stuff, by the way. But that is what’s going on.

2 Likes

No, not making assumptions or judgements. Probably would have written the same thing if 8k, 10k, or 20k was listed. Maybe just a little surprised.

Being originally from the USA (near Boston), I know what the cost of living and job market is. I’ve worked at several manufacturing companies when I’ve known several full time college students working off-shift as manufacturing associates. In the area I’m from, the starting salary for these rolls was from 35 to 40k a year and they offer tuition reimbursement. So just a little surprised

I climb mountains - I don’t do PvP. If you will go climbing with me, I’ll do some PvP with you. Agreed?

2 Likes

I will. Just tell me when and where.

1 Like

I started EVE in 08, have no clue what

means? We ran a BF 42 server before that.

I did hardly any pve until 2014 after half the players left. I was forced into it. :roll_eyes: So how does your statement have anything to do with what I said?

That’s one of the better paying areas though, most of the US still use $7.25 as minimum wage (less if tipped) and don’t have a higher local minimum wage. And corporations very rarely offer higher and raises are literally nickels and dimes.

A fledgling engineer will probably be more priviledged in that respect. Engineers are in high demand and they have one of the best-paying jobs of all no matter what country you’re looking at. Even then, 10k a month is probably only for those who do large priority projects like complex overpasses, major bridges, etc.

A regular proletarian does not get the same treatment. If most people in the US made 10k a month then there wouldn’t be a lot of problems people would have.

Your invention of a ‘new player mindset’. I don’t think any such thing exists. Its more that if you build roads…people will use them. Players didn’t demand easier games…developers created them. They dumbed down the complexity of Morrowind to create Oblivion, for example.

I don’t want easier games. I’d rather find my level in a complex and difficult game and not be able to go further, than have it all made easier so I can ‘succeed’.

1 Like

Okay, you’re loosing me a little here.

  1. I never stated that I think most people in the USA make over $10k a month. My comment was intended to reflect that I was surprised at the $18,600 a year figure. In fact, it is really easy to go online and see the median incomes for pretty much any where no the planet. For example, where I was from, the median household income is just over $138,000 a year. That’s, household, not individual.
  2. While a Manufacturing Associate MIGHT be an aspiring engineer, it certainly isn’t a requirement. A manufacturing associate is a general labor position at a manufacturing facility. Generally, a high school diploma is all that’s required. Maybe the tuition reimbursement statement threw you off, that’s just a benefit for the job.
  3. When I was working, I have had several engineering roles at manufacturing facilities. I can pretty much say with certainty that nobody is going to ask me to design or build a bridge. I believe you a picturing a civil engineer. While they are both engineering positions they are very different. In fact, if I ever happen to build a bridge, please don’t use it. It will not be safe…
1 Like

“If you build it, they will come.” That’s your answer? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I placed a Raitaru in a wormhole and an Astrahus in Kakaleka. Lost the one in the wormhole to space pirates and traded the other after I took it back down. Don’t be telling me what I did or didn’t do mister!

Have fun!

But you never anchored any stations in the game, as that’s impossible. He corrected your misuse of terminology. ‘Station’ in EVE refers to NPC-operated space structures. Players cannot anchor, own, or otherwise operate a ‘station’ in the game. They can only dock in them, and use the services available.

Those things that players can operate are called ‘structures’. Or more specifically ‘player-operated-structures’, if you will. They are the citadels, engineering complexes, refineries, POSes, and a number of small deployables.

If you don’t want players to misunderstand you, better use the correct terminology.

1 Like

@Geo_Eclipse_Oksaras I get that these details matter to you, but it can start to feel like you’re more focused on the wording than the actual point. When there’s always a correction, it’s hard for me to feel like the message I’m trying to communicate is being heard.

I’m happy to clarify terms when there’s a genuine misunderstanding, but your constant nitpicking makes conversations less productive and more stressful for all of us. If you think a term is truly wrong in such a way that changes the meaning of what I said, don’t make it sound like I am being called a liar, can we prioritize the intent behind what I’m saying?

I can take corrections that improve our mutual understanding, and I’d like you to aim your feedback at the substance, rather than every phrasing detail. That way we can have discussions that move forward instead of getting stuck on wording.

Have fun!

1 Like

Yeah, why differentiate between a train and a car? They’re both vehicles. Or why even more specifically differentiate between different car brands like Chevrolet and Dodge? All cars. All just vehicles at the end of the day. Right?

Let’s just throw the rich human language that has evolved over the centuries to be more specific and variable, to provide us with more and more exact and precise ways to express ourselves out the window and go back to grunting like cave men. So useful.

I don’t get why an educated person living in the 21st century has an issue learning to differentiate a few terms they come in contact with on a weekly basis.

@Malcoy_Tweedhouse you are 100% correct, I make a lot less than you do. I am speaking of my disability retirement check of $1100 per month, which is below poverty level. If it were not for 2 things, I would be like other senior citizens living in a shoebox.

I got some stock from my father’s estate, after he passed, I cashed it out, and invested it into an apartment building. My husband has good income for the next 3 years then he can retire and collect a tiny bit more than my check. Assuming some moron doesn’t shut down social security, before then, we will be fine.

If you recalculate what I said, 15% of 1100 per month is $165 for my monthly budget. I have yet to spend one thin dime on Eve and yet I still can enjoy the game.

Have fun!

1 Like

If FC does another renaming such as they did with the asteroids, they might be renamed Station Type 1, Station Type 2, Station Type 3, Station Type 4, etc..

By the way, there is no difference between a Ford, Chevy, or a Dodge. They are all cars and vehicles at the end of the day. Unless you are some motorhead that says, Ford stands for, Found On Road Dead the best vehicle made by the hand of God is a Chevy.

Have fun!