Photon UI - Compact Mode on TQ Feedback thread

Clunky, awkward, pretty sure having so many clicks between closing windows or really any kind of window manipulation is just going to result in silly losses and bad feelings.

1 Like

Where did passive/aggressive/focus fire go?

The above mentioned issues STILL exist. NOTHING has been improved or fixed. Why do we even give feedback on this stupid UI ?!
I mentioned beforhand, that it does look nice, but has a few issues and thus isn’t usable. Nothing has changed. So why are you now forcing it on all of us?! The longer these issues remain, the more i hate the UI. As soon as Opt-Out finishes, I’m absolutely done with this game, because it’ll become unplayable.

Windows, buttons and writing are still overlapping and buttons often can’t be clicked and text can’t be read. Not on a few windows, but EVERYWHERE. Are you expecting people to have 4 8K monitors to play the game or why is there so much space being wasted?! With the new UI in the inventory for example, insted of 5 elements in a row (old UI) I only see 3 elements in a row (photon). And I have no chance of fixing it, without the inventory being way too big to play.

Edit: Why does the ingame link lead us to a closed thread, which leads to another closed thread, which finally leads us to this one?!

3 Likes

That is completely unreadable and yet they forge ahead with this UI. Are they even listening?

1 Like

Why are window titles not removed in compact mode?

could save more space than actually removing important information :3

I think people using compact mode care about screenspace. Maybe they are playing on a laptop with a small screen with like 720p and you really don’t need those window titles as an experienced player. You will be able to see what is DScan and what’s your fleet Window or Inventory :smiley:

1 Like

It feels far better than what I’ve experienced for the first time. I’d stick to this new UI, but you have more to fix:

• Low Visibility HUD: Colors lost chroma and letters got stealth. The HUD on the upper-left became dull gray overall, making harder to recognize outer space. Tiny shadow-like effect was added to reinforce readability; does a bit with (not so) white letters, but for washed-out red letters it’s even worse.
    Other UI text such as damage readouts retain its color, only the HUD on the left took the Commodore palette, how strange.
  • Blurry Project Discovery: Bio samples blurred, plus losing colors.
  • Buggy Locked Items: While many got grayed, the one that should be gray didn’t. Locked items in secure containers have their icons transparent, but when I select any content the locked items have their icons changed like normal unlocked ones.
    Of course those items are still locked and padlock icons, though very small, are still there; just a visual glitch never seen before.
  • Glitched Skill Progression on Neocom: Skill progression graph gets messy on the narrowest sidebar. I don’t get the point of a four-direction arrow thing on the donut graph.
  • Locked Window Getting Out of Bounds: Love the compact chat window in Photon. Placing on the rightmost side of the screen, I get less trash talks and more locals. When I tried to set member list section wider than the chat window itself, the entire chat gets wider to the right regardless of whether it’s locked. For locked window this can be a problem, because the options button on the top-right corner can get out of bounds and I can’t control the window anymore since it’s locked.
2 Likes

Overall looks good but so called compact mode lacks features that the already smaller old ui had and so Basically not ready yet - I am also annoyed a beta was made opt in (I had tried it already and found it not ready - now forced to try again and it still isn’t ready)

Things I like:

• You can completely hide local chat and only see the member list

Things I dislike:

• There’s tons of extra, unnecessary padding on windows, especially on the Overview and Selected Item windows
  • Compact list in chat could be more compact, see above.
  • Text rendering glitches in ship names in the hangar

I gave the new UI a try for a couple of days after returning. I ended up treating it like I do the radial menu. I put it in the closet and forgot about it. The overall design looks pretty, I guess, but the old UI is still more efficient and a better use of my screens real-estate. The sizing & padding need work, and everything already stated above.

Sorry DEV’s but it’s true. SHRUGS**

1 Like

Returned to game and discovered this.
Well, Photon UI has some aesthetic appeal and general air of belonging to a universe like EVE, but is way too clumsy to be useful. Paddings and stuff are waay to large, I’m used to my windows containing more information and buttons per cm2 (yes I’ve reverted things I’ve previously set to compact to a compact state again).
Also, the gentle highlight of windows with new stuff (like chats with unread messages or active windows) in the old version looks much much prettier than new Metro style trash (I hate where MS design team goes in the recent decade, please don’t follow)

2 Likes

Ok, enough with the backward UI changes. Why were the controls on the Wallet moved to the bottom? This creates very much unwanted mouse-movement and eye-movement on a much-used window. There’s plenty of room on the top of this window to have the controls sensibly placed for frequent use. That’s where they’ve been for nearly 2 decades, and they were perfectly positioned up there.

Try creating multiple orders from multiple wallets and see how painful the new layout is.

Please move the controls on the wallet back to the top of the window - or at least let use have a button to toggle this.

This Photon UI philosophy might look nice, but from a user point of view it’s very much a step backwards.

2 Likes

And while I’m at it, maybe the feedback I gave in the general thread belongs better in here…

TLDR; There is no “close” button on the compact windows - we have to go to a submenu to close the window - every single time. Photon UI really is a step backwards IMHO.

Inventory compact mode could use a loot all button

@CCP_Paragon - Is anyone at the UI team even reading this feedback?

3 Likes

looks like they give a fvck.

They read it and they act on it in some ways. See the slightly condensed Skin cards and slightly enlarged Skin icons. However, it is really hard to figure out why they do things in a way first, then see feedback and then only partially take this feedback into account to partially reduce the severity of an issue without making the feature really better.

It would really help if they explained their actions more. Not a detailed dev blog for every step they take, of course. However, in this example with the Skin cards I would be very interested in why they think that we need so much empty space in an UI feature that is supposed to display their most revenue generating beauties. Not even an Apple Store has that much empty space. Understanding the rationale behind the decisions would help to reduce unnecessary stress and frustration on both sides, and help both sides to come up with better solutions.

4 Likes

I play in a gaming laptop 17’ screen and screen size is a valuable resource.

1. The window with the buttons to warp, lock etc. The old one when you resize them you got larger smaller buttons. This is needed and don’t work anymore.
  2. The contextual menu for warp / orbit, now you can’t click to open the menu, the click is the default, this is worse than before. You can’t open a menu reliably and there is already buttons with the default orbit, warp distance…
  3. Every window should not have a minimun size, I see a lot of windows which minimun size force me to have in screnn information I don’t need. And I’d preffer to get that space for the 3d view of the game. Example the local location windows.
5 Likes

Your wasting your breath, they think some UI developer they hired who has zero actual skills can design a UI to replace a UI that has been battle tested for 20 years. It’s more new bro developer bull. As an older wiser developer it really ticks me off when young inexperienced developers think they can improve on what is known to work. Put in the years and shut up.

7 Likes

I have noticed it creates an additional load on FPS when you go back to default UI the load is back to normal. All this is a fancy way to do the same thing, instead of simplicity. Its larger in scale, takes more room on screen then the default UI.

Business, has a curve and you’re on the downside, Faction Warfare has went from simple to WTF is going on overnight, its a meta game best for alts.

Having Alpha accounts all it does is make it great for seeding wormholes, Null, LS systems. Basically Intel spies.

1 Like

In my opinion the “Compact Mode” is not delivering what players need.
It is hiding useful buttons like the “X” to close windows, with marginal to no space gains, while what it should do is drastically reduce the lines spacers to almost none

7 Likes