Photon UI - Compact Mode on TQ Feedback thread

I am not seeing a way to set my station buttons back to “large” buttons for the station services, am I just missing something?

I think it depends on the width of the side panel

What I am talking about specifically was under general settings I believe in the old UI there was a checkbox you could click that would enlarge the station services buttons. I do not see this in the new UI and wondered if it had been moved elsewhere

1 Like

The two ELEPHANTS in the room

When you have the Station Services Window open and stretched horizontally, which you typically will do if you’re wanting to see the contents of your Hangar, the menu at the top forces a massive amount of wasted space.

If keeping things C O M P A C T is really an aim of the redesign then what is keeping you from having a compact design or horizontal layout for the Station Services Window

4 Likes

This ^

1 Like

That is so awesome!

1 Like

Photon UI is utter garbage compared to the normal UI, even in compact mode

-Even in compact mode there is too much padding everywhere and UI elements are too big, resulting in much lower information density

-Even in compact mode it takes too much screen real state

-Looks like a shitty smartphone/tablet UI. Those are designed for fat fingers and make absolutely no sense when you are using mouse and keyboard that are so much more accurate and precise

-The previous font is much more readable even on smaller sizes

Nobody has any complaints with the current UI as far as I know, it’s great as it is. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

By the way, the current skill interface is also disgusting, vastly inferior to the previous one. Again, it needs too much screen real state. It would be better if you could add the new functions like skill plans to the old UI

And also by the way, the new map is fairly good but it has a fatal flaw. If you look for pilots docked/in space the dot size seem to take Jita as a reference so they are small everywhere and don’t provide with any useful information. They should instead compare to the region/constellation or have static values

7 Likes

I don’t know but this UI seems more like a troll. They can’t possibly think this a good idea. It must be some sort of troll test to enrage players.

3 Likes

If this is true and the circle is relative to Kita, then that is problematic

Something that is annoying is that the fleet window’s burger menu is now on the far right and right next to the minimize button. It’s annoying af.

1 Like

This please

1 Like

Why is this new ui mandatory now when it has so many problems? It’s terrible. Can’t we just use the old one until you figure it out?

2 Likes

Could we please also get compact versions of the New Location (bookmark) and Station Services windows?

The BM window isn’t a priority, its bulkiness is just somewhat grating. From L to R, current window, old window, quick & dirty compact edit:

The Station Services one is more pressing as a usability matter since I’m one of the weirdos who added hangars/items to said window (In General Settings). Since I have chats positioned below this window, vertical real estate is especially valuable to me there (so I can see hulls). Current left, proposed compact right:

I don’t need the buttons to be quite as beefy as they are. :upside_down_face:

How does that compact station services window work when people have it narrow? I only use that window for guests an agents, and the very occasional rent of an office. I use the separate inventory window for hangars, so my station services window is very narrow and would not accommodate the buttons on the right.

I assume it could be responsive in some way, so maybe the simple solution would be that the buttons appearing on the right wouldn’t be part of compact mode, but rather how it appears beyond a certain width.

Yeah, the buttons could be made to only move up & right like that on either the normal or the compact version. Kinda ambiguous which should be which, since one’s more vertically compact and the other’s more horizontally compact…

:thinking:

Since the thread is still open, just thought I’d stop by to say thank you to the dev team for fixing some of the most egregious items, including several that were on my list in my previous post. I can search my inventory again in compact mode! Yes!

I realize that the team has probably moved on to other priorities by now, but while I’m here I can’t help but flog the horse for the one change I mentioned that I really wanted and still want to see - the location window, one of my most used windows in the game.

Location window
Issue 1: The Photon button placement on the lower bar of the pane. In a small window such as this, losing two lines of usable information is a ~40% loss for me (5 → 3). That on top of the new clickable pop-out local header and my empty personal bookmarks folder (I use corp/shared bookmarks exclusively) makes it more like 7 → 3 without scrolling every character every login, and I use this ALL the time such that it is always active on my screen. I can’t be alone in this.

Suggestion: Move the three small buttons up to the subheading of the location window, along with it’s subtabs. This saves precious screen real estate and still allows for the buttons you want. So long as it remains a dockable window, you can make this config a compact mode for the Location window and leave the other one alone should that make this more palatable, since one doesn’t currently exist. See mock-up below.

Issue 2: Photon removed the ability to search directly from the parent Location window and moved that functionality to a sub-tab that must be clicked for every search. It also lost the ability to search across all classes of items and now only searches systems and stations, which I imagine was done to reduce the impact of database queries. That’s fair enough.

Suggestion: Leave the search scope restricted to locations only to keep the hamsters happy, but allow searching of locations without having to click into a tab every time. Again this is something I use multiple, multiple times every play session on every character. It becomes a clickfest back and forth between the tabs. Yes, there is another search bar but it is in the opposite corner of the screen that I’m often working in and can’t be moved. Again, please see the below mock-up.

1 Like

This is a small but hopefully helpful feature request for the Photon UI.

Whenever you have a window that needs to be scrolled up and down, like the market or items in a hangar, you get the scrollbar on the right, which is fine.
The sad thing is, you have to move the scrollbar-indicator up and down to position your desired position.

If you take a scrollbar on for example Firefox, the funny browser, you just need to click on a position on the scrollbar to instantly be in that position.
You can see what I mean, when you open this very forums-site in Firefox and click anywhere on the scrollbar you want.
Firefox moves you right there, without delay. On the Photon UI, you need to move that indicator to move up and down, which is more tedious than it needs to be.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.