Photon UI - Now in Beta (Opt-Out)

I tried again for a bit.

It wastes too much space, missing core functionality of old, less info covering more screen estate.

Time should be spent on how to combine 3-4windows info to 1 window in old UI, not on this. Like pilots in local could be done vastly better for both high & low numbers. Scanning, Dscan, localbookmarks, local warps, mission warps, local system info, local stations & gates - all this could be combined smartly in 1 max 2 windows.

Do stuff that actually matters, get more information onscreen, in fewer windows, with less deadspace.

It will do more for new player retention than some UI that offers even less info in even more space.

5 Likes

You removed my post for telling you the TRUTH!

• Let me REPOST IT
  • Your SYNC is BULLLSHIT

Without it : 2.5ms to 3ms latency
With it : 15ms to 17ms latency

GAMEBOX:

Gigabyte X299 AORUS Ultra Gaming Pro
Intel Core i9-10920x Cascade Lake X-Series
Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
4x G.Skillz Trident 8GB 4200MhZ
Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W
4x Samsung 970 EVO plus 500GB

• Highpoint SSD7103 nvme RAID controller

Screen : MSI MAG301RF Ultrawide 21:9 200HZ

You litterally FEEL it just by moving the camera, so if this ain’t bulllshit, im not human.

2 Likes

New UI suck does not work. As it more buggy then needs to be. Will not us it and will not be forced. I will quit playing EVE if you try

2 Likes

Please keep Photon as an option, not as a mandatory UI. I do not know who finds the Photon UI appealing, but from a perspective of practicability the old UI is WAY BETTER than Photon.

Why does CCP even bother with changing the UI which is great in my opinion? Is there nothing else that needs to be fixed in the game?

One can only shake his head…sigh

4 Likes

I’ve been trying Photon for about a week now, just about ready to give up on it. Have only held on this long because play time has been minimal.

Not saying there’s nothing good about it - almost every new interface has one or two things I like:

• Overview: I like the more visible blue-grey shaded background on selected items
  • Agent Interface: I like the full-size pic of the agent
  • Drones window: I like the control icons on right of the bar

However, again on every interface, what I’m finding is I like maybe 20% of the changes, but dislike maybe 40-50% of the changes, for a net decrease of about 25% usefulness in virtually every area.

That, plus Photon has proven to be laggy, to miss inputs, to waste precious screen space, to ignore buttons I’m clicking even though the button reacts when I click it (for instance, complete a mission, request mission, new mission appears, buttons highlight, quickly hover over ‘Decline’, click, button reacts but mission is not declined. Wait another second, do again, now button works.)

I could get more use out of it with one simple change - when selecting “Compact Mode” for a window, don’t remove the _ and X options. Making these right-click and menu-select options is unbelievably stupid. The title bar is still there - removing them saves NO space.

Even then, “get more use” doesn’t mean I would use it. Just too many bugs, delays, misses and window-tunings to bother with.

It’s highly indicative that the OP on this “forced new feature” got 4 likes. 4

Do some data mining and find out how many people disabled Photon and how quickly. (Keeping in mind that people are typically lazy and some will accept a crap interface rather than take the 5 clicks needed to turn it off.)

I’d say “Have someone make a thorough list of the parts of Photon that people like and hate. Reproduce the generally ‘liked’ parts, remove the ‘hated’ ones.”

But I’ve observed CCP for too many years to believe something like that could happen.

8 Likes

I found the icons to be similar enough to be understandable, but the distance between things in the right click menu when in space was way farther. It felt cumbersome to have to mouse between things so much. I guess I value how close everything is in the old version because you can be faster. Also I keep an inventory open when in space, just big enough for three tiles to be seen: the “inventory” was so big and it felt odd to me.

I was very relieved to be able to go back to the old one…maybe that makes me the old one?

2 Likes
  • The headers are too big for my taste.
  • Hard to read the text when the camera is facing brighter background.
  • Can we get a compact view?

Opted out for now. Would try again if the above issues are fixed. But I would certainly love to always have the opt out option.

3 Likes

+1 for me

1 Like

The planet industry window does not have the X to close in compact mode and has huge icons in the normal mode which cannot be resized. I am back to using the old version

4 Likes

hi 1st post so dont want to dump on a great game BUT

todays update not sure what has been changed but when I go into the skills window AIR program etc game crashes within a minute making horrid noise then resets my pc??

not sure where to put this so ive put it here

just learned how to turn off this new (looks very unpolular) UI thing so will try again and will post results either way if u dont hear from me in the next 30 mins assume Im grinding to the max but i assure u I’ll be back

atb… Dropsey

1 Like

WTF goes on with the Drone window in this Photon farce?
I cannot see all the drones I have launched.
I don’t know what they are doing or what condition they are in.
I’m got “Compact Mode” enabled but it’s not at all “Compact” given the text and health bars occupy so much space as to make it absolutely useless

2 Likes

The UI Pointer feature no longer works for certain things, notably the Overview Settings that is now even more buried and hard-to-find than it already was.

Also the pointers for things that have moved, don’t work for someone not on the same UI version as you.

1 Like

grafik
Why is there a plus symbol on the notification widget?

The title bar highlight for trying to stack windows together is almost invisible with Photon. This is not helping to make the UI easier to use and better.

Existing UI:

grafik

Photon:

grafik

1 Like

New Skins interface. What is this? I can not even see 4 full skins, and the icons are smaller despite this massive waste of space. In the old UI, I see more skins and the icons are bigger, too.

8 Likes

grafik

This kind of misalignment of text in the in space boxes has been an issue for a long time now and is plaguing the existing UI as well.

2 Likes

Why do drones that are docked in the drone bay show up in Selected Items? If that is intentional, at least make it useful:

• allow me to launch the drones
  • make it so that I can launch full groups and not just individual drones

Speaking of the first point: in the existing UI I ACTUALLY CAN LAUNCH drones via the selected items, with Photon is option is gone. What on earth…

5 Likes

Way too much wasted space, and I’m not talking about the font size. Every window has so much extra padding, there is hardly any real estate left to see the game. There was precious little space left using the old UI, the new one is just ridiculous.

7 Likes
  • Header Space is way too big
  • why would you hide the close window X in compact mode? it’s not getting more compact
    ** please make compact mode compact and not just in comparison to your idea of normal ui
  • please either make a global “disable light background” option, or use the existing “transparency” option. for now there are even things where i can’t find a way to turn it off like the neocom + menu.
  • also please global compact mode setting.
  • selected item window - if scaled down to the smaller icons, the hight is not adjusted to the smaller ones, for longer item names you even get scrollwheels while half of the windows is empty.
10 Likes