Photon UI - Now in Beta (Opt-Out)

Damn that photon UI take to much space for NOTHING.

• Nothing new, just a new look that take to much space
  • DRONE in space is the first exemple, It take twice the space as before…
  • NO need of that big useless drone icon.
1 Like

On a 60" TV, its not too terrible. On a regular monitors regardless of size, horrible.

However, after less than 30 minutes on my gaming monitors, the new UI gave me an actual headache and disabled it.

• Text not auto-sizing windows leaving many fields cut out or unreadable
  • Too much real estate being used for borders or areas lacking of any useful information or eye candy
  • Borders? What? Why?
  • Chat channel names can no longer be read and have to be highlighted for context - making it useless.
2 Likes

Reason why I opted out:

user experience vs user interface design → meaning, too much emphasis was placed on making the UI look modern, without taking into account usability. I know there have to be some compromises, but these are too much. I highly recommend making the UI a lot more adjustable and let the user choose when it’s time to switch.
Right now, by forcing a new UI design, you admit to it being worse than the old one. When players will want to switch and have actively decided to switch, then you can force it. There’s probably a statistic for that u guys can use, even though it will be heavily inflated by just in-active or ‘not caring’ people.

Also, the drone window is just way too much. I understand it “looks cooler” with big drone icons, but no, it takes up way too much space.

Another very important topic, performance. I feel like it is less responsive than the old UI. I cannot show you any examples for that though.

Overall, still a fan of modern UI, but for this game, usability and user experience comes first, then modern design.

I thought I was force enable for everyone since it was launch as an optional feature, thanks to you , I took a 2nd look and disabled it too , CHEERs!

1 Like

This would be true if CCP actually listened to the feedback. Instead they are pushing this mobile UI and not fixing anything. Most of the things complained about in here have been mentioned ages ago and been ignored by CCP.

5 Likes

grafik

grafik

One UI does a better job at differentiating between security levels in the full security band. The other mixes all kinds of security bands into one washed out color and thinks it’s doing us a good service.

6 Likes

@CCP_Paragon How do I opt out of this garbage on all accounts at once ?

2 Likes

All of the space save once the PHOTO UI was disable.

• If you want us to see your graphics change, give us space to see it!

PS, I am on a ultrawide screen and I still have the feeling I am missing space to play. LOL

• stop taking more and more …
2 Likes

This thread is gonna be popcorn-tastic

popcorn_jon_stewart

The many, many problems with Photon have been voiced very loudly by many players over the last few months and CCP seem intent on ignoring all of the feedback and pushing it into opt-out public beta anyhow.
Enjoy the ride.

3 Likes

THIS. Honestly.

So the default modus operandi at CCP which they showcase with every new feature. :wink:

:psyccp:

1 Like

Some specific non-flame bug reports / feedback on the new UI:

If you launch drones and recall them repeatedly (2 or 3 times) while the mouse is positioned over the top “Drone in Bay” you will get a message “Slow down! You can’t do this quite so fast. Wait 45 seconds and try again”.

You can’t apparently move the Drones window while it’s in compact mode.

The Locations window text is taken from the highlight color instead of being white; this makes it very hard to read in some themes.

I’m very used to navigating through the universe by hitting Alt-E to open the People & Places window, typing in the name of the system / station I want to visit, and setting destination from there. Alt-E is now just “People”, not “Places”, and I can’t navigate from there. I know it’s possible to search systems / stations via other means, but this is the one I’ve used for 15 years and it’ll take a while to retrain my muscle memory.

The L shortcut to open/close the Locations window was removed. It’s possible to rebind it, but that requires unnecessary extra effort on every client. It’d be better to leave the keybinding in place.

Drones: when you press the Engage keybinding, it flashes “Drones engaging [target]” in a little popup that flashes a white background and then a black background. The flashing is very distracting (especially since, in normal use, you sometimes to have to mash Engage a few times for all the drones to actually engage).

This is a very small nit but: when you’re docked in a structure, the inconsistent capitalization of “View outside” next to “Take Control” feels unpolished.

I dislike the selected item in Overview taking its color from the theme, because it can be confusingly close to the colored blue/red/green backgrounds that I use to quickly see which ships on grid are hostile / friendly / in fleet (etc). Would much rather that selection in the Overview be a plain white / grey highlight as it was in the old UI (or taking a dim color hint from the theme, but not the very bright coloration that it gets now.)

+1 to other people’s comments about the color difference between a 0.4 and 0.5 system not being nearly clear enough.

Also +1 to the drones window being way too big, especially for any boat with multiple flights of drones.

2 Likes

I hope there will always be option to use standard UI - I hate proton to big font at 90% even

Eve require a lot windows to have open when you flying and with Proton UI those windows are even bigger - take more space like drones for example.

1 Like

Do not force this Photon UI on anyone. The user interface is wasteful, requiring more monitor space for the same info. We cannot all buy larger monitors and why the heck should i? This wasteful UI will make manual piloting difficult for me and no i will not be buying a larger monitor.

1 Like

Opting out reason #1: Dead space in the UI. There is so much of it, for someone multiboxing on smaller monitors, it is not usable in its current form. The feeling I get when I go from the old UI to the new one is like everything is padded to hell with dead space.

#2: Lack of control. Why can’t we edit even minor things in the rest of the UI, such as the appearance and size of text of specific windows and menus, in the same way we can edit the overview now? I want that level of control.

2 Likes

If you decide that you simply cant resist the urge to reinvent the wheel, wouldnt it then be reasonable to not make it square ?
I have nothing positive to say about it other than i wont be using it at all.
Extremely unimpressive.

2 Likes

Dear developers,

i apreciate the effort but you’ve really botched this one. Honestly i did not want to try Photon UI because if i remember the fiasco with map change… yeah… u went exactly the same way. Old one was and still is better in terms of less flash more raw data focused! which is what we need… clear infor not paint and lights.

List of minuse on Photon UI:

• everything too huge even at 90% scale, stuff is bigger than 100% in standard (we’re talking fonts, windows taskbars, spacing beetwin lines…) WHY?
  • controls for windows… why change? Old ones are pretty fine???
  • clunky feeling througout…
    … and i managed to find the positive at this point

Positive:

• opt-out! KEEP IT! Really , do keep it! Make us old bittervets happy at least at this point!

I’m frankly dissapointed regarding state of Photon UI after all this time and all the written “glory” of it. And that is just from 1 minute to find the opt out option, with no urge whatsoever to try it a bit more! 1 long minute!!! If it would be any good… fine… force it on us, but what the hack???
Dissapointment is going into that it aint anything really new or even better, just more of UI (physicly, just more of it), more flashy and “appealing” instead of optimizing and streamlining. It aint mobile game UI for litle kids that one can buy with “flashy” and nice.
Some of ppl just want optimised, packed and efficient albeit rough around the corners which is all but what Photon UI is. Data and info shall be presented efficiently, clear and without unecessary distractions.

Seriously, keep the opt-out!

With dissapointment, Sluzy

7 Likes

The density of information is far too low. Unusable on my 1920x1080.
Please don’t force this upon us after beta.

5 Likes

… This… I don’t know how to describe it…

I mean, many people said “it looks like a mobile game” and~ I agree… The Photon UI just screams “Mobile Game” everywhere I look…
… And then, the empty spaces in which 99% is, well…

Please, literally anyone from CCP staff while completely disregarding the entire coding comparison, explain to literally anyone here how the Photon UI is better than the old one.
Your Photon UI isn’t even in a proper Beta state, its in a pre-Alpha v0.010 state.

Its “compact mode” feels like its “2x scale”, and that’s simply because of all the useless empty space. You might as well have added a “Mobile UI Mode” to the UI we currently have when opted-out or added more scaling sizes higher than 1.5x, would also have had like 1% development effort for higher gains too and in record times, with record acceptance rates…

Look, I can go with sound improvements, graphical improvements, x32 deprecation, the new map that has been in-use for years, but not Photon UI… I’m sorry but it feels like its simply an unjustified waste of development time that you should have invested into something more worthwhile, like adding Vulkan native support (to which Dx12 is a direct distorted fork that Microsoft made from Vulkan) and native client for Linux (which only needs you guys to compile for it), unless you’re using the Photon UI “development” as an excuse for something you don’t want your clients to know about…
… I wonder if its really as aggravatingly serious as it sounds, or more… :thinking:

… But if you’re actually looking to change the UI to facilitate the coding for it, and to discontinue the opted-out UI, then make it equal in all visual aspects to what we have now in the opted-out UI that people have been using for years… Just in case that I’m not explaining myself correctly here, make the Photon UI (you know, the one you claim to be Beta and everyone knows it isn’t there yet) look exactly like the UI we have been using for years… Menu by menu, functionality by functionality, letter size by letter size, the minimal empty space by minimal empty space, color representation by color representation, icons by icons, buttons by buttons, etc… Well, I’m pretty sure I don’t need to point out the rest since you guys can figure out the rest by yourselves…

Consistency should be your top priority, and not shoving Eve Echoes UI down our throats as if doing otherwise would be a IRL killswitch to all CCP employees… Remember, feedback posts are nice and all but people will really vote with their wallets and if the Photon UI isn’t exactly the same as the opted-out UI (or better), well, you know what that means…

4 Likes

Мне нравится новый интерфейс. Честно! Но он занимает слишком места на экране… То есть он действительно красивый, и приятен для глаз. Но он жирный, толстый, и в окно того же размера не влезает столько же информации, сколько влезало раньше. Особенно чат, который мы всегда старались максимально уменьшить, но при этом видеть изменение числа людей в локальном чате.
1 : добавьте те же самые визуальные эффекты, но без изменений размеров старого интерфейса.
2: позвольте управлять размерами каждой строки!
3: цвет квадратов, обозначающих безопасность системы по маршруту - слишком бледные.
Спасибо!