Photon UI - Now in Beta (Opt-Out)

Reasons why I stay opt out:

• there is still an ungodly amount of dead/wasted space even in compact mode windows
  • what makes this feel worse is that there are way less features in the photon windows than the current UI so there is often nothing to guide the eye when trying to pick up information from different parts of the screen
  • for compact mode, there should a clientwide default setting for it (having it customizable per window is nice but not practical when someone wants it active across all the UI)
  • wether compact mode or not, the text is less readable in photon. I tried using larger font settings, but it didn’t improve and somehow made it look like the amount of blank space is growing.
7 Likes

графика не нравиться, минимализм наше все.

Please make it possible forever to keep the old space-effecient UI, and please allow us to use the old skill window again.

If you do that… go crazy and wild with that Photon UI, because then I don’t have to care.

Thanks for the opt-out possibility.

3 Likes

Tell you what, CCP. For the low, low price of only $19.95, I will re-code the UI for you in HTML and it will look ten times better than what you just rolled out…

2 Likes

If you think the feedback has been negative on this forum, just check out the talk in Rookie Help chat and various other channels in-game from players who didn’t know this was coming and the update forced it on them…

7 Likes

OMG … why ccplease…

i’m color blind. shut down game after… Got headache 5 minutes in the game. Disabled it immediatly. Red and green don’t go together…

5 Likes

I have opted out from the PhotonUI because it is NOT fit for purpose. Most of the elements do not work properly on a 1080 resolution as they take up FAR too much screen real estate. Does CCP think we all have 4K monitors? Or are CCP planning on releasing this game to the iPad and thusly need to make sure you can touch screen around it?

I would much rather CCP dropped this UI in its current state and started working on it again, properly, listening to player feedback (and actually listening to it rather than fingers in ears listening), and making it actually more useful to the playerbase. Sure, it looks fancy, snazzy and WOWEE funky fresh light effects, but we are NOT after that. We want a UI that tells us, with the absolute minimum of fuss, what it is we are doing and how we go about doing it.

3 Likes

i opted out based on the chat windows look and the way market tab changed

1 Like

Thanks to this new UI I lost control of my ship. It would not respond to any commands, could not be steered and would not stop moving straight up after I clicked “approach” on an object which was NOT straight up.

The god-awful colour scheme also made me want to rip my eyes out.

Whomever designed this shite should be fired from CCP immediately.

I will NEVER use this Photon ■■■■■■■■ and if you force us to I swear to Christ I will drop this game for good, regardless of the 2+ years of Omega I have left on my account.

I swear to god this update makes me so ■■■■■■■ angry.

3 Likes

force it and i QUIT EVE, simple.

9 Likes

Windows and text take up too much space. The game is unplayable like this.

1 Like

Still too much empty space. I think the compact mode should be on by default but that does not do enough on some of the windows. I do not necessarily hate how it looks but it really needs to give the same information as the old UI. In the current iteration I feel like I’m sacrificing information for the sake of something that looks nicer (or worse, depending on the person) and it really can’t feel like that. I need to feel like I am either upgrading or at least sidegrading when I use the new UI.

I am opting out for now, perhaps if the windows get more compact/less space is wasted I will try it out again.

1 Like

It looks pretty! However… There is SOOO much wasted space.
I’m not interacting with a touch screen, why is there now enough room for me to confidently navigate with my fingers? I’ve always hated that in gui make-overs. I got a higher resolution monitor to put more information on it, why tf did everyone decide to make the gui elements bigger! Make that an Opt-In option available, not default. More time to get to things needed will mean slower responses. This is NOT ideal. I’d rather have a dull tight gui with a useable interface giving me information than unused space that looks pretty.
Pretty is nice, but keep it useable.

1 Like

I’ve had to Opt Out as you can’t alter the transparency, I’ve changed it to 0 in settings but its not changed anything. I’ve restarted the client a few times. Fix this and I’ll be happy.

2 Likes

The new UI is cool, It’s more modern. I really like it
Special mention to the chat windows dynamic transparency, it’s super useful.

I like the possibility to customize the blink on the wallet
I would appreciate more flexibility on how windows size could be changed

I opted out and my Neocom still looks terrible, the icons are huge and my contracts window broke and I could not select any items from my hangars. I was literally forced to switch to Photon UI to fix this issue. I will be going back to the regular UI as soon as the Neocom is returned to its original state and I am actually able to make an item exchange contract again. It would be appreciated if you would tell me how I can disable the new UI as even when I wasn’t in Photon the Neocom was still blaringly large and annoying.

3 Likes

Same with me, the transparency may look cool but it can be quite annoying and when it’s at 0 I expect windows to be opaque, not translucent.

2 Likes

Hello. This would be my first written opinion on something Eve Online related .

I chose to opt out Photon UI because it has so much unused space that you can’t shrink.
I am often using 2, sometimes even 2 and a half clients on a screen ( 2560x1080 monitor ) and i was relying on the info i get on the shrinked loot windows, now im not getting any.
The missing borders are bad .
It all seems like a badly unfinished job, i am sorry , i really home this will not end up as permanent .

2 Likes

Cant dock in from lmb menu :frowning:

Apologies but I disabled the UI after 20 minutes. Not necessarily because it’s different, more because of the emphasis on flares as if it’s a michael bay film. two particular settings, 90% UI scaling seemed larger than the old UI (I dont know how but it does feel bigger and clunkier), and then the I-Beam/I-Cursor (The leading cursor that displays where you type) being a large glowing neon flare.

I was just trying to talk to my friends in EVE after work and felt like what i was typing might show up in a trailer for the sequel to a hit movie called Hackers, or the Matrix. Absolutely not for me. If you can either tone it down a little or at least add an option to have a perfectly 100% vanilla normal I-Cursor, perhaps I shall return.

1 Like