Photon UI - TQ Feedback Thread

It’s probably already reported but the reset of the Personal Assets view to ‘all items’ after any kind of action/event is really annoying.

Firstly, I’m really pleased to see the UI getting attention and developing rapidly.

Photon’s current appearance is the exact opposite of what I want from the UI. It emphases the UI itself (windows, window titles, buttons, etc.) to the detrement of the information that the UI is meant to be presenting. It’s almost as if it’s been made by a UI designer trying to show off their UI design!

What I want from Eve’s UI is the data, with less clutter. Not more, brighter, bigger clutter. Less clutter. No clutter if possible.

My dream UI would have no windows and window borders, few buttons, zero extraneous text and symbols. It would be 100% HUD. In space.

Thanks for listening.

P.S. Make your UI designers use 1280x1024 screens.

2 Likes

we agree to any changes to proton ui if the old interface is still in the game :blush:

1 Like

I just noticed that in People and places the “Online Only” button is nearly completely on top of “Notifications”. So it’s impossible to toggle that.

The buy and sell dialogues are better now but the “Modify Order” window still has the “OK” button overlaying the “Broker’s fee” text.

The “Transfer ISK to” context option in “Corporation Wallet” → “Divisions” presents a window that doesn’t allow to put something else but 0.0 or 0.1 as an “Amount”.
The button “Deposit ISK” right next to the big Z Wallet box does work though.

pls, while docked make outer borders of all windows more discernable.

When I manage assets, do industry, check markets etc with many windows open I want to be able to easily click on inactive windows. Right now its hard to discern where windows start and end.

[edit] DONE . THX !!

2 findings so far (using Minmatar theme):

• On my Vargur, with the new AI I get the sound queue to reload when my guns are empty, but the litlle number on the module display still says “10”. I didn’t have this on the old UI
  • Explosions in space sometimes linger and the red hue on the entire space background lingers.

Please add this little side bar toggle to compact mode https://i.imgur.com/XhYLiXv.png also please add compact mode to chat channels. and why is the chat channel text input box so high ? I can nearly see 3 lines of text just in the input box, shrink this please https://i.imgur.com/O9rStRi.png
thanks.

Dude add the blinky new chat message tab back… its useless when I dont know if people are active in channel.

1. on station, the button “Board my Corvette” takes too much space, it is used once per never…
  2. Password popup for Join Channel - initial state: the input field is behind the Ok/Cancel btns.
  3. Popup for of ctrl+alt+shft+m - initial state - texts covers each other
  4. Captions of windows are toooo large, please add the availability to customize their size.
    Generally it’s nice but a lot of graphic bugs

THIS. So much this. Literally go down and confiscate every high resolution monitor in the facility. Do not allow them to use them for anything for the next month. It straight up makes the UI designers worse at their job.

Nobody cares if the UI looks great on a 4k graphical designers’ monitor, it’s useless flash that impedes the ability to play the game on a normal people monitor.

3 Likes

It is not just the Save state at the bottom but the whole Ship Circle is too large for the space. Size needs to be reduced to stop overlapping the things around it. It covers the name of the ship, the 3 buttons to the left, the one button to the right and the bottom save state button/text.

Also when connecting to a new Bookmark folder. The length of the default window should be dynamic to ensure enough space for all the text in the window without button overlap of text. Since you went with larger buttons this seems to be a large problem.

We are not using tablets and this is a game that requires a fair amount of Mental acuity. A new UI will not solve that problem. Remember we are playing an information based game that requires that information to be displayed in as compact a space as possible. Your designers seem to be adopting Touch screen UI protocols to a game that should use a mouse / trackball / key bind interface.

Eliminating Division lines in the Tabs and making buttons larger will not solve the problems with new players. Community development and NPE improvement (the new NPE is going a long way to make the intro to the game better) will go a long way towards helping new players understand why the game needs so much information.

Aesthetics of the Proton UI does look better. I just wish you would use the same scale and size of the old UI as a basis, and just reskin the surface to improve cohesion.

2 Likes

One other useful feature that would be nice is the ability to enable on a per client basis. I would like to test the broken, I’m sorry, new interface on a single client without it affecting the game play of all of my characters.

1024x768 actually. That was the stated minimum resolution for EVE.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but in the personal assets, it is really annoying to have to keep selecting “Region” if that is the tab I want. I should be able to keep it set to what I pick after session changes.

so been having a bit of play with the UI and my complaint as a multi-account user is that the icons and spacing etc are larger. most of the time I play the game with tiled windows on ultra-wide screens. so if doing something like ratting/mining on up to 15 accounts… the larger icons and spacing make it harder to see what is going on. I do like some of the changes that help with readability etc and the style is nice but for example, the old layout is more compact to view items. etc

on icon size difference and UI compactness for general use.

often I end up playing with all clients in window mode as small as they will go 720x1024 so screen real estate is at a premium in that case. to me it feels like most of the UI elements are larger thus taking up more space. but for example, on my 1440x5120 display, I run 10 accounts. each at 720x1024

Great work! Really appreciating all of the work on Photon; the larger buttons are easier for me to mouse over to and click; yay Fitt’s Law! It is certainly an improvement. Just want to surface a few bugs I’ve come across, which might be easy fixes but would have been easy, also, to overlook.

The list of my ships hangar is sometimes one column, like this, when viewing in icons mode. Appears that it fails to recognize the width of the window.

1 Like

Also, the “Ships” and “Items” tabs in the hangar view are missing at first, and if i click them they become visible.

Additionally…

The compose EVE Mail screen has a clipped “Subject” text box.

2 bits of feedback from me so far…

1. I dont like the dotted window background, prefer the clean one in the current UI. The dotted window one for some reason makes the pixels on my screen really visible. Almost like a white noise effect (its not a cheap one either!)
  2. looking forward to compact mode, with the new UI i have to make my chat window wider to see all of my chats and i only have 4.

Other than that looks good!

Having some trouble getting the PhotonUI client to size some windows properly … when I try to send an evemail it blocks out the box in which you type the title.

windows 10 2560 x 1440 full screen

Sorry - just noticed that someone has reported this already

I’m a returning player, and just enabled the new UI.

1. I really like where this is going. While I can empathize with players in this thread asking for a compact mode, I really like the direction away from tiny buttons and text being the default. I feel like the new interface is much less intimidating to newer players.

2. I really like the little details that have been put into this design - like when you move your mouse around, buttons and the colored ribbon on the title bar glows. Great stuff.