Pilot Names, weird, wonderful, etc

When you fly around in Eve you frequently see names (or at least I do) that make you think what exactly was that (RL) person thinking when they came up with that name?

So I thought I’d start a post about names.

If the name of a pilot has made you smile, wince, groan, laugh out loud or simply wonder, what the … then share a screenshot of the names here. I’ve started it off with some of the ones that I’ve seen over the last few days that have made me raise at least one eyebrow.

Important Ground Rules:

The creation and choice of a pilot name by someone is their absolute right and it may have been done with a significant RL backstory behind it. Choices made should be regarded as valid by default and not something to be denigrated.

The aim of this thread is therefore not to mock, insult or ridicule other people - it’s about our fascination and wonderment with the diverse names that we have in the Eve universe, delivered possibly with a subtle and slight wry grin.

So when you’re sharing, if you can’t say anything polite, then please share a screengrab without comment (as above, it’s not about contempt)

It, hopefully, goes without saying that bad language or personal attacks of any kind on others should be avoided, please. If people do do this, the thread will be shut down very quickly by the moderators. I think this would be a pity.

Please keep the screenshots petite, if for no other reason than to make viewing easier for others

Out of politeness, it’s probably best to tag the people’s names that you’ve shared. There’s no pressure on anyone to explain their choices but it might make interesting reading if people do want to share their thinking here and there.

Thanks.

Enjoy.

. . . . .

Tagging:

@418 I’m-a-Teapot
@Farm Fresh Eggs
@Dave_of_Daveland
@OhPleaseNotMyPod

:mouse:

8 Likes

I’ve actually always kind of liked your character’s name. Then again…I like mine too…so maybe folk might question both our tastes…

2 Likes

Not a character, but there was an instance when a certain individual named a structure in a particular manner to insult another EVE player who had passed away due to a suicide.

1 Like

I like your name, but I’ve always sort of wondered: Is it a take on Siouxsie Sioux?

That first one made me laugh because of the geek humor in it.

2 Likes

There was a character named Ivanna Jerkov around for a while.

But then I lost her in the great unused character purge a few years back.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

4 Likes

You betcha bippy there, missy. Banshees4eva and such

In fact, I think she made a song about EvE:

7 Likes

My entire corp

OMG! That’s truly nasty and really awful. Did CCP deal with it? Did anything happen? (Players attacking it to wipe it out for example?)

1 Like

*autistic screeching*

Put the asterisks before and after the parentheses for a more visually pleasing result.

(Players attacking it to wipe it out for example?)
(Players attacking it to wipe it out for example?)

See?

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

mad dweeb, Angry Autist, SLippery Elbow, Banana Inspector, Cactus Boxer, Donut Burglar, Combat Cookie, etc …

Why so Sirius

1 Like

Oh, btw, I guess my naming fits in here.

Solstice Project was my initial character.
Solecist Project was my first alt.

A Solecism is a mistake in speech or writing …
… and “Solecist” is an anagram of Solstice.

3 Likes

This is a cool thread, thank you for posting.
I do like Xuxe Xu and your name, Mu’ad Diib. Dune ?

I did see a few names that got me laughing out loud but unfortunately my memory isn’t what it used to be so I can’t write them down in here :woozy_face:

I like Aaargh tho, too funny. The name, not the player. Solstice Projekt is nice name too.

3 Likes

HEY! I’M NOT THE ALT!
YOU ARE! YOU YOU YOU!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I am NOT a breach of good manners and I NEVER display any incorrect behaviour !!!

NEVER! WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN ??

*spreads pink glitter everywhere* :blush:

1 Like

i like Aaaarrggs name too :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It was anchored right by the cyno vigil that was being held in remembrance of the pilot.
Don’t remember what happened to it, but I believe CCP did nothing about it.

1 Like

It seems that some of you guys need a little “attitude adjustment”…

2 Likes

Thanks @Xuxe_Xu. And also @GloriousDeath.

For what it’s worth the backstory behind my name is this:

First off, I love science fiction and I’ve read it fairly seriously since I was about 12 ( < gulp > I’m now 55 so that’s 43 years!). Dune was an instant favourite of mine and I’ve been a fan since the first time I picked it up.

In Dune, Paul Atreides (later known as Paul Muad’Dib, and the lead character) becomes the leader of the indigenous Arrakian population - the Fremen - and goes onto to lead a campaign of resistance against oppressive Harkonnen and imperial rule.

This, combined with the fact that Fremen society is arranged in an egalitarian way¹, resonates with my personal politics and this is another reason that I’m a fan of the name.

When I was 18, I lived on Kibbutz Gilgal² in the Jordan Valley for just under two years. It was a very formative stage in my life, although at the time I didn’t realise quite how profoundly the experience would effect me (whenever I’ve travelled and walked since that time I’ve been magnetically drawn to deserts, and rocky deserts are my happy place³).

When Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon his impromptu description of the moonscape was that it was "magnificent desolation"⁴. This has always been the way that I think about deserts, they are harsh and unforgiving places, but they’re also stunningly beautiful.

References:
1 - If you’re interested in Dune, there’s a thought-provoking thesis that you can read online about it’s politics and how these relate to our world. Essentially the thesis is about how the novel’s portrayal of state power (specifically, the ideological/repressive apparatuses) directly relates to issues/concerns in America and the West between 1950-1960. Here’s a link: http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1328254/FULLTEXT01.pdf

2 - Kibbutz Gilgal: https://www.kibbutzvisit.com/listing/kibbutz-gilgal

3 - Favourite places include, The Negev Desert, the Sinai Peninsula, the Atlas Mountains, and the Canary Islands (especifically, Lanzarote and Tenerife).

4 - Buzz Aldrin, second man on moon, recalls ‘magnificent desolation’, Reuters, July 17, 2019 - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-space-exploration-aldrin-idUSKCN1UC01P

2 Likes

Of course, the legendary DBRB.
Often wondered, never asked.

1 Like

Thanks for the update @Scoots_Choco. It’s particularly depressing that someone would even do this in the first place but also that CCP’s eye was so removed from the ball that they did nothing about it (I’m assuming someone did complain about it to them though, right?)

Whilst I do understand that this game involves conflict and the destruction of other people’s stuff as a core aspect (which in itself can sometimes be cruel) I simply cannot understand the misanthropic and sociopathic way that some RL people take it just too far sometimes in their desire to hurt and injure others.

1 Like