Player cabins in stations

Imagine encountering Concord officers in person and testing your weapons on them only to find that they won’t die but also you have blown up a third of the station and are suddenly being sucked into space.

2 Likes

CCP wanted station environments, character models, and interactions to be an industry-leading experience. They spent a lot of time and effort on a physics cloth simulation for outfits, that would serve both EVE and the World of Darkness MMO. For their time, the CQ was highly detailed, and some players complained about GPU meltdowns :wink: CCP designers wanted to deliver station environments with similar high detail. It was a costly, slow process, since everything was being built from scratch with their own engine and tools.

Since that time, CCP have shown willingness to use 3rd party solutions to get a product out faster, but they would still face the problem of what unique gameplay would give it a reason for being - everyone had then, and has now some great ideas, but making them happen is the hard part.

After an epic space battle, thousands of players will want to hit the bar and talk about it. Is it the same bar? Physical spaces only hold a certain number of ppl. For practical reasons the experience would need to be instanced / sharded - which goes against one of the fundamentals of the space game. One of the trailers showed the “dream” concept of busting into someone’s CQ and shooting them on the spot. That’s… some other game; all conflicts in EVE are settled in space - 10 paces, turn, and fire - sometimes even less formally than that :wink:

We had DUST 514 and with it, many player’s least favorite aspect: Ps3 exclusive. That helped get the game made, but limited the audience. Cross platform interaction with the space game was really challenging for CCP developers. After that ended, I recall statements that they would make sure a character-based game stood on its own, did not require a link to the space game - before considering how to enhance an already successful experience, with some kind of space game link.

And that’s where we are now: it seems the best way to preserve the space game sandbox, is to keep character-based stuff separate.

We just need 2 person capsules then we are good :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It was based on a new technology from nVidia, Carbon.

1 Like

Long ago, in the days of yor, Eve had chronicles, novels, an interesting backstory, and all kinds of things to care about beyond just space ships and such matters related to them. It was a community immersed in a game.
But as societies collapsed and people were broken inside, along came people who just wanted to min-max or bedevil others, hiding behind all the trappings and gaslightings of “it’s just a game” or “I’m just role playing” or something like that.
Anything that didn’t pertain to their playing style was, in their opinion, a complete waste of time. Being people who generally don’t get out much, they had plenty of time to brigand forum threads and pretty much chimp out over anything that helped them not remember what happened to them IRL.

They won.

So now it’s just space ships in what is on the spiritual or “soul” level a browser game, with no community beyond little tribes based on some common dysfunction, a lore nobody gives a ■■■■ about, novels are gone, chronicles are forgotten and wasted. Nobody talks in local because people suck generally.

You can coat your ship in all kinds of fancy skins, but there is nothing inside. Just like the stations. And that’s why things never progressed past captain’s quarters.

So… no.
Be sure to subscribe though.

16 Likes

They can dust off their dust assets as well and make it where you can get into dust matches through the cabin.

2 Likes

From what I heard from CCP devs, CQ have been developed with socialization in mind.
But there wasnt put something to meet other avatars and interact.
There was no multiplayer avatar environment put in place so it suffered from being ridiculed as a featureless feature from day one.

If it would be released with the multiplayer avatar environment, interaction menu with emotes, the minigame, the bar, the exotic dancers and black market update (for designer drugs, designer clothes, designer implants and things like that), then people would use it.

But they were doing other things like DUST and WoD at the same time, occupying the devs with other things.

1 Like

hey @Michal_Somebody

and what benefit for the game would this have? its a space ship game with indsturtrie … not a bar game with players cabin …
its EVE Online not brothel online …

sorry but the plan of “walking in station” never have a benefit for the game it self … its a “nice to have” thing but its a waste of development time … a wast of money …

JuuR

1 Like

I was at fanfest but I dont have pink hair :frowning:
Not commenting on the rest :expressionless:

1 Like

That hit home :frowning:

1 Like

Wow allowed players to buy everything with wow tokens , from high end gear to instances progression ! You get the wow token with real life money ! Pay to win , achievements and progression in wow means nothing anymore ! Or u haven’t noticed that veteran ayers like Mad season, Beast quit playing wow one after the other !

Thanks for the pics. I wish I had been playing when capsuleers were able to walk around in stations, it would have felt more like a game and less like “spreadsheets in space”. I’ve only been playing for a little over a week and i’m getting bored already.
I don’t think that losing ships will be my idea of fun.

2 Likes

These images are from unreleased version that was scrapped before release, they never went back to re-add what they scrapped. On the third one is a tactical minigame table, picture taken in a bar. CCP made something else that was released.
Single player captain quarters.

9 Likes

Nothing prohibits existence of borthels and prostitutes in game as of now anyway. Because its part of the game, like love and hate. Its a world with all shades of grey.

1 Like

The problem were the same group of people who always whine about this and nerf that. They were against it from day one and they were relentless. It created an appearance that just simply wasn’t there.

1 Like

Hmmm, I don’t think I’m going to like to play a game where one group of arsehats dictate which direction the game will take.
Thank you for the info.

Players role is not so big as everyone would like to think. CCP itself made mistakes in listening to wrong people internally, even when that was their CEO who they had to listen.

I think that happens a lot in any business. The best (worst) examples are the “Go Woke, Go Broke” decisions and Hollywood is a perfect case in point.

There is no arguing with the boss, though. If the boss wants his business to fail by making wrong decisions then the only logical course of action is to look for another job.

1 Like

I stand corrected; I thought most of Carbon was CCP… it was CCP’s implementation of nVidia’s APEX tech. I found this: NVIDIA APEX Clothing info/demo Includes video demo of the road-not-taken.

Players were concerned at the same time about the macro (not micro) transaction scheme exemplified by a certain Monocle - priced around $70 USD! Nobody had to buy it, but, the NES/NEX was new, and the scary price seemed like a scary sign of pay-to-win (though it was not, and CCP tried to assure players they would never sell “gold ammo” in the Store.)

1 Like

If they do, they might earn more from players buying customization and collectibles. Buying apparel now seems to serve … Nothing much