Player cabins in stations

I and a hell of a lot of other players would be happy to help with that, especially the boredom part. Don’t worry about losing ships, as you progress that will happen less and less often for a number of reasons (unless you are like me and really like pushing your abilities to the absolute limit.
Just ask around, I bet that within a few minutes people will offer to take you on a grand tour, to join their corporations and fleets and show you so many things that you will be astounded that boredom is even possible.

1 Like

To me there’s two main reasons for that. One being we have nowhere to go in it, it’s mainly for just making profile pictures. The other being that the bulk of it, not all but far to much, is really really dull and uninteresting.

These problems are both fixable, the first being hard, the second being easy, and if done right, extremely profitable.
The first one, and there will always be someone saying “no, this is a spaceship game” is not only doable it could be amazing. If we could take the Captain’s quarters to the next logical step where it becomes part of the game it would draw in a gigantic number of new people (I think) and bring back a lot of the old ones. I think this because while I love Eve intensely I do want more, I want to be able to land on planets and not just fiddle about with tiny obnoxious icons to do planetary interaction, but to create whole colonies with their own economy, defence and industry that other players could occupy. The same with stations, I should be able to go to Jita and sneak up on and stab the hypernet bots, the isk doublers, and that one guy who never leaves and take their stuff, get arrested by concord and shoved out the airlock. I would love to be able to infiltrate Goonswarm Keepstars and create havoc while they try to catch and shoot me in the face for my audacity.
I think a “new player experience” starting out prior to becoming a Capsuleer on a planet or in a station where you need to learn a bit of lore about your race and others, a lot of the basic concepts of what you can do in Eve, and learn basic piloting starting with atmospheric flying and after completing that moving into space to eventually graduate to become a Capsuleer would be amazing and very very engaging.
This stuff is very possible now, most graphics cards available today can handle it without melting (I have two in my laptop, an Nvidia and an Intel, I play Eve on the Intel as it works fine and this allows me to render stuff in the background in other software such as ZBrush, Keyshot and (using the Nvidia) Blender. My laptop is now four or five years old, and I can play Eve and Warframe at the same time if I want (I don’t, I have enough trouble not being killed in Eve, but I can do it with no problem).
If you take all this additional stuff and monetize the cosmetic aspects CCP will have no problem making ends meet and we could wage ground wars and station battles. Imagine raiding someone’s station after fighting their ships and station defences and then having to fight them inside and steal their quantum core. I think that would be awesome personally.
Another thing I would like in Eve is a sense of home, and again, Warframe excelled at this, they had a door that was permanently locked (much like the one in captains quarters) in your ship and added a personal quarters to it which you can decorate with all sorts of stuff (you can also decorate your whole ship and invite people in to it for a visit. Some of the decorations are things like large fish tanks and you can go planet side, go fishing and catch your own fish to stock them with. It’s actually really amazing.
There is possibly one issue, but we see this already in Eve, and that is too many people on one server, though in this case it would be less of a server issue and more of a client issue. What if Goonswarm sends a thousand people to fight someone’s colony or station? That’s a lot of people running around and shooting, so in this case instancing would perhaps be needed just to make it possible, say it were limited to groups of fifty or so, I don’t know the hardware requirements but I believe it wouldn’t hurt anything at all. In space we have time dilation, in stations we could have population limits. On planets fighting or just people wandering around in an area could be limited in some way, though I’m not sure off the top of my head how that would work if you had a successful colony where a few thousand people lived.
Anyway, it’s just a thought, and I think it could and would work really well if it’s done right.

I just had a funny thought about how much fun it would be to be Minmatar and fight the Amarr hand to hand in an effort to escape being enslaved.
Things like that would make the game a lot more personal.

2 Likes

This thread is worth checking out if you want to see more CQ pics:

6 Likes

Or do a high heels race, equaly challenging IMO. Make these clothes useful.

1 Like

LOL… Dude! It’s called Cubicle Culture! Aren’t you sick of this in IRL?

I doubt EvE getting The Room back would halt ActiBlizz’s self destruction.

WiS_screen_37

3 Likes

For years we begged to let us impale corpses on the incursus and Sansha ships’ “blades”.

The computer said no.

I don’t think we’re going to get playable characters (in the sense of figures we can move around like other MMOs) anytime soon, as much as I’d enjoy it, and think it could attract many players. However, I think CCP could build toward it if they ignore the “it’s a spaceship game” mantra.

EVE is currently a spaceship game, but it doesn’t have to be limited to that. Give us a simple pilot’s quarters, work out the bugs in movement, then graduate us toward being able to move around limited portions of the stations.

I don’t know that I’d want to see hand-to-hand combat, but it’s an idea. I suppose it would depend on how it was executed. My fear is, I don’t want to see EVE turn into WoW, where it’s just a bunch of missions and endless variations on “go get me three capacitors” or “kill that guy” over and over.

Perhaps there could be room for PvP with characters instead of ships in the future, but I think it would be enough to give players a chance to exit orbit once in a while and travel around, and interact with the people in New Eden.

Right now, it feels a bit like driving a car. You know there are people in the other cars on the road, but there’s no way to really interact with them, aside from navigating around them. I think if EVE wanted to, they could add a more…organic feel to the world, full of life and more than just ships.

I enjoy the game as it is, but there could be more, and I’d like to think there might be, some day.

3 Likes

It’s a spaceship game It’s a spaceship game It’s a spaceship game It’s a spaceship game It’s a spaceship game It’s a spaceship game It’s a spaceship game It’s a spaceship game It’s a spaceship game It’s a spaceship game It’s a spaceship game …

They already have the knowledge and assets. They just don’t because of a vocal minority and a bonehead within the company who chose to release the game on a dying system. They could have released dust as its own game on pc and then allowed an option to get into dust matches from the captain’s quarters. This would have been a GOOD long term decision for CCP because the majority of pc players play shooters and a lot of eve players also played fps outside of eve. It would have been catering to the playerbase had they done it right despite the vocal minority, and they would have seen a surge and steady increase in player count in eve online as a consequence and more dust players than they got on ps3. I know I didn’t own a ps3. I still didn’t buy one after they released dust. A lot of eve players at the time were like that and if they had a console it was an xbox. CCP misunderstands their healthy playerbase because of the unhealthy ones who parrot memes and only debate because they’re looking for a fight.

Still not too late. I bet a dust release on pc would get more consistent player base than elite and if they market it right they’d get more than they ever had here. Looked like a good game. Shame I didn’t get to play it because I wasn’t about to drop hundreds of $$ for a console when I periodically upgrade my pc or outright buy an improvement which easily costs thousands. PS3 died because PS4 came out. Playstation 5 will die with Playstation 6 comes out. But eve will always work on a newer windows pc. That’s why eve will never die. There were other mmos out there that died strictly because they released on console. Dust wasn’t the only one and they existed prior to dust’s creation.

4 Likes

There was Project Legion which was a DUST 514 on PC, it was closest to what DUST could have been probably… if finished.

That project was supposedly converted into Project Nova. Which was also not finished.

Up to that point back in time what they showed was less and less again. The time it took them with creating it was more and more.

Now there is next project (third!!!), now without name (LOL). I did read it will redefine the shooter genre its so revolutionary.

I think they should just call it development hell. :thinking:

which imho is a rather new mantra. EvE was about building a immersive MMO Universe which more and more evolved into “arcade spaceships go boom lol xD”.

The Lore was cared for, there were new Chronicles coming out.
Seagulls and I think Hilmars vision was something the like of what Star Citizen set out to do. Long before Star Citizen was even a thing.

Dust, WiS, Valkyrie all this was geared towards this great immersive MMO universe.

3 Likes

Simpler to sell as in simpler to advertise to simpler people who needs simpler stimulus to spend money.

Buy PLEX = be wealthy!

Your ship go boom? Buy PLEX!

2 Likes

Within the RP community, we do have venue channels set up, where people can come do text based RP while playing their character.

People not being completely honest here.

CQ was cool. But it was very time consuming to maintain and less than 10% of players even used it. For a feature that was on by default, that’s 90% of players saying ‘nope’.

CQ had no gameplay either. No purpose other than to play space barbie (which obviously is a minority of players as well.) and no one could figure out what gameplay it should have.

People talked about walking to agents to get missions, however, history tells us that most players prefer to ‘fast travel’ for convenience. And so would most players prefer to talk to their agent from their ship for speed and skip the walk.

Another idea was a bar where players can gamble together and play space chess. But why do you need the bar for this? Players can gamble on the hypernet from any station anywhere and it also wouldn’t be hard to make a mini game that players can, again, play from anywhere like some kind of co-op project discovery. There’s no need to force people to be in the same location for this.

Players suggested a corp meeting room where they could discuss plans together, but again, why force people to attend at a single station when even the most basic of chat channels provide the same function for no drawback.

The only purpose, and i really mean only purpose, of CQ was for people to play space barbie RP. And they are a very small minority.

If you want to test just how small this RP crowd are i suggest you sit outside a station and watch how many people manually fly to a stations hangar doors before pressing dock, because that’s the exact same tedium you’re trying to add to the game for no benefit whatsoever.

This epitomises the ‘this would be a cool’ idea but has zero practicality.

4 Likes

maybe the only intended purpose but many folk worked how to watch their videos on the screen in the room while sitting on the couch, a bit weird if you ask me but im not a roleplayer. You can also guess the favoured genre of videos watched :wink:

So unfortunately most of CCP’s walking in stations ambitions got scrapped when they admittedly faltered with the release of Incarna.

The feature went from the promised walking in stations talking to friends and all these very heavy RP promised features to a captains quarters that you were forced into that lead to ridiculous loading times and strain on peoples PCs to the point they were melting practically.

Now that doesn’t mean they can’t relook at a feature like this especially considering it could probably be less resource hungry in todays day in age of PCs without looking poor. However to really successfully pull it off it’d have to do the following.

• Give you a reason to collect stuff to keep in your quarters
  • Allow players to visit each others quarters
  • Absolutely be a 100% optional feature that you do when you want to do it not because the game is making you do it.
  • Would also suggest they add a few generic player gathering type settings for groups that would like to RP meetings etc…could be a meeting room a bar an auditorium the sky is only limited by what the game engine could reasonably handle on your average PC.

Do I think they’ll ever do something like this that would require a focused development effort far exceeding what we’ve seen in eve since citadels? I don’t know it’s hard to tell how much dev effort is put towards eve vs the other projects.

1 Like

Lets go then, lets do it.

Graphics were nice, animation was ok. Little details were lore friendly.
The perspective of third person was ok, but it would be as good if not better in first person I think. The fidelity was there. There was not an option to go to that view tho.

4% had it turned on constantly, they didnt provide how many players ever used it for how long tho.
The maintenence was few programmers one month in a year time they said, removing bugs caused by other things they did add. Not very time consuming, but probably for them everything mattered as they constantly got down on developers then. Making the corporation leaner and leaner. Few things were removed in few years like in game browser, jukebox.

By default it was sometimes on and sometimes off. They did change it few times.

Thats strange statement, considering even sitting inside station is gameplay when you are doing industry, trading, scamming, developing fits, reprocessing, refining, doing updates to PI, corporation management etc.

I think it was players office, and it had access to what you would do in office.

There was big thread and people wanted to add many things, there was never the lack of ideas. To choose the ones that were showed in presentation of Incarna prorotype that was scrapped was the minimum what they could have added, that is socialization and black market. They completely dropped the ball when players realized that Hilmar want only to sell them $70 monocles. :ccpguard:

They in theory provide other quality and other functions than chat channel, like presentations, like starmap integration, but we never seen it in full potential.

The thing is, it is what players think it was for, while it could boost socialization and interactions, while developed further. If it would stay in the form it was added, It would be an office room to this day.

Socialization is practical, as expanding your options for interactions is practical experience, very usefull. It brings you options you never knew existed.

Also, lets not forget the exotic dancers.

5 Likes

A dark passage. Shuffling feet and the muffled sounds of suprise. The sudden flash of steel. The dull thud of a body dropping to the floor. Meanwhile, Wade is sipping from his glass of Orusian Crystal Tears waiting in his booth in the Pig Sty bar for his booster contact to arrive, watching a dull and tired performance from some over-aged exotic dancers from Kador or some other shithole in empire space.”

Yes, we had great expectations in 2011. Hah. Expectations. But I do miss the ship hologram on the coffee table.

In the current state of the game, we’d probably be paying rent to ccp for having a cq (don’t tell ccp ratati some guy wrote this on the forums, or bad things will happen).

5 Likes