Please fix toolbar on left side of screen

You can safely put him on ignore and be confident that nothing of value will have been lost.

The pruned neocom is a pointless change (much like the map and agent finder) that no-one asked for. It would be better to revert it.

1 Like

The primary focus in the OP was on the effect of the reduced menu on new players. Given feedback he receives while helping in the Rookie Help chat.

However, I personally found it a bit annoying, when creating a new pilot to try out the current trimmed-down NPE (it sucks, btw), that I had to pop open 6 different menus and drag various icons into place on the menu bar just to get back to what I normally use.

I support the idea of some trimming - new players probably don’t need Factories, Ship tree, other clutter on the bar that they won’t use any time soon - but the current version is a bit too minimalist for newbies and vets alike.

1 Like

Yes, I do. How difficult is it to drag drop or RMC and create a fully customized taskbar?

For a new player who also has an agency window filling 80% of the screen (who the fck thought THAT was a good idea I’ll never know) it’s not handy.

Besides, why remove basic functions to then force new players to add them again? It makes no sense. Sure, removing SOME of them is fine but removing wallet for instance is dumb as fck.

In fact the whole NPE is still a terrible failure, they keep working on it and every time they do something thing it’s either just as ■■■■ or actually worse. I’d REALLY like to know if this was shown to the CSM and if so, how they reacted to it.

1 Like

Yes I think it’s a good choice by CCP to put only the bare basics on the toolbar.

Why overwhelm newbies with useless extra buttons? If they want to access something that is not available on the toolbar yet, it’s all neatly sorted in categories in the drop down menu and there they can drag and drop any extra tools they might want to use to their toolbar to costimise it.

EVE throws a lot of information at new players. I completely understand the choice to hide some of the the lower priority buttons.

1 Like

Wallet, yeah that’s really useless
Industry, they’ll need that in the career tutorials, 30 mins in to the game.
Ship tree, we REALLY don’t want newbies to ogle the cool ships they might train for and get them interested in the game

3 Likes

Ship tree, while useful for the knowledge of new players, is not necessary for gameplay.
Wallet, while fun to look at, does not have any function I ever use.
Industry, while necessary for players into industry, is completely useless for anyone else.

Let’s play a game: pick 6 buttons you would put on the side bar. Buttons you cannot live without.

For me it would be:

• Inventory
  • Market
  • Ship fitting
  • Map
  • Fleet
  • Chat

It’s similar to the list CCP used. I understand that for the newbies they removed fleet and added Agency, Assets and the Help button. Agency is meant to be the introduction for new players, Assets is very useful for navigation and understanding where you bought and left stuff as a newbie, and no game hides away the Help button.

why 6, what kind of arbitrary nonsense is that.

No newbie ever said “holy ■■■■ that quickbar is full of nonsense, lets remove half of it for no reason so that the quickbar is nice and empty”.

What they DO say is “why the hell is that agency window so fricking massive” and “why is the tutorial so boring”.

1 Like

Just picking an arbitrary threshold there, to let you think about prioritization. As you can see, CCP used 8. The idea is not to put all 30 (or whatever number) buttons on the screen, but only the ones with highest priority.

no you just used used it to try and come over all sensible. Fact is the neocom is there, whether it has buttons on it or not. You don’t GAIN ANYTHING by removing half the buttons from it.

Removing some of them I can understand because it’s not really going to be used by new players, like fleet. But removing the wallet and the others I listed is useless, you gain nothing other than some OCD DEV going “it’s not empty RAAAAAAAGE”.

1 Like

You gain a lot by removing half the buttons.

Does your desktop look like this perhaps?

It’s not like the other buttons are hidden. They are available in the drop down menu.

1 Like

removing icons there frees up space, removing icons from the neocom frees up nothing, as it’s still used… by the empty neocom.

That’s not even REMOTELY the same and the fact that you think it is means you’re pretty much clueless.

1 Like

Removing icons on the desktop does not free up space, the space is still used by the empty desktop. It’s not like there is a hole in your screen when the icon disappears.

1 Like

it’s your workspace, quite the difference. But hey, you’re clueless so what do you know.

I think that between us, I’m the one who has a clue why CCP removed half the buttons.

1 Like

So you’re saying CCP makes well thought out and well tested design choices.

You’re disqualified.

1 Like

I’m only saying they do think about it. Didn’t say anything about how well they think about it, or whether they test it.

But in this case, I agree with their choice.

In all the years I’ve played EVE, I’ve never heard or seen anyone say that they found the number of icons in the toolbar overwhelming. I’ve never seen a thread on any EVE-related social media asking for the number of icons in the toolbor to be reduced. Just like I never saw anyone saying “You know what, I’d really like to see the Agent Finder become less useful than it currently is”. Sometimes CCP just does random stuff like this when there was absolutely no need or reason to.

3 Likes

Lets all kiss the rear end of the elite PvPers by making EvE even harder and more confusing for new players. :roll_eyes: Seriously though… why are you elites even in this thread? I’m sure there is a ganking thread somewhere that needs your attention.

This forum will argue about the stupidest s***.
The fact that the wallet is missing is enough evidence that they goofed. Should be done at that instead of all this back and forth.

Never heard of an mmo where you have to go through two drop down menus to check how much money you have. Most of them have money readily visible in tiny print at the bottom of the screen somewhere.

2 Likes