Please fix toolbar on left side of screen

That’s because the first reaction of newbies won’t be ‘I think there are too many icons on my bar’, but will be ‘where do I find XXX?’ when the amount of icons for them is too many.

I personally threw half the icons off my bar once I figured out I could do so and that those icons were never used. A newbie won’t have the knowledge yet to make good judgement to throw away the icons that are useless for them, because they don’t know yet which icon is important and which one isn’t. A newbie will however be able to make a good choice to put new icons on the bar of activities that they are interested in.

Thus we’re now in a situation where newbies can make their own choice to fill the bar with tools that are useful for them.

1 Like

And you think hiding functions from the interface will reduce the number of times that question is asked?

1 Like

Why should we, it worked the way it was?

This new toolbar is a pain in the ass and nothing more than make work.

I’m surprised to see people defend it.

This is just another case of CCP fixing what was not broken.

3 Likes

I don’t normally engage people like you, especially since you started off with such a terrible, vulgar attitude. You’re acting exactly like a stereotype. Here I am, PH, spending 90% of my time helping newbeans out, and here you are, Brave collective doing everything you can to tear people down for no reason.
That makes me very sad. I expected more, considering the average age of an eve veteran is supposed to be mid 30’s. You can log as many alts as you’d like to type trash, but that wont make you right, nor will it make you look good in any way.
This thread and discussion is about the UI as it relates to new players. If you have nothing of value to input into this discussion, I invite you to take your salty trolling elsewhere.

I’ve been at this game about 7-8 months now, and I remember how intimidating the UI is to learn. I did learn it rather rapidly, but that is probably due more to my education regarding game art and design. I prefer maya products, but have used multiple platforms and engines. Thus, adaptation was much easier for me than it is the typical newbean.
While there is room for discussion about which tab is most useful, the simple fact is; removing the majority of the tabs did a massive disservice to new players. The tutorial sees you using multiple tabs, including the industry tab, within the first hour of game play.
Isk is a vital resource in this game, and the most common question asked in rookie chat is how to make isk. Obviously the answer is to have a diverse skillset for multiple sources of income, but as they are new players, you can’t expect them to do that from day 1. However, as they lose ships and have to replace them, it is fairly important to have immediate access to your available currency.
I get it, the drop down menu is perfectly fine for older players, and may not impact your game play, considering you didn’t have to re-setup your toolbars when the change occurred.
For someone brand new, however, certain aspects of starting out are frustrating. to put nearly all vital information behind several menus is silly, to say the least.
This game is complex. I love that aspect, as will most people that remain in the community for very long. However, the new blood coming into online gaming doesn’t necessarily have the patience to figure everything out.
We’re talking about the difference between people that grew up with the internet becoming commonplace vs. people that have grown up with a well developed internet. Information is immediate for the younger folks, while we had to learn how to find everything ourselves. We’re talking about a difference in age, maturity, and learning process.

The only thing I said about real life, other than the learning curve issue, is that your attitude probably makes your life tough. Sure, i used different language, but the concept doesn’t change. How you display to other people matters. You make the choice to look like a jerk. That isn’t on me, sir. That it entirely on you.

Asking for changes that harm the new player experience to be reverted is not whining or complaining. it is pointing out a flaw in the redesign that has possibly unintended consequences. I am hoping that english is not your first language and that there is just a misunderstanding with word usage and definition. My hope is probably misplaced, and you’re probably just a jerk. Either way.

For a person that is just coming into the game and has no clue what they can and can’t do, what is important and what is just chaff, it is quite difficult.
You are going out of your way to mock and insult new players while simultaneously completely ignoring the actual topic. Anyone with a reasonable attitude would understand, perhaps engage in conversation and probably come away with a better understanding and a baseline for communication with other eve players. The only baseline you’ve created is that you’re toxic and I hardly want to bother to extend the olive branch and engage in civil discourse.

This topic was not created to be a for or against CCP thread. this is just about a redesign that doesnt work as intended, unless the intention was to make the ui more intimidating to new players. The cleanup was not necessary at all.
I now understand why eve has a whole subsection of reddit.

3 Likes

I never ever have used an alt in the forums.

So you and Solecist Project just sort of follow each other and circle jerk all the time?
Setting you to terrible standing in no way makes me yours, female canine or not. You really are just one pathetic loser, arent you.

2 Likes

We indeed do. There are even more sol projects. Look 'm up. I still do not do forum alts. My way of posting should make that abundently clear to anybody.

Ok, I’ll accept that. I sit corrected. So that makes 2 of you that can’t comprehend the topic of the thread. Good to know.

2 Likes

The topic is “whining about CCP”

So there really is a language barrier. Good to know, I’ll let you slide from this point on as someone that doesn’t understand what they’re typing before hitting enter.

Let me apologize for offending you. With the vulgar, shitty attitude you’ve had on here, one would have thought your skin would be slightly thicker. I put you on Terrible because I’ve found your attitude to be in direct contrast to my own, and in my opinion that makes you someone I do not want to make the mistake of associating with.

There was conversation, which you went out of your way to derail and end. All I see now from you is a bit of whining, and a lot of grand standing. I had hoped that yesterday was just a bad day for you, but it’s become clear that you just have a negative outlook.

Good day to you sir.

2 Likes

People don’t even seem to understand that making things “more accessible” and “easier to understand” means that the people who don’t understand it are dumber than the literally hundreds of thousands before them, who had no problem with figuring things out.

So many people in here arguing for getting dumber people into the game, without actually understanding what the ■■■■ they’re trying to achieve. The “more accessible” something becomes, the lower the average IQ will be. “Accessibility” is a “barrier of entry” and the lower it is, the worse everything will be come, because smart people don’t need any of these changes that make things easier to understand. Only dumb people need them.

People not understanding this simple, yet fundamental thing are a part of the problem. They cry for more ISK for noobs, more protection for noobs, making things easier for noobs, not having any ■■■■■■■ clue about what kinds of people they’re actually speaking for.

You’re basically admitting that the world is full of idiots.

You’re speaking for the idiots.

Congratulations!

1 Like

While I agree on the overall dumbing down of the game, over the years, this has nothing to do with it. We always HAD all the icons on the neocom, even with the old colourful one. It’s not like they were added recently to then have them removed again because :no hand holding:.

Apart from that there’s a difference between complexity and deliberately bad design.

2 Likes

Well, yeah. This move is … weird.

Maybe they thought having too many buttons is confusing too much, but they themselves would have made that happen in the first place. When they misinterpreted a study that made them remove the colours of the neocom, they already ■■■■■■ up the neocom.

And they refused to listen to reason and, like childs, insisted on it being a good change pointing at the study they were too incompetent to understand. Maybe now, because they’re too insecure to take any changes back, they’re trying to turn their past mistake into a lesser mistake.

All in all … I don’t know who calls the shots on this, but there’s this insane smell of incompetence dangling in the air, as if someone rather trusted theories and numbers and all tests are always biased towards them.

I don’t know if this particular change is stupid. I think that only having the main buttons out there is just fine. Everything else can and should be looked at by a new player anyway. They could as well just have added the colours back, which would help MASSIVELY.

Yeah, seriously, removing the colours was most likely the predecessor to this change.

What a huge load of incompetence.

2 Likes

Victor

This change has the “feel” of a decision taken by a “pointy-headed manager” or a new/lazy designer.

Either way, someone who thinks “simple = fewer, therefore simplest = fewest possible”.

There’s not much you can do with people who don’t distinguish between a good objective like “simplify for the user and the expected/intended use” and an easily-specified but barely relevant implementation like “reduce the number of things”.

If they cared about the difference, they would not have made the mistake.

I’d be willing to bet at least one coder pointed out this wasn’t the right approach, and was told to “HTFU” /lol.

2 Likes

Created a new toon, not liking the new toolbar.

1 Like

Let me explain right quick.
This video game requires actual money to continue running. Servers that you play on, bandwidth, developers, employees etc… If you expect that this game will continue running with older players leaving, and nobody coming in, you’re mistaken.
You argue against QOL changes, you advocate removal of the few easy to figure out tools, or at least immediate access to said tools. You think I’m the problem because I help new players and advocate for them, that makes you part of the problem. This game will not survive without new blood coming in at a steady pace.

You think people are dumb. Congratulations.
You’ve hit the age where you can’t keep up with younger folks, and you’re stuck in old lines of thinking, and you avert your attention from their intelligence. That doesn’t actually make them dumb. This an old UI that no other game still uses, and they are too young to have seen before. At least, no other game that i’m aware of that has any sort of player base sticks with the windows 98 ui.
Young people drive video games now, buddy. Older folks like us started the trend, but have to pass the torch.
To be clear, in my opinion, this game is not hard. The only difficult part of this game is learning the ui, and recognizing which players are just assholes, and which players are genuine.

1 Like

Wow that’s a really nice collection of canned responses, of which most don’t actually apply to me at all. Not only that, you don’t understand what Quality means.

Can you try again?

1 Like

Well, too bad you completely fail at understanding what I’m saying, otherwise you’d not be so daft to claim I’m only caring about myself. I’m actually waaayyyyy smarter than you, and I know far more about this whole topic than 99% of all people around who keep believing they have any ■■■■■■■ clue about what the ■■■■ is going on! :smiley:

I’ve been at this for almost ten YEARS!
Ten ■■■■■■■ years of watching and learning! :smiley:

You have a nice day too. :blush:

1 Like

Ah, so you’re just trolling at this point.
You win, i fell for a stupid troll. Now I can remedy this and focus on the people that have something relevant to state.

1 Like

Is she acting up again?

See, this is what I get for letting her use the internet instead of sending her off to play on the road, using nails as toys. People love her for that, they always initiate conversations and give her interesting nick names when they see her spreading pink glitter nails on the asphalt.

Yeah, she’s trolling.
Yeah, people deserve it.

What you’re missing is the truth behind the facade and how right she is about how quality matters, while the majority of those who lack quality obviously disagrees. I can’t blame you for not understanding this and i can’t blame you for taking it personally enough to throw this nonsense at her, but seriously…

… look around …
… there’s no point in any of this, because there’s a serious amount of dunning krueger level of ignorance here on these forums and they deserve being treated accordingly.

(on my phone, btw, also i’m making fun of all these anonymous alts who hide their mains while talking ■■■■ out of their rear ends all day)

2 Likes