Please Wait 9 Hours to Give More Likes :psyccp:

Done :+1:

1 Like

Wiki editor badge. People with this badge: Archer, Gerard.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Enough fun, Iā€™m off for now.

@Gerard_Amatin BTW you can ā€œRemove Wikiā€ from your post - you should do that so it doesnā€™t get vandalized. I will do the same on mine. (Looks like wiki history remains visible even after removal of wiki)

Stillā€¦ this will spell the end for the EVE Forumsā€¦ I hate to be a tattle-tale but weā€™ve got to let the big boys know

:red_circle::red_circle::red_circle:

@ISD @ISD_Chuggypeg @ISD_Lord_Arranoth @ISD_Buldath @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode @CCP_Aurora @CCP_Dopamine Code Red! As you all know the forums have been bugging out lately. Some of us have newfound powers that we should not be trusted withā€¦ we can turn our posts into wikis which enable ANYONE to edit our posts (zero access control, but at least there is a notification) and ZERO ability to delete or revert versions. So far only Gerard and I have discovered and used this feature (reference https://forums.eveonline.com/badges/48/wiki-editor). Kindly disable it ASAP or else the forums go to ā– ā– ā– ā– .

We do, however, appreciate the new ā€œRegularā€ badge and ability to assign it to ourselves as a title. Weā€™d like it if more badges were available as titles (Iā€™d like Aficionado, Xeux would like Empathetic, etc) :grin:

1 Like

You mean we reguars arenā€™t meant to have this kind of power? :thinking:

I donā€™t want to be regular I want to be irregular

Hey!

I can confirm that this is an intended feature, though I am uncertain if this change was meant to go live yet.
I know some tweaks were being made last night (like limits).

Iā€™m confirming with CCP on this one and weā€™ll update the thread once we have a definitive answer.

As always, the feedback is appreciated and weā€™ll review the particular feature youā€™re concerned about.

1 Like

This is not a good feature. Given the lack of access control and version deletion/reversion, this is a very very very very very bad feature.

Donā€™t make us prove it :grimacing:

You run out of likes after about 5-10 likes. Who comes up with this shyte?

2 Likes

Hey, why put a limit on the maximum number of likes? I mean, is there a problem with people giving out too many likes that needs to be addressed?

I donā€™t know how often I normally go above 10, but Iā€™m sure that Iā€™ve had days where I have -especially in threads where a lively debate over a change is taking place. In fact, I sometimes not only like to give likes to the posts which best reflect my opinions or values, but Iā€™ll sometimes even give likes to posts of the opposing side because I feel they reflect a valid concern and/or contribute to the conversation. I know, crazy; right?

Anyway, I donā€™t know what this is meant to accomplish, but I donā€™t like it. I donā€™t want to have to be stingy with my likes, or have to go back through previously liked posts in order to free up likes. Itā€™s silly. Our community has no limit on the number of helpful, supportive, insightful, and/or constructive posts that they can generate in a day. So, why put a limit on our ability to like them?

Also, Iā€™m not sure that giving out forum powers based on how frequently a user visits is the best idea. Itā€™s like trusting Johnny Sins with your wife just because heā€™s always coming to your house.

1 Like

I like it.

I guess wiki edit access is only available for ā€˜regularā€™ forum members? ā†’ Edit: seems any trust lvl 1 member can edit wikis made by regulars.

There are only about 400 right now of those. The name will be visible in the wiki history so abuse is easily traced. And if someone changes all contents of a wiki page you can see the previous versions in the history to copy paste back the previous version, so thatā€™s not a big issue.

And like you said before: itā€™s possible to close wiki mode to stop people from editing the pages any further.

I donā€™t think this will be abused as much as you think.

Everyone who has no Veteran next to their name is a filthy casual :stuck_out_tongue:

:smirk:

:dealwithitparrot:

Havenā€™t you heard? EVE is in a shortage phase right now, to reduce the amount of ISK, minerals and likes entering the game.

2 Likes

It seems amount of likes you can give is determined by your trust level:

Also it seems we can lose our ā€˜regularā€™ status if we donā€™t read enough. :scream:

If thatā€™s what CCP intends to do with these forums than itā€™s even worse than having volunteer ISD moderators.

Now for the thread topic:

When I first logged into the forums today, I got a 5 hr wait to dispense LIKES after I dispensed my first LIKE.

After that timer expired I started giving LIKES and in less than a dozen LIKES I received another message for a 3 hr wait.

After that timer expired I was only allowed to dispense less than half a dozen LIKES and now have a 13 hr wait.

This is a very good way to discourage forum activity.

3 Likes

There was some forum update and things are now a bit different.

Everyone can hide his profile from public.

That option was always available.

Ah, I noticed it just now.

But I also got some titles, that I thought I already had.

Good morning everyone! So, this is what I get for pushing buttons at midnight and going to sleep :sweat_smile:

To explain a bit about whatā€™s going on: Discourse (this forum software) offers a lot of tools and power which we havenā€™t been making use of. Iā€™ve been talking about experimenting with taking us back a bit closer to the default recommended settings to see how things will go. This means enabling certain things like trust-levels and placing a limit on likes.

I will admit I didnā€™t intend to open the floodgates last night, apparently tweaked the wrong setting which enabled you guys to jump up in trust levels really quick. While this wasnā€™t intended to happen just yet I may just leave it for a while and see how things go, spinning dials as necessary and stressing out the ISD staff.

So, a few points from the above discussion.

Likes: Likes are intended to be limited and highlight that content which you feel is valuable. I may have spun the dial on this a little too low and the cap can be tweaked. Part of the reason likes are limited is because they factor into trust level rankings, so your rank needs to be properly earned by making quality comments (as much fun as the like and get likes thread is). Weā€™re not going to police how you guys use likes, but there will be a cap to keep in mind. Higher trust levels get access to more daily likes than lower trust levels. Itā€™s actually been a consideration to potentially wipe all old likes from the system to start fresh with this in mind which may or may not happen at this point.

Wiki: Iā€™ve turned this off for now - Iā€™m interested in hearing discussion if you think such a feature would be valuable. What this does is allow high trust users to make their post a Wiki which can be editable by anyone whoā€™s at trust level 1 or higher (can be changed). Iā€™m not sure it was obvious enough what was going on with this however which is why Iā€™ve turned it off.

Badges: Some new badges are popping up. These are default ones that simply had never been enabled, Iā€™ve turned them on simply because they looked like fun. Not a bug, just some freshly enabled default badges which had been turned off.

As far as all of this and forum settings go Iā€™m happy to hear feedback. This may wind up being only a time limited experiment or perhaps weā€™ll keep some parts and not others - but I think there may be some value in trying new things here and myself and the ISDs will keep a close eye on emerging issues so we can hop on those as they pop up. If anyone at a high trust level wants to abuse the system we will just lock you down to trust level 1 and youā€™ll lose the ability to climb the ranks again.

8 Likes

I havenā€™t hit any like limit yet. But I measure forum activity in reading and responding, which is not limited in any way. Likes are reserved for good posts only.

Also did my title just change? Iā€™m a Veteran now instead of Regular!

1 Like

I just renamed the Regular title to Veteran.

1 Like