Potential Fix for WHers for the 500mn HIC

I’ve gone out of my way to reach out to WHers on a variety of issues. I gave the devs a seven page document of proposed changes and things to help out WHers that I cobbled together from hours of conversations I’ve had with folks since I was elected.

As I said before and I will keep saying, I am a pisspoor WH representative on this CSM compared to somebody who lives and works in wormholes everyday, but I’m all you guys have got. Nobody else gives a ■■■■. So you’re stuck with me until the next election.

We can either work together, or you can tell me to go ■■■■ myself and then you’ve got nobody.

It’s up to you.

2 Likes

Since it’s clear that this idea isn’t going to ameloriate the problem, I’m going back to advocating for a script that provides the same benefit as now. We’ll see how this goes.

5 Likes

Much appreciated, let us know how that suggestion goes. Something like that script should theoretically allow the mechanics to remain the same for us (short of the pretty bubble effects we get right now while puffing wormholes). Do remember that we need to be able to use about four of those scripts all at the same time (assuming it has the same effect on mass as current bubbles do).

They will of course have to make sure that script doesn’t somehow get abused to keep doing the lurch HIC trick. I could imagine someone loading it up and then firing off the same old trick with it. Maybe disallow its use with any other scripts (or using the module unscripted).

And I’m not sure everything you’ve suggested to CCP so far, but there have been a lot of other good suggestions about speed penalties to bubbles, or giving a huge fitting penalty to 500mn on HICs, so don’t forget about those if this one doesn’t work out.

The easiest way to prevent lurching is to make each script give -80% mass, -90% max velocity, and -99.9% bubble radius. You still get good agility, but your max velocity is so low that it doesn’t matter, and the non-zero bubble radius (or similar self-disrupting effect) prevents you from using the script to instawarp by boosting agility.

Why any bubble at all?

To prevent the HIC from warping while it’s up (so that it can’t use the script for any sort of insta-align shenanigans)

Any effect that prevents you from warping, is really what I meant. -99.9% bubble radius was the simplest way I could think of to achieve that. If you don’t have anything like that, then you can use hics to instawarp; press warp, immediately hit all 4 scripted bubbles, your mass drops to nill and your align time goes to zero. Any effect on the script (self-infinipoint, tiny bubble radius, etc) that accomplishes that would be fine.

I’d like apologize for my comment in the other thread. I was frustrated at the change (and the context around it) and at the non-answer to parts of the question, but that’s no reason to be rude. I really do appreciate that you’ve responded to our concerns about this issue, and that you’re trying to help make the game better.

2 Likes

Eh, it just needs to add a self-scram effect for that, which it would need to do anyway in order to instantly deactivate the MWD. Otherwise, it only warps when the MWD completes its cycle.

That would be okay as it would still let 100mn prop mods work, but I have used the occasional 500mn rolling HIC, which can be nice (gets you back to the hole quickly). It’s not critical to be able to do a 500mn rolling HIC, but it would be nice to keep available if possible.

You could still use a 500mn rolling hic, you just can’t use the prop while the bubble’s up, which is mostly fine.

Oh you’re right, that’s a good point. I was thinking of frig hole rolling.

Yeah, frig hole rolling would be the domain of 100mn HICs and porpoises. I’m ok with small nerfs to frigate hole rolling, they’re the last thing regarding wormhole rolling that is Actually Hard To Deal With.

Heh, that’s actually why I don’t want any nerfs to frig hole rolling. They are a gigantic pain the butt that are really only worth doing during evictions to keep the enemy from insta-ceptoring in pilots. And even with four pods and two HICs, they still takes upwards of half an hour to roll if you do it right…

But that’s fine, 100mn would still work fine for frig hole rolling with those scripts.

The real solution here, is to nerf rolling HICs, but buff recruit-a-friend.
I think this is the optimum solution for everyone, because not only does it add more tedium to the game, it also forces the people who have smoother braines to swipe their credit card more often just to compete, which is good for CCP.
I would like to see a world where killing a crit hole REQUIRED getting rolled out, so as people would require at least 8 rolling alts a piece to realistically roll, and so stop moving into garbage areas like lowclass wormholes, and I would finally be free to go and live in null!

An alternate addition to it, would be to stop rolling HICs, but to allow for capitals to jump lowclass holes, purely so we can access rolling FAXs instead.

Thanks for a great change CCP, I hope you can finally kill wormholes this time.

Are we going to get a strawpoll on this?

@Brisc_Rubal Ok, serious suggestion here.
HICs are the only class that can fit Warp Disruption Field Generator, right?
These modules need 45tf to 55tf of CPU.
Compact 500MN MWD (the one that uses less CPU) uses 64tf. 100MN AB uses 45tf.

A simple solution would be to reduce the CPU fitting requirements of the Warp Disruption Field Generator to, say, 1tf, and reduce HICs CPU resources accordingly in a way that is very penalysing to use a 500MN MWD or 100MN AB.

I’m not saying this is a final solution but it is much more elegant that the currently proposed one. Does anyone see a reason this solution would not solve both issues?

Edit: Just realised HICs would lose 50M tons of mass when rolling (100M tons with Higgs rig), so does anyone have a suggestion for this?

Edit 2: Maybe reduce in such a way that 500MN MWD could not be fitted but 100MN AB could?

1 Like

Looking at the modules/fits again, I think modifying the powergrid would be better.
Modify Warp Disruption Field Generator to use 1MW powergrid instead of 76MW, and reduce 3*75MW form the HICs, maybe more (that is Balance Team’s job though).

Would that constrain regular fits too much?

I think it would restrict any sort of combat fittings too much, and people quite often throw guns on their HICs for small gang stuff.

I think what you’re looking for was in an earlier suggestion, which was create a massive PG penalty to 500mn MWDs on HICs. Increase their PG requirements 1000% or something silly that would make them unfit-able. Seemed reasonable to me, but I’m not sure what came of that suggestion.

At the moment they are looking into a script that would lower the mass of the HIC for rolling purposes.

Creating “special cases” are not a good design strategy and CCP avoids this as much as possible. Changing powergrid/CPU would not create any special case, but I see it becoming too restrictive for atual useful fits.