Project NOVA so hyped!

Also this sounds pretty damn amazing and their concept very convincing.

Yeah but we are talking about a CCP project here. So as long as I haven’t seen the stuff in an actual game I don’t believe a thing they write.

2 Likes

Please give chribba only a veldspar mining hand drill as a weapon and nothing else!

3 Likes

And mining rags and a helmet with a head-light instead of a dropsuit. Would be hilarious.

2 Likes

did i miss something? is this gonna be ps3 exclusive or pc as well? will this be a pay to play?

sounds cool, I love fps stuff… still think bf4 is one of the more fun games to play, this would be nice.

i love being able to walk around out in space and see your ship, planets, stations, as if you were literally planet or station side… etc. would be cool if they had missions where you could board ships as well and there was a ship hull environment… Im sure there are thousands of ideas you all are throwing around. I hope it all works out for you and that the fps thing becomes a solid integral part of Eve Online.

2 Likes

Meh…

It will be a Windows PC exclusive sais the email. Will hopefully be able to play it on Linux with wine though.

1 Like

how well is Eve thru wine? I havent attempted to get Eve running on my linux machine…

Works 100% for me, I play EVE on Linux for over 10 years now. Can’t compare it to windows performance wise, but I guess there is some serious overhead.

3 Likes

I think they should merge NOVA forums (if there will be any) with EVE forums. Make something like official CCP forums.

The rest like SPARC or Valkyrie forums were discontinued, probably people didnt talk too much there. Tho I remember DUST forums being very long active after the game closed.

2 Likes

sounds interesting been waiting for it since they showed off project legion at fanfest in 2014

hoping for some deep progression, customization, and good game play. Sounds like they are focusing on those so hoping for good things.

As you may have gathered, we are making a slower, more tactical shooter with higher time to kill; a game that rewards planning and communication equally as much as reflexes and twitch ability.

There’s a handful of ways to balance around this description, some well result in pretty frustrating game play, some that sound like it could be the game I’ve always wanted to play. So definitely looking forward to more news and eventually getting my hands on it.

1 Like

“Hey guys maybe we should upgrade the horribly outdated cringe worthy excuse for a physics engine where ships crash into objects and other massive starships at top speed and bounce off like a rubber ball? We will take our EvE profits and put them back into the game that generated them and build a physics engine where NPC ships do not fly through objects, weapons do not fire through objects and scans do not penetrate objects!” -t. Hard working CCP employee who actually plays and loves EvE

“NO that’s a terrible idea, instead lets take the EvE profits and throw some bright green skins into the cash shop, and redirect the rest of the profits to make another sure to fail dumpster fire money pit like Dust, Valkyrie, Project Legion! Kids LOVE shooters and consoles, and we need to monetize the EvE brand name.”
-t. EA executive hired by CCP probably

well tbh, I had an idea for multiboxers… to get a discount on multiple omega account holders… lol maybe the profits can go there? as if,

1 Like

With $$$M spend for WoD, DUST 514 and SPARC and Valkyrie, they would make EVE like we have never seen it. Even Star Citizen would be crushed under the immense playability and scope of EVE. All those people spending thousand of dolars for ships would be coming to EVE to pay subs to fly Vultures, I mean Ventures. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Who else wants to fly spaceships in Project Nova? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The failure with Dust was attributed in some part to the platform but to be fair that was more to do with the expectations of Eve players. Dust attracted standard FPS players as well, but ultimately the straw that broke the camel’s back wasn’t the fact that it was on PS3, it was the fact it was designed in a PC/slower gameplay mindset. Shooter games are intentionally designed to be extremely fast paced with meaningful team play. To put it quite simple, other shooter games are fun and Dust wasn’t. It was boring, the maps were way too large forcing players to interact less. The shooting was hit or miss with most of the time being inaccurate. Another issue is the progression system. Typically shooters do not progress in such an elaborate and complex fashion, there were as many skill trees and branches as EVE but the interface made them seem convoluted.

Also, the texture and graphics were just garbage, even for a PS3 game. The game was graphically akin to a PS2 game; and the interaction between EVE and Dust felt very much a one way affair. Playing in Dust you didn’t get the feeling you had any impact in EVE, part of this reason was restricting affects to FW to just one region, but being able to shoot down an EVE ship before it made its orbital strike would have made a difference as well.

Will Nova experience the same issues? Maybe not. I imagine the graphics and textures will be up to par with the hardware, I think CCP really scaled that back in Dust from fear that it would set PS3s on fire or something, but they did make improvements later toward the end when they realized the platform could handle it. I still think the progression system is something that will not attract most shooters who dont play EVE. Realistically I see Nova launching with tons of new players but I imagine at least 2/3rds of those players who also do not play EVE will most likely quit in the first year. If CCP creates a subscription then it may help retain some players, another big big issue in Dust was the F2P micro trans model. It’s akin to downloading a free game on your phone only to realize that while you CAN play it for free, you can’t play it to its full potential unless you drop cash, then you get battle lines being drawn between those paying money to get better equipment and scaring away other players because they don’t want to invest in the game. If CCP kills the micro trans model and picks up a similar model to EVE, it will help keep players around…but to be honest with you, the PS3 is NOT why Dust failed…it was just a badly designed game.

7 Likes

This will bring the number of CCP flops to what, now?

Never stop trying…

Imagine if all those projects money and manpower were actually put into, oh I don’t know, EvE Online?

3 Likes

It doesn’t always work like this. More isn’t always better, but it first has to make sense. Then there are the developers themselves, who will be full of ideas and bursting with creativity, yet you want them tied down to serve only one game. Working always just on the same game will make young devs leave at some point, because there is just so much more and different things to do.

3 Likes