Project NOVA so hyped!

Then they’d only have the one game, and if it ever went out of favour they’d be screwed.

Any game company needs more than one product in it’s stable, so CCP keep trying until they find one that sticks.

5 Likes

Problem is they treat their new games just like every EvE expansion/addition. Hype the ■■■■ out of it and a few months later they don’t wanna do anything more on it becaus eit didn’t “wow” everyone or they just flat grew bored. I seriously think the entire dev team has ADD issues. Look how many new systems and gameplay additions they’v added to EvE over the years, only to just up and abandon them, or even remove them entirely because they just don’t feel like working on them anymore. There’s a reason CCP’s reputation has fallen over the years, both for its players and in the general gaming community.

And if it’s not the devs, but the higher ups like Helmar, then how long do you expect the devs to even put any effort into anything if they know it’s likely to just be abandoned after a few months? That would in fact explain a lot lately, though.

At this point, it wouldn’t surprise me if they make these new games solely for the quick cash grab through pre-order/release and then a nice tax write off when they can it after the money stops trickling.

Of course they also attempted https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/287330/Eve_Online_dev_CCP_Games_is_on_the_selling_block_says_new_report.php https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-09/eve-online-owners-said-to-weigh-game-maker-sale-after-approaches , and apparently failed since they’re still here, to sell EvE Online in 2016. So their commitment to the game since has been questionable anyway.

This year was 15 years anniversary. Who know? Just saying. :smirk:

It is still majority of their income, year by year. Like huuge, huuuge portion of their income.

But it needs new things to be relevant. Expansions enlarging its playerbase would be the best.

1 Like

And then after implementing that physics engine tq3 catches fire in a 50 man fleet fight.

1 Like

Apparently to the detriment of the one successful product they have. :psyccp:

2 Likes

…to the detriment of the one successful product that sticked. Actually.

1 Like

Sometimes you need to take one step back in order to go two steps forward. Not claiming that this is such a case, but EVE, from a business point of view, is stagnating. I’m not saying that it is dying, but it surely isn’t growing enough to stay profitable over long time.

Stagnation might be okay from the point of view of a stable and loyal playerbase, but for a business, it’s not. CCP tried to introduce more ways to monetize the game and maybe to some success, economically speaking. I don’t know how much SKINs and SP trading influenced their sales, but I don’t think it could ever be enough to substitute for a longterm grow (even a slow one) in numbers of players to increase overall revenue.

Maybe they just didn’t have enough ressources to throw at EVE in order to turn the tide. EVE players are extremely resistant to change and that certainly doesn’t make it an easier job to plan for future growth.

Just guessing here, but it may be that all the layoffs of the past had to happen for the company to free up ressources and sideline the stalemate they found themselves in. In that case we shouldn’t ■■■■■, but hope that Project NOVA is a huge success. If so, CCP might finally have the ressources to invest into EVE again. You know, if you find that you could anyway only be investing too little (and that’s something we cannot really assess in detail), it might be the better choice to spare even more on expenses, try to profit elsewhere and then, after you are able to break that treshold, you can do what you actually want to do with the game.

In that regard, it may be, just may be, a better idea to support Project NOVA as an EVE player, advertise for it, take part in the hype rather than be prematurely salty. The survival and future prosperity of EVE might depend on it.

3 Likes

CQ, Evelopedia, EVE Gate, Jukebox, In game browser, agent finder,

2 Likes

I could argue that it may take more than one step… but I can’t stop looking at Michael. You win.

1 Like

Here I must agree with you. CCP have very big BUSSINES challenges. To overcome that challenges ccp must do one of thees:

• make more money from EVE
  • make money from new game

to make more money from EVE ccp must make EVE attractive for new players, and EVE is in current state “new players slaughterhouse” and that is less likely to happen, ( big space battles in EVE are big joke in gamers community today )

to raise his price and value ccp try to look as “technology Company” and would like to create new hi-tec game as new source of revenue, but there is a problem, now there is hard competition in that field all around the world, and ccp offer too little to their development department ( this is how NOT to attract good developers: 50skills Careers )

ccp solution: cut the expanses and hope very very very much that some cheap try ( Nova or War of ascension or … ) will stick

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

War of ascension already soft-launched, looks like CCP need beta testers that would pay for testing using microtransactions.

hope is the only thing left for ccp … they already opened pandora box

From the CCP Consolidated Financial Statements:

2016 2017
Revenue 86,1 65,4
Income 21,4 3,4

*all numbers in millions of USD.

Its because they had sales for Valkyrie and Gunjack in 2016, and VR was all the rage back then.
Then in 2017 VR hype calmed down, CCP had to make Valkyrie available on PC and had to lay off teams. Staff went down from 360 people to 298, year to year.

2 Likes

Pandora’s Box would make an excellent name for another sandbox game by CCP. For many, including myself, has EVE been nothing but a Pandora’s Box.

1 Like

Where did you get those numbers for 2017? They are really not looking that great.

1 Like

From CCP Consolidated Financial Statements they filed at the Directorate of Internal Revenue in Iceland.

Their revenue doesnt look so bad actually, on par with the previous years before 2016. 2016 was atypical because of their VR releases.

1 Like

As faar as i remember from 2013 - 2015 ccp was in deep financial trouble and year 2016 was “saviour” year which bring new hope for ccp. That was a year when other two ccp founders sold rest of their shares, and from founder circle only Hillmar still have ccp shares. If ccp get back to 2015. financial numbers then ccp is in trouble.

http://marketsforisk.blogspot.com/p/ccp-financials-my-attempt.html this is how it looked before 2017

Exactly if we exclude one-year-wonders like Valkyre and Dust then we have:

74.2 67.2 58.6 58 65

some advance but still way below 2013. so from 2013. we have constant downhill, in my company head will role long ago !!!

The bottom line is also important. Would this be the EBTIDA in the sheet? Economics at university is 20 years ago … :wink: