Public transport services

Value and meaning? “Warp drive active” for 30m-1h? That’s really tedium and boredom, sir. It’s like grinding exp, or some in game currency, except for hauling stuff there’s really no reward at the end of the tunnel. A long boring tunnel.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to change it. I’m sure there are some ludicrous ideas about removing stargates and other nonsense. I’m not going to sugar coat hauling my life around New Eden, though. It’s goddamn awful.

So is mining. Or mission running. Or arranged pvp.

Why doesn’t the game just add isk to my wallet and download ore into my hangar?

The journey matters. Not getting instant rewards matters.

Well that can’t be true. Otherwise why are you doing it?

In the op’s case the reward is bounties and lp and whatever else he gets from running the missions. But the journey doesn’t start when he accepts the mission. It starts when he decides he wants to run missions and presses ‘set destination’. And thats where the interactions start too.

1 Like

So let’s get rid of those activities and just tie those rewards to warping through stargates. Sound like good gameplay to you? Of course not. There’s a difference. The journey is a slog through the dirt in a game that’s far too large compared to it’s content.

I die a little inside any time someone refers to “8 or 11 jumps” as long distance. That’s not an exceptionally hard amount of distance to cover and doesn’t even take an inordinate amount of time with a not-so-fast ship like an exhumer.

4 Likes

I do 30+ jumps on a regular basis 2 -3 times per week damn glad my battleship has been upgraded to 3 au
makes life a little easier, i never go afk and always jump from gate to gate to minimise any potential hostilities. If i’m moving mining equipment then my bowhead takes center stage even though it’s slower in warp although its bloody quick at getting into warp, same applies never go afk always jump gate to gate. My freighter is just slow plain and simple.

@Szkarlatyna

hmm … 15 jumps is not really far …

1st. you could store your stuff for missions in the mission hub … i do that
2nd. jumpclones are very helpful … its instant travle
3rd. well nothing more to say … problem solved … you are welcome

JuuR

2 Likes

@everyone who latched onto those 15 jumps … You all know what an EXAMPLE is right ? Travel from A to B without bulls*it. That was the clue.

Anyway.
How about this: jump as many systems at a time as your cap capacity allows ?

How about this: Let’s not make the game world artificially feel smaller when the scope and scale of the in-game universe is one of EVE’s major draws. Fast travel is cancer and has destroyed too many other MMORPG worlds’ sense of presence.

3 Likes

Be glad you have warp. And jump gates. Jump gates have a median length of about one light-year. That’s a long time to warp. Longer to slow-boat.

On a more productive note, the tyranny of distance forces players to make choices, and those choices give rise to the large scale structure of the game and the economy. If travel were instantaneous, sovereignty would be meaningless.

Now if only I can get CCP to add meaningful time-based contracts. This would organically give rise to interest rates, adding whole new layers of value to all activities.

There isn’t really. It’s a time sink with a reward at the end.

Some players like mining. Some players like playing space trucker. But it all adds depth and meaning.

I think it is wise to build copies of ships. Either to allow you to travel between hotspots or to make sure you dont undock what you cant afford to lose. Or both ofc.

I have copies of every missionship I ever had. I also keep their predecessors “alive”. So I kept the fully fitted Ravens when I updraded to a CNRs. All are now over 10 years old and might need some work before I can undock any of them. But blowing up both my current Machs will not stop me from running lvl4 missions.
I also kept multiple copies of nullsec doctrineships and different ships for different roles.
The downside is not having massive amounts of ISK. For me having all my ‘wealth’ in fitted ships has worked perfectly tho.

I’m against fast travel because it smells too much like “solo-mode”. While I’m travelling somebody might be collecting his/her friends and setting up a trap. MMO ftw!
Besides; half of the interceptors are already a good way to “simply” travel.

1 Like

In null you can have those fancy green line gate things which allow you to instant jump from system to system omitting star gates. So in some form it is allredy there. Why there is no such thing in HiSec ? This could be a great opportunity for new ISK sink.

1 Like

yes we do indeed have haulers, they are flown by real players, those ships have warp speeds, they also must use the gates.

character haulers, sure thing, but, they are flown by real players, those ships have warp speeds just like every other ship in game, they also must use the gates just like everyone else.

i know you want fast travel :wink: you really do, just a click away from your destination :smirk:

nope, how about you play the game and not try to change it.

1 Like

It’s supposed to be. The fact that space has size is pretty critical to every other system in the game.

Plan better and you’ll struggle with it less.

1 Like

It will not be an ISK sink at all. Speaking as an industrialist, if you remove travel, you remove a major risk factor from the game. I no longer have to risk my DST or Blockade Runner, packed with billions in materials. I will just jump around the pipe systems and be completely safe.

What about roaming fleets? Imagine ganking fleets just jumping between ice mining systems instantly, instead of having to organise their efforts.

What about war targets moving around carefully - if you could just jump across multiple systems, it just adds more safety to the game.

If I could just jump from my local to Jita and back again, I wouldn’t bother playing for long, since you have removed all the challenge. You cannot balance a major game mechanic like this. Sure, long runs are annoying, particularly in something like a freighter. But the journey introduces a large part of the sandbox element, bunny hopping across multiple systems would hurt the game far more than it helps.

@Castor_RainesWait, aren’t there special cynos just for that ? And jump freighters ?

I’m not talking about cargo transport. No no. I’m talking about character transportation from A to B not carrying any valuables of any sort.

So… Jump clones? Because we already have jump clones.

3 Likes

I have to say i quite enjoy the 20 - 30 minutes jumping through systems listening to the eve music.

If you had instant travel (Which as many people have said is clone jumping which is exactly what you are looking for) think of all of the interesting conversations you would miss while on the journey. Some days there is silence, some days tears after someone has been ganked. Some days its just complete BS people are talking, but all of these things would be missed if you had instant travel. It can be very entertaining at times, all because this is an mmo and suprisingly people can interact…

2 Likes

Um.

Station your mission running ship and a jump clone at the hub…

–Gadget teleports

Space is BIG.

–Obvious Gadget