PvP vs bullying

Censured

bullying is anything that involves a targeted series of harassment on a player or group of players by another/s.

This doesn’t just include physical attacks, but also psychological attacks, like demanding isk with the treat of harassment if isk or items not handed over to the bullying party. We can all think of a few corps that use this and call it role playing as a method to bypass the rules on bullying.

Remember bullying comes in many different forms.

Defining Bullying

Whether bullying is physical, verbal, or social (relational), four widely-accepted factors can be used to identify it:

• Bullying is deliberate - harming another person intentionally
  • Bullying involves a misuse of power in a relationship
  • Bullying is usually not a one-off - it is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated over time
  • Bullying involves behaviour that can cause harm - it is not a normal part of growing up.

Bullying can happen anywhere, in person or online (cyberbullying), at any time, and can be verbal, physical or social (relational). It can be obvious or hidden.

Kids who bully use their power — such as physical strength, knowing something embarassing, or popularity — to control or harm others. Bullying is when one student (or a group of students) keeps picking on another student again and again to make them feel bad. They say or do things to upset them, make fun of them, stop them from joining in, or keep hitting or punching them.

What is not bullying?

Bullying is a word often used to describe behaviour that is not actually bullying — not all verbal or physical aggression is bullying. For example:

• a one-off fight or argument, or difference of opinion between friends where there is no power imbalance and they can sort it out between themselves
  • not liking someone or a single act of social rejection
  • one-off acts of meanness or spite
  • isolated incidents of aggression, intimidation or violence
  • using sexist or racist terms but doesn’t mean to cause harm
  • theft: taking someone else’s things once is theft but not necessarily bullying.

These other behaviours may be just as upsetting and serious, but may need to be dealt with in a different way. You will need to use your judgment to decide whether or not a specific incident is bullying.

Yes i have a bit to do with this topic through work.

4 Likes

I bolded the part that is important in all of this. No people are harmed by the removal of pixels. It’s a game.

4 Likes

This is nonsense. Destroying other people’s property against their will is outright criminal, not bullying. Anyone doing that should be sent to jail right away. How can everybody not see this?

4 Likes

straight_to_jail

4 Likes

Except in this case the missing component is “Is the interaction optional/concensual?

2 Likes

I totally agree. CCP should alert the local police to the issues and hopefully the offender will not only have all his computer gear seized but also spend 3-6 weeks in jail…

Wont somebody think of the poor minors!

7 Likes

Well you have to think about the eve player, some take things every personal.

And also think not about bullying in a physical sense, take the above comment into account, bullying can and has caused real world harm to some. We’ve all heard of account of players going crazy over thing happening to them in games, to the point of killing others or themselves.

So bullying has real world affects for some. The older generation players have common sense and know when to walk away, cool down and clear their heads.
But sadly the younger generations don’t seem to have that ability these days.

1 Like

Re-read it, the second line covers that. Have remember this is based on a school example of bullying, so you will have to take that into account and re-word for different environments.

But the context is correct, as that is an government based guideline for schools.

Yeah but if some people can’t handle setbacks in games or worse still can’t distinguish between reality and make believe that’s on them not random internet strangers to sort out

4 Likes

Here’s one guys setup:

Here’s the other guys setup:

Guy 1: I’m going to pvp you
Other guy: Stop, you’re bullying me

If it stays in game and within the rules of the game, there isn’t any bullying going on between two nerds who are there by choice and who have the complete power to end interaction at any time.

It doesn’t compare to the school yard.

The difficulty occurs when people can’t separate real life from the game.

5 Likes

Just look at some of those agro fortnite player videos on youtube is a good example of what you’re saying.

Don’t think you fully understand bullying.

My partner is involved in bullying and harrassment cases in business and government. The last one is worse than anything you could think of, and in most cases its making the victim bow to the bully, and in some cases its got so bad the victim commits suicide. And there no physical abuse, just mental harrassment and undermining the victims self being and morals to the point of breaking. This can go on for years, and you can see the effect physically on the victim, yet the bully hasn’t layed a finger on the victim.

So all i can say is you can think what was posted and shown as having no comparison to game play, but just know there’s a lot more to bullying than most will ever know.

Also think of all the cases of cyber bullying, in most cases the bully has never meet the victim physically only in social media environment, no different from any game situation.

You must be an expert then. My apology.

Actually, if you read what I wrote in full, and still equate that with bullying, then don’t play this game.

If someone plays fully within the rules and keeps everything in game, there is no bullying. The game is a fulltime pvp in a sandbox environment.

PVP is not bullying. It’s the game.

3 Likes

True they can leave the game, but as noted futher up the topic it was noted that some of the younger generation can’t dissociate themselves from a game.

And i later on talked about the youtube videos showing examples of fortnite players raging over dying ingame.

So you think just pvp’ing someone in EVE is bullying by default?

Get out of here.

1 Like

It’s very hard to debate you as you keep moving the goalposts (gaming, social media, schools, corporate) as well as you keep appealing to your authority on the matter (my partner).

Of course there is a tiny problem of bullying in EVE…just like in every aspect of life. While I have sympathy and totally endorse people seeking help, the net you seem to be casting is pretty huge…and that is wrong.

1 Like

No if you actually read what i posted, i have nothing against pvp players, i actual have many that roam pvp and fleet pvp.

But there is another group that use the pvp aspect of eve (and this is true for others games) to get a high offer tormenting, harassing and bullying other players.

I’ve seen some chat logs where such players have actual told the victim they will continue to chase and kill the player till they physically leave the game. And yes this does happen.

Also kindly reframe from getting personal, as i have no issues of flagging people in the forums for starting harrassment of others, when they don’t agree with what been said. I’m not warning you, just advising you…

That is also simply a tactic in EVE too BTW…don’t assume that there isn’t bigger plays at work.

So then why didn’t YOU tell that person about the block function? You know, EVE’s built in anti-bullying feature (for local)?

Good lord…

Wow…

2 Likes

Mate, if you are going to immediately go down the path of making claimis about my understanding, then HTFU and expect to take it back just the same. Don’t be so hypocritical.

You didn’t even read what I wrote before claiming I didn’t understand, becuase you have “expertise by association” going on. It’s a pvp game and pvp is not bullying. Keep it within the rules and within the game.

Anything else, no matter who it is, isn’t wanted in the game (as per the EULA). You can’t just single out one group, because if it’s the group I think you mean, they take far more abusive messages, even just for being present in local, than they have involvement in. All of that behaviour deserves to be called out, not just one group.

2 Likes