Question about Echelon

That is how its done until you can use a cov ops cloak.

In my astero I have a sub 2sec align so when hacking I always keep at 3km from the can and am always watching scan and overview as I hack. In this manner you can cloak as soon as a banker decloaks and warp off usually before he can do anything. The worst case is when you get bumped as he decloaks then aligning takes a bit longer but there is still a 5sec delay on starting lock with anything but a stealth bomber and usually that’s enough to get out unless you misclick in the excitement.

I didn’t know of the delay, thanks!

Well, I can’t use cloaks because I’m an alpha clone, but if there is a 5 seconds delay I should be able to get away if I see it istantly, right? My Heron has a 3.51s warp time.

Unless you get bumped as a common engagement tactic for cloakies is to approach target and at 2500m when you decloak hit prop mod and bump while you try to lock. If you get bumped then you spend longer realigning and as a result may still be caught. But it at least gives you a little chance. If its a stealth bomber they do not suffer from this 15sec delay and can lock you immediately.

Not sure if this was mentioned as I didnt read all the replies, but the data analyser is literally the only thing you can fit, not even a prop mod, so you will need to slow bloat to all the cans

That will not save you from cloaked smartbombers. They can literally roll their entire rack of smartbombs within the opening second of uncloaking. Some of the T3 cruisers can do this.

Yea I have seen some videos of that but its not common to find. Its a very niche fit, so chances are you’ll hit a 1000 dps blaster proteus than a smart bombing one.

Now I have question too. Wasn’t the Echelon impervious to Incursion Sanshas and required to hack that logi tower in a vanguard or hq site?

Yeah, that’s an issue too.

Anyway, I’ve decided not to bother, due to something that happened to me.

Two days ago, I had just got in a Wormhole from a pretty peaceful Lowsec system and scanned down three relic sites. By the time I scanned all the signatures in the system, though, I lost my internet connection and it didn’t recover.

The day after I downloaded Eve on my laptop and tried to get out during lunchbreak at work. Luckily, both the wormhole and the sites were still there, no one had touched them and the system was still empty. So I managed to get 60 millions out of there and get safely into a station.

I learned two things from this experience:

1. Bob is CLEARLY watching over me.

2. Had that happened when I was in a Echelon and had the Wormhole expired before I could log back, I would have been in deep, deep trouble: no probes and no bookmarked wormhole means I would have had to self-destruct the ship and the capsule, sinking millions for nothing.

Guess I’ll stick with my Heron, and if I get ganked at a site I hope the ganker will enjoy the killmail. That will definetely not stop me.

3 Likes

You have the right attitude for Eve. Keep it up! You’ll do well. Welcome to Anoikis o7

1 Like

Thanks! o7

Well, for now I was treated really well, I can’t complain!

It’s just a matter of time :wink: Just keep your current attitude and ask for tips on how to avoid the explosions next time

That’s actually how I made some friends in that region!
Some of them were so nice they gave me tips even before I could have the time to ask.

That said, the explosion I’m most afraid of right now are the ones of ruin sites I fail to hack twice… :frowning:

When I used to go into WH in a Heron, Id have warp corp stabs on, OK the penalties are a longer locking time and shorter locking range, but unless you get bubbled you have a chance to escape. Orbit the can at 2k, prop mod off and as soon as someone deloaks (or you see them on Dscan), warp to a pre set safe… have a improved or prototype cloak too so when you land at the safe you can cloak up

Sadly, alpha players can’t use any kind of cloak. So usually if I see someone else I strongly consider just getting out of the system as fast as possible. Especially if I see other probes.

Though the warp core stabs could be better than the nanofiber I have been using. Probably depends on how strong the scramblers of ships stalking sites can be. As of now, I have mostly been killed by Hecates, but never in a site: only once when I was entering a wormhole and once when I was escaping one after seeing people on scan.

always create a safe over 150km from the exit and never warp straight to it (the exit), warp to the safe then out if you can, if it exits into high sec he will be concorded, have an MWD fit so you can crash the gate/exit

2 Likes

As you are an Alpha player it is probably the best to go on in your T1 Scanning Frig and not buy the Echelon for simple Data Sites. Data Sites are usually worth less then Relic Sites and a T1 Frig is usually enough to hack most containers with a bit of experience.

The Reason I got myself a Echelon while being an Alpha was hacking a Ghost site. Ghost Sites usually pay of more and the Cans are quite risky, so going in with a ship that has a really strong Virus is your key to success for Ghost sites as an Alpha as it has a timer running for ratts spawning and the cans killing you in most cheap scanning ships (for further information on Ghost sites: Ghost Sites).

I think I should consider myself lucky I haven’t encountered a Ghost Site yet. Considering I had only been checking if I found a pirate name before going in, I really risked a can blowing up in my face at the first failure.XD

Anyway, those look like they require a strong virus. Still, can you manage to make it work even without a MWD or AB?

It works in most Ghost sites as the containers are not that far out, though going for more then 1 container is very risky because the time runs out quicker then you think.

But what makes this work is the special scanners range. It has 10km range instead of the usual 5km, the containers are from my experience about 15km away from the starting point, so you only have to slowboat about 5km. Then hacking the container while you are still approaching makes you able to hack at least one container before ratts spawn.

1 Like

Cool! I didn’t know that!

Also, I’ve ralized those sites appear as combat sites. That’s why I haven’t died more XD

Ghost sites usualy appear as Data Sites, though the have a really exotic name so you will notice it anyway. Ghost sites are quite rare, so actually warping into them by accident is hard :slight_smile: