Reason why I hate Eve's pvp, and its pvpers

You should look into wormholes my friend. I’m not saying that PVP is going to be “fair” or “balanced” but the fights are much more favorable when the amount of allowable mass dictates the size of the fleet, the composition, and the strategies involved. Sure there’s larger groups out in j-space that’ll “blob” you but it won’t be as painful as it is in Nullsec.

If you have patience it’s also a fun place to hunt and stalk other players as there’s no local chat. Give it a try!

3 Likes

In EVE there is no such thing as overkill.

You get the odd good fight where a player will engage you without friends but you should never expect others to want to play the same way you do.

In EVE if the fight is fair somebody planned poorly for it.

9 Likes

Abyssal PvP if you want 1v1

1 Like

There is an old Eve-quote: " If you find yourself in a fair fight, someone has already made a mistake."

8 Likes

Sorry OP but very little sympathy.

You basically are whining because you spent an hour presumably avoiding any fights where you’d be at a disadvantage only to set up at a high ground choke point where your setup is most effective and then cry because someone brought a hard counter (and some friends)?

Try taking some more risks yourself - initiate more fights outside the plex gate, roam further, fly with friends and learn to fight uphill. Perhaps by doing this you will learn to respect your opponents more rather than just publicly crying because they negated your advantage with something as dastardly as a plan.

6 Likes

Eve is more of a sandbox with admittedly some poor attempts at gamifying it’s many facets of gameplay including PvP. It’s a shame because I like its complexity but hate its presentation and ideation of what it means to be a game.

That being said, I think people like the OP are frustrated because they come into Eve Online thinking that it is indeed a game (Something with a set of rules and progress indicators). And a spreadsheet is a hellishly boring progress indicator.

Can’t say I’m any different. Eve’s complexity attracts me. Eve’s lack of anything resembling a game frustrates me. :confused:

Imagine, for a second, Apex Legends-like presentation for Faction Warfare when going into and coming out of an arena or plex. Just saying. I know it won’t happen. Just saying, it isn’t hard to understand what’s missing for the average gamer here. #knowwhatImsaying?

2 Likes

So you want to say that Eve is a fantastically designed game by its founders and horribly executed by current developers?

:rofl:

2 Likes

Only problem with uphill fighting is that Id be spending 5x more time getting blobbed, reshipping and roaming than actually finding fights where “some” ammount of tactical play was involved.

Preferably yea, if more people flew in small groups of T1 frigs or dessies more, and downshipped more often, and decided to take on a lone coercer, I could safely say we’d be having a good time, and wouldn’t be here writing this.

Otherwise, it’s not such an interesting gameplay as always too onesided, one party simply gets destroyed with no effort.

3 Likes

You can play alone effectively but unfortunately it means severely limiting what kind of ships you can fly. It also requires much more creativity.

Generally you wanna fly stuff with neuts if you’re brawling solo, that or asklepian/crystal super tanked ships that can kill many of the same class at once. Neuts will let you leave if you see enemy coming to blob you and the tank will let you just kill them all and make them look bad in front of their friends. Or hard focus on damage and pop a pyrolancea iv with two 5% dmg implants to vanquish them quickly before friends can arrive.

Just remember to the nerds that blob it feels way worse to lose a guy when you’re outnumbering them 3:1.

2 Likes

If you lose a video game and then use terms like “faggotdriven” to describe your tears you are not mature enough for EVE Online. I think you could go check out the free trial of World of Warcraft while you finish puberty.

8 Likes

It’s not PvPers in general that are the problem. It’s the crowd of boring cowards who are afraid of daring and losing in a video game. People CCP attracts on purpose, because cowards and people with nothing in their lives they can potentially be proud of, are easy money.

Gankers don’t take risks.
Players targeted by gankers do.

2 Likes

As a 2003 pvp vet, I am fighting insanely insistently against ccp and the blob nonsense they are propagating. I am convinced they have put all their eggs in the basket on this one and are trying to get press exposure for the game.

however, you know what would work better? actually getting more people! how to do that? make pvp more constant. Why cant this happen now?? because of blobs…

Sigh, Scrub designers need to be fired, as a professional in the industry i just want to smack them and tell them to go work at mcdonalds (where they belong)

1 Like

I partially agree with keldor, but only in so far as your word choices, granted you are frustrated, but still not necessary. Unfortunately the sandbox mentality of eve breeds this kind of overkill response to a simple pvp fight. and is mirrored IRL military tactics. in so far as PVP is concerned particularly in null, but also in low, if your trying to defend territory, and you respond to one ship with one ship, well you are not using smart tactics. the navy doesn’t send one destroyer to confront an enemy frigate, they send a battle group.
This is not to say you can’t find good fights, but if your going to roam into an enemy alliances space, you can’t really get mad, when the alliance responds, not just a single pilot.

Equally one shouldn’t really get mad, when that person then uses every trick in the book in order to avoid that unfair fight.

1 Like

lol true, but you have to draw a line at tricks that are deliberately manipulated in order to ensure a win. Eve is about risk versus reward, and manipulating a mechanic that allows you to bypass the risk and get only the reward is not a trick, it’s an exploit. and we know what game companies think of exploits don’t we?

1 Like

How is logging off ensuring a win? It only ensures you not getting the kill, which is equally true when you decided to undock a fleet of 20 caps for that lone T1 frigate. That T1 frigate has absolutely no chance of ever doing anything. Running away is the only option left.

Do you expect him to stay, just to get his face punched in?

If you want a fight, then undock something that is engage-able for the solo/small gank instead of a blob.

1 Like

let me rephrase that. it sounded deliberately confrontational, I have no problem with safe logging, except when a player abuses it. it’s designed to give you a way to safely exit game when you don’t intend to play for a while. but it’s being exploited to specifically avoid having to fight battles you know you can’t win, by blue balling the gang that has you trapped in their own space. As a PVPer I’d think you would dislike the idea of people roaming into your territory, then wasting your time, by safe logging, and coming back every thirty minutes to an hour to avoid you, as well. Or are you just trying to troll?

if he makes the bad choice, to roam into a space where a capital umbrella is active, then yes, he should get his face punched in if he gets trapped. this game is about choice and consequences, if you make a bad choice and wander into the wrong area, you deserve to lose your ■■■■, not be given a sure fire cop out to avoid the loss.
That’s not to defend a capital blob on a t1 frigate, that’s just fuel wasted, and anybody who does that, is just being a douche IMO Let’s not even mention if your in a t1 frigate and get locked out by a capital, you prolly aren’t doing something right given their speed and maneuverability vs capitals. lol

So at this point, it is just a variant of the “afk cloaky” discussion?

As a PvP’er, if I can’t defend my space from a single random guy, then I don’t deserve to hold that space.

As a PvP’er, I understand that in order to get fights, I need to be in something engage-able for the enemy.

As a PvP’er, I understand how the safe logging mechanic works. If someone can safe logout, then you never where in a position to kill him to start with.

It honestly sounds, like you have only seen PvP from the perspective of a participant of bigger fleets and never considered the perspective of solo/small gank.

This last post sounds a bit snarky, cause honestly not sure why you had to add “Or are you just trying to troll?”. If I disagree with you, I therefore must be a troll?

2 Likes