Remove suicide ganking from high sec

Wait. What? They’re the largest alliance in the game right now, powerful enough that basically everyone in Null who’s not allied with them had to get together in order to cut them down to size starting a month ago.

If they’re not fighting amongst themselves, the reason must be that there isn’t enough competition.

It’s like hunter/gatherers in a place that’s overflowing with game. No reason to fight because the game won’t get scarce no matter how much hunting the other group does.

But that would indicate that hardly any players are actually finding it fun to participate in high sec ganking.

But clearly many players find it un fun to get targeted by it, including a lot of new players who end up quitting after only a month or two.

And if only a few players find it to be fun, then doing away with it (or nerfing it a bit) wouldn’t really hurt the game.

It would be a strategic move. Sacrfice a few subs on one side, and retain a comparatively large number of subs on the other.

Maybe just change Concord’s rules, so they start targeting -10 standings players (including shooting their pods)?

Not by territory they’re not. Have you looked at the map?

All they have is Querious, basically.

Because there’s no profit in it. You’d have to convince people to spend time and effort white knighting for the idiots who are too stupid to keep their freighter values below the threshold for profitable ganking, and why do that when you can do suicide ganking yourself? And the people who whine about how unfair suicide ganking is and demand nerfs don’t want to work to oppose it using the existing in-game tools because that would require effort. They want a menial farming game where all of the mechanics are changed to shield them from ever having to face adversity.

1 Like

It’s only “obvious” if you don’t understand how EVE works. Nerfing suicide ganking primarily hurts competent industrial players, and it sends a message to everyone else that CCP wants EVE to be a menial farming game instead of a challenging PvP sandbox. The relatively few people directly involved in ganking are just the canary in the mine.

But clearly many players find it un fun to get targeted by it

Too bad. Perhaps they should try not being lazy and stupid. EVE is supposed to be a game where you have to work for your fun, not one where you beg CCP to remove anything you don’t enjoy.

That… actually makes a lot of sense.

That is generally my reaction when I see another player get high sec ganked. Something along the lines of “HAHA!! Less competition for me!!!”

But my reaction is different when I hear about some brand newbie getting ganked while mining in a venture. That’s just mean!

On the one hand, you can’t really expect a brand new player to have a high level of skill, so getting ganked early can just lose them quick.

… On the other hand, if they can handle the early hazing ritual (which this mostly is…) then that’s a high quality long term customer. They probably won’t quit later on when the going gets tough.

Because in Eve, the going always gets tough eventually!

1 Like

And this is kind of the problem, there are two different ganks: people killing newbies just for the fun of slaughtering helpless targets, and people ganking high-value targets because it’s profitable and gives great killboard stats. But unfortunately it’s hard to do anything about the newbie problem without breaking the game in ways that are worse than the problem you’re trying to solve. And if you pay attention to the people making anti-ganking arguments it’s very rarely genuine newbies who are angry at a system they don’t understand, it’s established veterans who want to remove any risk of loss that would get in the way of their farming goals. Their fake concern over newbies is nothing more than a tool for lobbying CCP to make their freighters 100% safe no matter how much cargo they cram into the hold.

Not only is that not true, but their territory has been the most built-up and wealthy territory in the game for the past few years. The member count matters a lot more

What bugs me about the current system is seeing some player with -10 security status freely flying around in his pod through high sec. Under current rules Concord won’t attack you in a pod, nor local navies.

That’s fine, I guess. But then Concord goes one step further, and will actually protect them if another player attack them?

That’s just too silly!!!

But I think low enough security status should make you “perma-suspect”

I should be allowed to shoot a -5 any time I see them, without Concord intervention.

It would nerf high sec ganking. But it also just brings the game closer to common sense? Why Concord protecting people who offend them???/

In fairness, noobs rarely even know how to get on the forums.

And sadly, those veterans don’t seem to realize that if all danger were removed, the price margin on their production would further narrow, and they’d be working most of the time at total zero profit.

Concord doesn’t protect -5 sec status players. In fact, even -2 is enough to lose all Concord protection in 1.0 security systems.

There is nothing preventing the other players from attacking. There is also a dedicated NPC police force called the faction police that actively hunts all low security status players.

CONCORD won’t. If you are -10 you can be attacked at any time without CONCORD intervention.

1 Like

Really!?!?!

Oh… then I guess the system’s fine then.

Here I had been thinking there was something to actually complain about.

People complained an awful lot about bumping… but they got rid of that last year. Since then, there seems to be an uneasy agreement, even among the anti-gankers, that highsec ganking shouldn’t be gimped any more.

I’m just really glad we had this discussion.

I run into gankers all the time because I play mostly in low sec. I didn’t know I was allowed to shoot them pre-emptively when they have low security status.

That seriously changes the whole game for me.

1 Like

You can shoot players with -5 sec status on the gates in lowsec and the gate guns will not protect them.

1 Like

Perhaps instead of removing ganking, people could just set up guidepoints or things to consider to reduce their chances of being ganked drastically?

It’s all cost vs reward obviously. If you’re carrying hundreds of millions of ISK in a lowbie wreathe that isn’t even tanked properly (probably at max 5k who) you’re gonna get spanked. If you don’t pay attention to who’s in local in your system you’re gonna get spanked. If you fly some tripped out blingship just for pve “just cus” you might see a mess of tornados and tackle show up at the mission zone (or just always somehow lose your MTUs).

Still I’ve seen some ridiculousness that has to be answered only by botting with some of these builds. One time I scouted out a Leshak that had a single salvager on it flying from wreck to wreck. Boi I’d you’re doing this ■■■■ you look like a goddamn bot.

Ganking is a vital High-sec tool for ALL EVE pilots! Learn the art of ganking and I bet you just might get ganked less.

Accelerate high sec ganking, thread closed.

thats ok, now with the resource update you only have to worry about ccp not allowing you to mine in peace.

1 Like

its high sec, mining and industry that allow you to go blap,blap,pew,pew. so why dont you take your own advice.